“Windmill Diner has homemade corned beef hash”

Windmill Diner and Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 277 Restaurants in Danbury
Cuisines: American
Description: Diner voted best in Danbury.
Description: Diner voted best in Danbury.
Columbia, MD
“Windmill Diner has homemade corned beef hash”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

If you crave some real food on this monotonous stretch of Connecticut's I-84, The Windmill Diner will satisfy your hunger when fast food just won't do. I've had corned beef hash in many diners, only to be disappointed when they bring out that predictable, just-out-of-the-can product which has been machine ground into something resembling dog food (yuch!). I've even asked specifically if a diner has home made hash and not the "canned" variety, only to be lied to and served the dog food as if I never asked. Of course I never go back to these places, but you still never quite get over being "burned"!

Finally, a diner makes their own hash with finely diced flakes of real corned beef in a rough chop with just the right amount of potatoes. It came to my table perfectly crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, exactly the way it should be. I got mine topped with two fried eggs "over light" with white toast. When I broke open the yolks and combined some with a forkful of hash, I experienced one of those rare moments - the real deal, a contender for the big leagues of corned beef hash.

The Windmill has all the usual diner fare, and I saw awesome looking blueberry pancakes, bacon, and omelets on nearby tables. I have no idea about the lunch and dinner offerings because I only had a breakfast menu. They pretty much have anything you want, and the coffee was just right as well. The good food is served promptly by seasoned waitresses on real dishes and mugs (yes!). The prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food. (Should I say crazy cheap?) I don't think I've seen more reasonably priced breakfast plates in years, most in the $6-$7 range. I now have a place that I can return to with confidence on my long drives between Massachusetts and Maryland. Real hash... Oh yeah! I'll be back for sure.

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank travelmanColumbia_MD

Pennsylvania
“Windmill Diner, great place to eat!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Read several reviews and was hesitant on eating there. But was close to our hotel and we were in a hurry. Boy were we pleasantly surprised! Large parking lot was packed with cars (a great sign of a good place to eat) and we were greeted and seated promptly. Meal was served fast and delivered hot. We had breakfast food, and great eggs Benedict I must say! I observed as much as I could to see where some of these comments came from. Perhaps a few customers had a bad day we all have them. Yes, typical diner food on the extensive menu...BUT IT IS A DINER!!!

• Visited December 2013
Bridgeport, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Windmill dumpster Diner, Danbury CT”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had the worst meal at the Windmill dumpster Diner, their food tastes like something scavenged from a dumpster..and the whole time we were there we heard the arrogant owner, John Rountos yelling and screaming at his slave-dishwashers.
good riddens Windmill Dumpster Diner.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Perry K
Stamford, Connecticut
“Decent for a quick meal”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We like this diner-if it's for a Sunday breakfast or a sandwich on the way home from work. The food is good - diner food. The staff has always been pleasant, a few times things have not been to my liking and I've never had a problem getting a replacement or having an item cooked more-the owner has always been accommodating. Service is fast so if you want to eat and go you can. I've also gone with friends when we have stayed a while chatting over several cups of coffee (even on a busy Sunday morning) and were never made to feel we had to rush out. It's a diner-if you want a more upscale dining experience go elsewhere. The Windmill diner is a decent place

• Visited October 2013
NYC Area
“Competent diner food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

For our visit we had an especially attentive waiter, which was not the experience of some other reviewers. The food was exactly what you would expect from a highway diner, and was exactly what we were looking for after 9 hours of playing in a Bridge tournament. I would recommend it for a quick meal from a traditional diner menu.

Visited October 2013