“"Nice and easy to find hotel"”

Hilton Garden Inn Danbury
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Very easy to find the hotel,off Interstate 84.The pool was not crowded, not too small and open late and early!The breakfast room is very pleasant and the full breakfast buffet offer a very large choice.the rooms are comfortable.A very good experience!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel! We hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Danbury

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Overall, a good experience. We got a great rate on our room which, now that I think about it, is probably why they put us in the handicap room and skimped on supplies.

Check-in was prompt and the staff member was friendly and helpful. As Hilton Honors members, we received 2 bottles of water upon check-in which was greatly appreciated after our drive from JFK. The room was a good size and clean. There was a mini-fridge which was busted and missing a foot and it didn’t really keep anything cool, a microwave, and a coffee maker. I like the fact that they offer free wi-fi in the guest rooms and that it is a smoke-free hotel. Great TV with a nice picture and a few HD and movie channels. They do offer room service which we did not use and they have a breakfast buffet for an additional $10.95 which we didn’t do either. One of the best things about this hotel is the location as it’s right off of I-84, however if your room is facing I-84, which ours was, you can definitely hear the road noise. But, it’s within walking distance to Starbuck’s, Trader Joe’s, DSW, Desert Moon Café and Rite-Aid. There’s a sidewalk going directly from the hotel to the shopping strip which is a huge plus. They have a small room (“business center”) off the lobby which we used to print our boarding passes. They also offer a pool and fitness center neither of which we had time to enjoy.

As mentioned in other reviews, the bed was terribly uncomfortable, but we didn’t have a Sleep Number bed. Our bed was a hard foam mattress with what looked like a shearling top (see photo) and my back hurt for a few days afterwards. Like most of these chain hotels, the walls are thin and you can hear everything going on in the hallway. Though the bathroom was clean, I hated the fact that there was no bathroom fan to keep the moisture/humidity down while showering. It’s also nice to have when sharing a room for additional privacy if you know what I mean.

The one major complaint was with housekeeping. There was no shortage of housekeeping staff and we always saw 3 or 4 carts in the hallway each morning. But, this particular group was loud. Each morning we could hear them having conversations with each other (couldn’t understand them as they were in Spanish) and when they’d enter a room, we could hear them slamming dresser drawers and closet doors. As for our room, they did a very poor job of replenishing supplies and towels. By the end of our stay, my poor husband was left with a hand towel to dry himself off and we had 1 little bar of soap to use to wash our hands, but then had to remember to bring that bar of soap in the shower to get that job done. Not a big deal and we would have called down to the front desk to get more if the phone hadn’t been dead. These are things that we could deal with – not a biggie. We got a good rate. Nothing is perfect. Move on.

However, what really got to me was when housekeeping threw away some personal items. Whether we paid the rack rate or half price, I don’t expect any of our items to be taken or discarded. There were packets of eye cream, foundation, and cosmetic strips that go around the eyes all of which were thrown out. I had specifically placed them on the plastic tray where the complimentary shampoo and lotion normally sit, and when I arrived back at my room, they were gone. I can’t imagine housekeeping took them to use themselves, but I have to say my husband & I did notice a new Trojan packet sitting on top of one of the housekeeping carts on the way out which we thought was strange. If you found that in someone’s room, wouldn’t you just throw it out? So, I don’t know if they took these things to use themselves or if they were too busy talking and just dumped whatever was on the tray into the garbage. Who knows?
After we got home, we did receive an email from one of the hotel managers apologizing for the housekeeping issue and it’s nice when management does acknowledge a compliment or complaint. Would we stay there again? Sure. But, I would make sure that whatever you want to keep, you lock up tight.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms on 2nd floor face I-84.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. We value all feedback! I am glad you enjoyed some of our great amenities, such as our HD TV's, complimentary wireless internet and smoke-free rooms! We are also very proud of our helpful and accommodating staff.

We have a great in-house restaurant, the Great American Grill, which offers a hot, cooked to order buffet daily, as well as room service, lounge service and dinner nightly. I hope you have the chance to enjoy our restaurant on your next stay!

We do have a great location, right off the highway with a plaza next door with a Starbucks, mexican restaurant, pizza restaurant, pharmacy, package store and gas station. We are set back from the highway quite a bit with a local road in between us, but we are always happy to accommodate requests for rooms facing the wooded area of the building.

All of our rooms were outfitted with new bedding last summer. We are proud to offer our Garden Sleep System bedding in all rooms. Each bed has a dial on the matress to "turn up" the firmness or "turn down" the softness to suit the individual comfort of each guest. All rooms do have a shearling mattress pad which is removable.

