“Really disappointing and a pass”
Review of Bankok Thai

Bankok Thai
Ranked #61 of 280 Restaurants in Danbury
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Danbury, Connecticut
“Really disappointing and a pass”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have been to so many Thai restaurants and this place is as watered down as it gets. My wife is Thai and could not eat the food. The soup was expensive and she said they just put some lemon in water with onions and shrimp. I tasted it and laughed. We complained and they basically said too bad. We left are meal on the table because it was all so bad. We paid and left, never to return.

USA
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

It was my wife's and my first time ever eating Thai food. She wanted to go there for our anniversary. She told me that it always smells good when she passes by so she convinced me to go. It was Black Friday and we went for lunch - we figured it would'nt be too crowded - we were right.

Service was really good. All lunch specials costed $8.50, which included an entree with rice and spring rolls and soup. We ordered dishes that were not too spicy since it was our first time.

I had chicken and cashews and my wife had chicken in ginger sauce. Both dishes were prepared fresh with fresh ingredients by the owners wife, who is from Thailand. Both dishes were great. I like to eat and found the portion not to be very manly, it was perfect for my wife. The spring rolls (three) were very good but were too small...like three pinkys. The rice was good.

We had the chicken in coconut milk soup...it was okay...very different for me. Lots of flavor and very rich.

The decor was very nice and we were told that the place gets packed on Friday and Saturday nights - so you should make reservations.

We splurged for the coconut ice cream which was just okay. Overall we have a very nice experience and we will go back. Next time I'm having the shrimp soup (spicy) and shrimp entree.

P.S. I have read previous reviews about "the man in the back booth", who is the owner/manager - who is supposedly quite a character...we did not see him however, maybe next time.

• Visited November 2011
Sherman, Connecticut
“Food Fresh ... Service Needs an Upgrade”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We went to Bangkok Thai for my daughter's birthday. She loves this place and the food. I must agree the food is very good and you can tell it is very fresh. We had a lot of courses since we were celebrating an event. Every course whether it was the appetizers, soups, dinners or desserts were all very good. Even the house wine and Thai beers were enjoyable. My only problem was with the timing of the ordering or delivery of the food. My review is based on the fact that my family owned and ran a restaurant in NYC for many years and I worked as a waiter in NYC. When we sat down, a gentleman came to the table and asked what we wanted to eat. I ask him if we can order our drinks first as we review the menus. He was obliging and brought us our drinks. Then a young lady came by to take our orders which included all of the above items except the desserts. WE were surprised when our appetizers started coming out one at a time with a 10 minute wait between each one. So one member of the party had to make the decision to wait for the others to be served or start eating. With the 10 minute wait the food was becoming cold. The main meal did come out all together. In the restaurant business, timing and pacing is very important for the customer to have an enjoyable experience. All this place has to do is watch their pacing of ordering and delivering the food and it would receive five stars from me to make it an excellent restaurant. But if you want a great Thai restaurant ....this is the place.

• Visited October 2011
Kingston,Ontario
“Another Canuck approval!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Five Canucks visiting the area reluctantly went into this restaurant because of our lack of knowledge of good Thai food. We were amazed! The menu was good,so we asked to speak to the chef, who was the owner, she came out, we voiced our reluctance, she then brought to our table a sampling of some of her best dishes. Her husband, who had heard we were there and a previous visitor to Canada, came out to help in the service and guidance while eating Thai delicacies. This place was great, the food was awesome, and since returning home, now have put Thai food restaurants on my list!

• Visited June 2011
Carmel, New York
“We will never return to this restaurant - too bad because we eat out a lot!”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We had been going to this restaurant for years and alway found the service and food to be good. The last time we went, we were told to sit in a booth that was so uncomfortable and tight that we asked to be moved -- and the restaurant was empty. We were advised that the only available table was near the door which let in cold air every time it was opened. No tables had reserved signs on them. We walked out and never went back. It's bad to lose our business!

• Visited December 2010