“VIP Suite was terrible”

Ethan Allen Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We stayed for a night so we didn't have to drive home after a concert at the Ives Center. My girlfriend splurged for the VIP suite and we were looking forward to a nice room.

We found a relatively large room, with a very nice bathroom, but a closer look revealed below average lodging:

There were stains on the rug, a bottle cap behind a chair, stains on the ceiling tiles, a broken part on the toilet seat. Stains on the furniture (Ethan Allen is a FURNITURE company; their headquarters are located BEHIND the hotel - stained furniture should not be an issue!)

For what it is worth, the hotel was near empty the night of our stay - if there were stains in one room, but the others were fins, why not move us to another room? Are they all this bad?? Make me wonder...

Our view - the VIP suite is located on the 1st floor with a view out the window of a rear entrance to the building. So we had people walking by our window & smoking outside. When not waving to the floks passing by, we enjoyed a lovely view of a brick wall, broken sidewalk & a dumpster.

Room service - we ordered two meals for breakfast - we asked for coffee, but we were happy to hear that it is included with our meal. But we had to call back down after the food arrived in order to get the coffee. And then we realized that we only received 1 set of utencils.

Overall, a disappointing experience. From what I read on reviews here and elsewhere, plus the hotel's own use of terms like "elegant", "lavish" and such had me expecting a whole lot more, esp. at the price we paid. I wish I had done more research, just drove home (or even camped instead...). I cannot recommend this place nor will I stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JMac333
HeidiDenver, Public relations at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2007

Dear guest:

Please accept our apology for the less than stellar experience you had at our hotel. We are completely surprised by your comments and have immediately looked into the condition of our suites and all our rooms to ensure this does not happen again.

We are not sure where the system failed to alert us that a room needed attention and we have used your comments as a tool for training our staff. In fact, we have a new Director of Rooms whose specific job it is to focus on overall guest satisfaction, the condition and cleanliness of the rooms, the service levels and ensuring that all our guests leave having their expectations exceeded.

We do hope that you will try us again in the future and wish you would contact me, Paul Williamson, Director of Rooms, directly to make your reservation. I am sure that your next experience will be what you would expect from a first class hotel.

Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for Ethan Allen Hotel

Reviewed August 5, 2007

Unfortunaly we found far more dislikes than likes during our stay at this hotel.

We checked into one of the VIP suites. We quickly noticed that the room was not up to any “VIP standards”
The carpet was stained throughout the suite. 3 out of the four chairs were badly stained as well. A high-end furniture store like Ethan Allan should do much better!
There appeared to be mildew spots on the ceiling tile above the bed. The closet door was jammed and off its track. The bathroom was nice BUT the toilet seat was broken and there were water stains on the ceiling.
The TV was placed in the one area that unless you did some serious furniture rearranging you could only watch from the bed. The sitting area was primarily useless.
The view is very disappointing. The room is situated on the ground floor. The window was facing one of the side entrances to the hotel. Our view was of a brick wall, an ashtray and gravel. Obviously it being an entrance, people were coming/going and smoking. This made it impossible to open the curtain to let ANY natural light come through.
There was no turn down service, no bottled water, and no chocolates as advertised. We ordered room service for breakfast, as there were no meals included in the exorbitant room charge. When the meal came, we were missing utensils, coffee and butter. We had to call room service twice before everything arrived. By the time everything was brought to the room the food was cold.
When checking out, I expressed my unhappiness and received 0 acknowledgment, not even an apology.
I am a firm believer of getting what you pay for which is why I booked the suite to begin with. One expects a certain standard with a “VIP/Bridal Suite”. We paid the price for the “Ultimate in luxury” experience but got a below sub-standard room. To say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement.

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank TRNorwalk

Dear Guest:
We are so sorry that your experience at our hotel was not acceptable to you. In fact the issues you mention are of course a concern to us. We have a high approval rating from most of our guests so when we hear of a stay such as yours we are surprise and concerned.

Our goal is to provide a high degree of fine, personalized service and we did not deliver this to you. We are working on all the issues that you mentioned. With our new Director of Rooms, we have a new leader at the hotel who is focusing on high standards of service, cleanliness and quality. He is working closing with all the hotel departments to ensure that an experience like yours remains out of the norm.

We do want you to know that while we don’t attempt to say we have beautiful views just based on our location, we are working on improving our views from the ground floor guest rooms. We are adding potted trees and flowers and in fact are upgrading the front of the hotel to improve the visual experience.

We also have a new Food and Beverage Director, Chris Capiris, who is working closely with our room service department to ensure a high level of service, exceptional food quality and consistency. In a short time we have already seen great improvements under Chris.