I do apologize for the shortage of bath supplies in your room! Our housekeeping staff is always happy to provide any extra amenities desired upon request. Our housekeeping staff is very diligent when cleaning rooms and they do remove everything that may seem intended to be discarded, so I do apologize for that. I am glad you were able to speak to a manager while here as we always want to be sure our guests have a pleasant stay.

I hope that you will give us another try when passing through the area so that we can WOW you!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed one at the Hilton Garden Inn halfway to our destination. The staff was friendly, the room was clean (the cookies looked undercooked, but we didn't try them. How about a whole grain, low sugar treat?) We appreciated the assurance that everything on the bed, including the duvet and bolster pillow cover, was laundered fresh for each visitor. Amenities included real glasses and a microwave and refrigerator in the room. A breakfast buffet was on offer, but we opted for a nearby Starbucks. (There is a Trader Joe's nearby, as well, for on-the-road necessities and treats.) All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank ccdjml
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to review and comment on our hotel, we appreciate it! We are glad to have been able to offer you a comfortable break in your trip. Our guests love the cookies, but perhaps we could offer some whole fruit as well! Thank you and please visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Since I have family in Danbury, my wife, boys and I stay at this hotel when we visit. We've tried other motels in Danbury, but this one is tops for price and location.

Since the motel is right off the exit of Interstate 84, it is convenient. In addition, with a nearby Starbucks, Trader Joe's and a drug store, i.e., all within walking distance, we can get whatever we need.

As for food, there are nearby restaurants like Rosy Tomorrows (nice Sunday brunch) and Chuck's Steak House (my wife's favorite steak restaurant). For a quick breakfast, the Windmill Diner is right down the road.

If you are looking for a quick round of golf, Richter Park is an excellent public course only five minutes from the hotel.

As for the hotel staff, they and are always pleasant and accommodating. The check-in process is quick and our young boys enjoy the free cookies after the ride to Danbury from MetroWest Boston.

Rooms are always clean and they are kept up to date. The selling point for a young family is the pool, i.e., nice and clean.

Over the years, this hotel has been our choice because it is consistently very good - never any unpleasant surprises.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel and the surrounding area. We do enjoy a great location, near many conveniences. Also good to hear is that our hotel provides consistent good service and amenities. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed here for four days during a business trip. The staff here are wonderful. As someone who is on the road a lot for work, I found the staff here to be one of the friendliest at any hotel I've been to. The rooms are nice and have great HDTV's with tons of channels. The breakfast here is top notch.

The gym does leave something to be desired. It is limited to a few treadmills. Usually HGIs have pretty nice gyms and are one of my favorite "secret" hotel chains.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, our guest feedback is very important to us! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and the next time you visit us, please inquire with the front desk about complimentary local gym passes should you seek a more complete workout. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night for a good AAA rate. The front lobby is very nice and has plenty of space to sit/relax, a small bar, breakfast area, etc. As mentioned, there were always delicious cookies out on the front desk, a nice touch.

The rooms were pretty good. New 32'' HDTV, only a handful of HD channels(networks plus about 5 more) but an above average selection of the rest of the channels(SD only). Wifi seemed pretty fast. The HVAC unit looked brand new and can be controlled from the unit or thermostat. It was needed to drown out the noise from the people next door, walls seemed very thin and without the fan on all night it's very easy to hear the room next door. The beds have the "sleep number" setting but adjusting mine didn't seem to change the softness/firmness much at all. Regardless did not have any trouble sleeping. I could see the rooms on the front side of the hotel being not as quiet as they face I-84.

Breakfast was good, having gold status we got 2 vouchers for free breakfast. The regular price is $10.95 a head, a bit expensive.

If you are thinking of staying here, you shouldn't have any issues, it's a solid, clean hotel in a convienient location.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the back side. Not only are they quieter but you have a view of the woods inst...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate all your comments and hope that you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed 4 days while on business in the area. Great entry and wonderful staff. Restaurant had a great breakfast with eggs cooked to order and plenty of sides to choose from for a reasonable price. Room was very nice and clean with a great desk to work at and internet. Also fresh baked cookies at the front desk every night. The beds are great and has an adjustable comfort level. The only thing was a room on the first floor near the elevator. Extreamly noisy at night and early mornings. Seems to be the place to gather and talk business for groups that are having conferences at the hotel. Can't blame the hotel for people who like to talk loud at 6 am. Otherwise a perfect stay

Room Tip: Not near the elevators or gym
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel, we always appreciate our guests' feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and please visit us again while in the area!