“Go for the food not the service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bankok Thai
Ranked #75 of 272 Restaurants in Danbury
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
“Go for the food not the service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We have been going to Bankok for years. We continue to return due to the quality food they prepare. The food is fresh and consistent. The staff however gets mixed reviews. A few of the staff members are very nice, helpful and genuinely appreciate our business. At least one staff member does not. A smile would go a long way. Recently after commenting to her that the muscles were great but contained broken shell which I ate she responded with "ok" and walked off. With a little training this resteraunt would go from 4 to 5 stars in my book.

Danbury, Connecticut
“Genuine Thai food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Although I haven't been here for a while, the food is consistently good. The service is attentive without being intrusive. Staff members are happy to describe and explain the menu items.

Anchorage, Alaska
“Best Thai food I've had anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I've been eating at this restaurant for years and find it better than anything in NYC. I’ve never had a bad meal here or experienced bad service. The woman who cooks is actually Thai and the food is authentic. The ingredients are always fresh and the prices are reasonable.

In my experience, the service has always been friendly and usually quite fast. Obviously, the best service comes when the restaurant is not too busy. The "old man" in the back booth is a part-owner/manager. He and the cook have owned this restaurant since 1986.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Thai”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is a very nice place and the food is good. The menu I am not crazy about but my fiance and I go here for thai. The food is good and the service is ok. The place has a darker feel, and alot of tables. Overall I have a great experience try the Drunken Noddles they really arent that bad

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New Fairfield, Connecticut
“It's just not Thai ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

If you want to sample authentic Thai food, sorry, but you're not going to get it here. As someone who travels to Thailand many times a year on business, I found the food here to be so dumbed down from real Thai that if I'd had my eyes closed I don't think I would have recognized what it was meant to be.

Thai restaurant owners in New York and Connecticut have told me they have to adapt the menu for American tastes, but I find it difficult to believe that somewhere serving authentic Thai cusine wouldn't be wildly popular - particularly because it would be very rare for miles around! There are a couple of VERY authentic places in Manhattan (naturally) but I haven't found one in this neck of the woods yet.

You'll notice that some of the reviews praising the food admit that they do not really know Thai food. Well, as long as you enjoyed it, that's the main thing ... but REAL Thai food is incredible and I just wish it was available in Danbury!

• Visited December 2011