“Average But Good For Fast Mexican Food”
Review of Desert Moon Cafe - CLOSED

Desert Moon Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place is o.k. but nothing to rave about. It's another Mexican Style place and the prices are o.k. I find that many of these Mexican Type restaurants are all about the same. Few are as good as ones that I've eaten at in Florida and over the border in Mexico.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you have a hankerin’ for Mexican, Desert Moon Café is decent. We’ve eaten here several times and I would say 8 out of 10 times, the food has been good. I generally go for the rice & beans bowl (around $7) which is a very [un]healthy portion size which I usually cannot finish. The quesadillas are a bit on the bland side, but you can spice them up with some hot sauce. I think the prices are reasonable. This is Fairfield County, after all, and spending under $20 for 2 people for dinner isn’t bad.

After placing your order at the counter, you’re given a receipt and they’ll call your number when it’s ready to be picked up. The wait time isn’t bad and in the meantime, you can help yourself to a Coca-Cola beverage from their “Freestyle Fountain” which I just love – over 100 possible flavor combinations limited only by your imagination. They also serve alcoholic beverages should you be in the mood for a margarita or cerveza. In addition to Freestylin,’ help yourself to one or all three of the unlimited salsa flavors and a little bag or two of tortilla chips.

As for the prior reviewer questioning why they have Fox News on I say, “why not?” That’s actually one of the reasons I like to stop by Desert Moon on Mill Plain Road. It’s one of the few public places that actually dares to be different. Besides, it’s not like it’s being displayed on a jumbotron. You would actually have to be seated pretty close to the TV which is up in the corner of the restaurant to even see what’s going on. I think the place could use a little renovation. The booth seating near the entrance really needs to be replaced.

All in all, though, it’s good. It’s far better than a Taco Bell and maybe not a Moe’s or Salsarita’s, but for what’s available in this area of CT, it’s a good choice.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have been going here for years, both on Mill Plain and in the mall. I always thought this place was a way larger chain than just the two stores, it definitely has that feel. For what it is it is okay, not great. You can get decently legitimate Mexican food quick and easy. It's obviously far and away better food than Taco Bell, however it is honestly not even close in quality to its closest competitor's Chiptole & Moe's. The thing is it is actually more expensive than both Moe's and Chiptole and the food is not nearly as good. Once the Chiptole opens I'm sorry to say I will not be returning here.

On a side note - the Mill Plain restaurant ALWAYS has Fox News playing in the restaurant. WHY

1  Thank Ron S
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This place is good when you need your Mexican fix - I ate at the Desert Moon in the mall nearby, so the menu was limited, but i was satisfied and would go back. I only ordered tacos, but they were really good and the sauces they offered were also really good. I would like to try their breakfast options they offer next time I am in town. They sound much more appetizing than going to Starbucks next door!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Really good food for fast food and you can have chips and salsa on the side for free. You can even get a beer here..if youare over 21