“One of my favorites in Danbury”
Review of Bankok Thai

Bankok Thai
Ranked #96 of 284 Restaurants in Danbury
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I eat at Bangkok whenever I'm in Danbury, which is about twice a month, and have been going back for 13 years. The decor hasn't changed in all those years and would probably benefit from a refresh, but the food is consistently delicious. The chef, Taew, always comes out to say hello, offers me special dishes not on the menu, and gives me Japanese plum wine for dessert; she will make your dish as spicy as you can handle and then some! When she learned that I am interested in Thai cooking, she started giving me hard-to-find ingredients to take home with me. The waitress, Gail, is lovely. As other reviewers have noted, the owner, Val, can be a little crusty sometimes.

There are newer reviews for Bankok Thai

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I was surprised to find such excellent Thai food tucked away in a non-descript Danbury strip mall. A large party of 8, we entered early, without reservations, just as the doors opened. The owner accommodated us with a little surprised grumbling, but in general he was a gracious host and cognizant of the dynamics of a large multi-generation party.

We ordered a large quantity of varied dishes (personally, I have not been fond of any typical U.S. Thai restaurant appetizers: they did have a fresh seafood salad that was excellent). Green curry was fragrant with lemon grass, basil and coconut milk. A shared fried rice dish was delightfully seasoned and not greasy. The drunken noodles were a wonderful surprise (a healthy sized portion with lots of fresh vegetables). Glass noodles with beaten eggs and mushrooms and vegetables provided a different flavor palette altogether. Throughout the chef did not rely too heavily on the staple flavors or Thai food (lemongrass/basil or peanut) but showed a wide range of textures and flavors. Really a pleasant surprise. Wine list has some nice choices.

Decor needs an update not disguised by the dim lighting. White rice could have been more plentiful as an accompaniment (to be fair, we did not ask for more).

I would make the trip to eat there again!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Most dishes tastes very similar. Lemon grass flavor every dish I ordered. Bland and fatty duck. Tried again and not going back.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This place has very good authentic Thai food. The Pad Thai is delish and other dishes that I've had (can't recall the names) were also great. The restaurant itself also feels very authentic - very dark lighting and lots of traditional decor. The only complaint I have is the owner. He's extremely loud-mouthed and rude but luckily he's not always there.

1  Thank dancarina99
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very disappointed.
The owner is so rude and he can't accommodate family of 6 while the restaurant is empty.
Not a nice place to go with family stay back guys..