Reviewed May 22, 2007

I was a guest for a wedding and found all the staff to be helpful. From the moment I checked in at the front desk, even to the servers at the reception. I forgot to mention that I could not eat one of the items served for dinner and a new meal was happily bought out to me. My stay was comfortable and relaxing and the breakfast brunch was great too! I would go back again if I ever need to stay in the area.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 12, 2007

Having had a rather poor experience at the hotel we had booked to spend our wedding weekend, we decided to give it another go and treat ourselves to a quick weekend away shortly afterwards. I went to the Ethan Allen Inn website and booked a room through a promotion that they were currently running. The price (I can't remember the exact dollar amount, but it was definitely under $200) included a king bed junior suite which was of a good size and had a separate sitting area with its own television. The furnishings were all Ethan Allen, so were both nice and comfortable. My sister had thoughfully pre-ordered a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, which were chilled and waiting in our room upon arrival (they forgot to leave a note indicating who had sent them, but that was sorted out afterwards and was not a problem for us). The price we paid also included a full dinner at their restaurant, in addition to full brunch the following morning. Although the food was not particularly memorable and I probably would not go to the restaurant if I not staying in the hotel, it was definitely of above average taste and quality for a hotel restaurant. Check-in and check-out both went smoothly and, overall, my husband and I quite enjoyed our night out and would probably do it again if they have the same or a similar deal and we feel like the need to get away for a quick trip.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2007

A large black ashtray sits right outside the entrance doors so the first thing that hits you is a waft of second hand smoke. We were traveling with a 6 and 4 year old and when we arrived, we asked the staff at the front desk for a restaurant recommendation. They insisted their in-house restaurant was great and perfect for families. We should have turned around the moment we realized we were the ONLY people there! I ordered shrimp scampi which was so rubbery it was inedible. And as for family friendly, the best the waiter could do was serve our kids their drinks in crystal decanters. We reserved a king jr suite which was a room divided by a half wall - on one side was a king size bed and the other a pull out couch with a large coffee table in front. Problem is that you have to move the table in order to pull out the bed and the only two places to put it is in the room with the king size bed (blocking access to the bathroom) or in front of the main door (blocking access in case of fire). Very poorly thought out. The main common areas are nicely appointed although we did run into a drunk stumbling out of the bar which is next door to the supposedly family friendly restaurant. The last straw was having to take a cold shower in the morning because there was no hot water available. Front desk clerk barely grunted at us as we left. Couldn't get out fast enough.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LondonMassachusetts

Dear guest:
Our goal at the Ethan Allen is to exceed the expectations of our guests and we apologize that this was not your experience. We do appreciate your comments because it allows us to see where the occasional lapses in our service levels are. We use these comments in training with our staff, and we are highly focused on training to continue to improve our service delivery.

We are sorry that your restaurant experience was not as you had hoped. We are a very family friendly hotel and many families have experienced a relaxed and enjoyable meal with us. Our new Food and Beverage Director, Chris Capiris, is working hard with the kitchen staff to ensure a consistently exceptional culinary experience as well as the wait staff to deliver personalize and efficient service.

We are working on the outside of the hotel with adding planters and ensuring that all views from the guest rooms and the entry experience is much more pleasant for all our guests.

Reviewed December 14, 2006

I stayed here one night for business. I thought this was a lovely budget to mid-priced hotel (the room was $80). Compared to other hotels in the price-range, the Ethan Allen Inn was very nice. The room was clean, comfortable a new (i.e., nothing seemed worn).

The staff I encountered were fine - nothing amazing, but no problems either . Though I will admit that the gal at registration in the morning I left was clueless and not terribly competetent...I woudn't have wanted to have to deal with a problem with her. She was struggling with another guest about how to get that morning's breakfast charged to the room (I would imagine a common request, which should have a quick and easy solution).

Overall, I thought that this was a very nice hotel for the money.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We were in town for my brother's wedding, and from the looks of it, we thought the Inn at Ethan Allen would be a very nice getaway. After all, we expected the same quality from the Inn as we did from the furniture company. Big mistake!

From the beginning, there were problems. When we got into town, we wanted to freshen up before the rehearsal dinner. Our shower curtain had hair all over it, along with chunks of old soap. Housekeeping never came to clean it up, and over the course of our stay, they were virtually non-existent. When they finally came to clean up, they didn't leave clean towels.

The "luxurious pool" is the size of a large bathtub, and they don't have enough chairs around it for many people to sit.

Many of our family members had major problems with this hotel, including a break-in, rooms "not being ready" way after check-out time (unacceptable), the hotel only has 2 luggage racks available... the list goes on.

Don't bother wasting your money at this awful hotel. If you are staying in Danbury, CT there were 5-6 other big hotels right around the same area as this one, and I'll be willing to guess their staff would be much more helpful.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business