“lots of choices”
Review of Max 40

Max 40
Reserve with OpenTable
Max 40 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 277 Restaurants in Danbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“lots of choices”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great menu, with lots of choices. can find something for everyone from salads to burgers to pizza to fish.
Trendy bar spot

Visited May 2013

Danbury, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretentious”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Nice ambience, if a bit loud and open. Standard fare on the menu done averagely - not inspired. Bartenders more for eye-candy than ability to mix a cocktail.

Visited December 2012
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service, great atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I brought my family here for dinner. The food was great, and our server, Andre, was very pleasant and accommodating, esp. with our kids' menus. Highly recommended!

• Visited April 2013
Danbury, Connecticut
“Avoid!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Extremely pricey
Terrible food
Sub-par service

My girlfriend and I went here for Valentine's Day and we were both extremely displeased. The menu was a Valentine's Day special and had only a handful of options and the regular menu was not available. $55 per person. This is definitely above my normal price range, but for what I was anticipating on being a great meal for a special occasion, I was content on paying that.

The meal came with an appetizer, soup or salad, entree, and dessert. The appetizers were extremely tiny, but tasty enough. My gripe comes from the entrees. I ordered Chilean Sea Bass and it was moderate at very best. As someone who loves fish I was shocked that this dish just didn't taste great at all. It came with a vegetable that was decent and rice. The rice was absolutely DISGUSTING. I took one bite and almost couldn't swallow it. I made my girlfriend try it just to be sure I wasn't crazy and she had the same experience. I don't know how you can mess up rice that bad, but it was foul. My girlfriend ordered filet mignon and her meal was also sub-par at best. The steak was extremely bland and just tasted like a piece of meat quickly heated up, not a $55 steak. It came with mashed potatoes and while thankfully they were not as foul as the rice, they were also extremely bland and just potatoes. That's it. No seasoning, no flavor.

The desserts were again, sub-par at best. The service was decent enough, however I was very much turned off by the fact that they made us order our dessert along with the entrees. You really couldn't be bothered to come back and ask me at the end of the meal? I understand the dessert comes with the meal, but maybe if my food was great and I was full I wouldn't want dessert - small gripe, but it also irked me that the server brought the check as soon as the she delivered the dessert. Didn't ask how it was, or if we wanted more drinks. So I'm thinking okay, 15% tip at best...they automatically added 20% gratuity...on a party of 2!

It's not even that they were just so busy because of the holiday that they couldn't handle preparing a good meal or good service. The restaurant was half full and we would have been fine without having a reservation.

In conclusion I payed way more than I would normally for literally one of the worst meals I've had out in a number of years.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Ron S
Danbury, CT
“Service Needs A Wake-Up....”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have enjoyed Max 40 more than a few times since the opening a few years ago. The former Barca owners closed the old site and moved to the new, 'upscale' location with the supposed intent of having a larger space. The restaurant and bar are lovely in terms of decor, as the design speaks to me personally. The food is generally average to slightly above average on most days, despite starting off really good during the opening months.

However, unless you are lucky enough to have one of the servers/bartenders such as Danny (sp?), who is friendly, knowledgeable and an all around exceptional guy, you may be as disappointed as I have become as of late. I have had the displeasure of being served by one of the young ladies behind the bar on my last two visits, and the service she provided was vacant at best. No eye contact upon introduction; barely audible greetings and a cold, aloof demeanor that borders on snooty. No offer of menus from this employee, which would be understandable if she had been busy. However, this was not the case. The bar was empty besides three other young, pretty patrons who obviously were friends with the female server who spent the whole time chatting with these two men and one woman. The other visit saw the same blonde bartender ignore myself and two other business professionals (we did not know each other and sat in different sections). It took 14 minutes before I was asked what I'd like to drink, and it was from another server who was busy restocking (thanks, Danny!). The other two customers decided to leave. I could not blame them.

I could go on about how the service has degenerated into a cliquey, "club" atmosphere (even during cocktail hour times, not just during the later, nightclub hours), where unless you look a certain way, you are not made to feel welcome, but I will truncate my thoughts and offer a hint to the owner (who's name is Tony, if memory serves) and especially the young bar staff: Max 40 is a business and you, believe it or not, are sales-people the entire time you are there. Act like it. Otherwise, the free-market economy will adjust your business plan accordingly.

• Visited January 2013