“Staff not knowledgeable” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Staff not knowledgeable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

When asked to check in early they refused. Then when I did check in my room was on the other side of the hotel. The staff should have told me to drive around the back, but they let me walk all the way around the hotel. Then when I asked to switch rooms, they seemed not to know their inventory. Then I asked for a late check out they said sure 12:00 pm(only issue is that 12 was what was listed on the door) Oh yes one of the TV's was not programed right and useless. Those things aside. The hotel was showing its years and I personally would stay at the Crown Plaza down the road if I was in the market for a 3 star hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tunlaw75
TripJanice, General Manager at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

I welcome the opportunity of speaking with you further about your recent stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at (203) 448-7100.

On behalf of the hotel team, I want to extend my sincerest apologies for a less than pleasant experience. I hope to hear from you soon! Thank you -

Regards,

Janice Perna-Nicholas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Ridgefield, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had booked the "Romance Package" for our wedding anniversay, flowers, chocolates, wine and dinner. I had booked a King Suite and was very pleased with both the check-in process and the room, spacious with a separate sitting area, nice bathroom, 2 TV's and a Keurig coffee machine. The chocolate dipped strawberries were wonderful, as were the Roses and wine. All very good so far.

We dressed and went downstairs for dinner to be told that the restaurant was closed for a private dinner, why we were not told this 2 days earlier when we booked I have no idea. The staff on the desk were very apologetic, the manager, however was both unfriendly, unapologetic and quite frankly, useless. I was asked who I spoke to when booking, which felt like and accusation, but luckily both desk staff stated that THEY were not aware that the restaurant was going to be closed. The manager dismissed them and told them that he had sent a letter. Felt very bad for the staff that had to work for this guy, sending a letter to staff was clearly an ineffective way of communication and I certainly felt that as I moved away from the desk the staff were berated. Not a pleasant experience.

We were suggested a couple of local restaurants, bit of which looked significant less upscale than I was looking for so we made our way to Ridgefield and had an absolutely fantastic meal at Sagi. It truely saved the evening.

Breakfast was OK, the manager was around again, but despite clearly seeing my wife and I, he refused to make eye contact or even as how our evening had been.

While the hotel was very nice, the staff were good, the room excellent and the package great value, I still feel that the experience was soured by the management. If it were not for him, my rating would have been excellent.

I would recommend, but tread carefully.

Room Tip: We had a King Suite on the 6th floor, it was very good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NTW25
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ethan Allen Hotel to celebrate your wedding anniversary.
We are delighted you chose us to celebrate such an important event in your marriage.

We are pleased you reserved our "Romance Package" and enjoyed your king suite accommodation, roses, champange, chocolates and all of our wonderful amentiies.

Unfortunately, that evening Fairfield's Restaurant was closed due to a private event. On behalf of the team, I want to extend my sincerest apologies for this inconvenience and for the experience you encountered with one of the managers on my team. However, I am glad you and I had an opportunity to discuss this over the phone.

The next time you and your wife want to return, please call me directly at (203) 448-7100, so I may personally assist you. Your future business is important to me and I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you. Thank you.

Best,
21 Lake Ave. Ext
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Overall, the hotel is fine. It is inexpensive and close to the highway which makes a good option for those that are traveling through Danbury or visiting the Ethan Allen HQ. That being said, the hotel is going through a renovation, and definitely needs it. Once it is done, it will be a nice option for the area, but for now, it just looks and feels worn.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

We are delighted you found the Ethan Allen Hotel to be of great value and conveniently located.

You will be pleased to learn our multi-million dollar guest room renovation has been approved and will begin in July. We look forward to your next visit so you can enjoy our newly renovated product. Thank you!

Best,

21 Lake Ave, Ext
Griswold, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We originally stayed at Ethan Allen due to its proximity (right off RT 84) to Western CT State University's Westside campus and its nightly rate. But after the first stay, we discovered it was very nice stay overall and will continue to stay at this hotel when wanting to stay over. The staff from top to bottom are very accomodating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TripJanice, General Manager at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Paul,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ethan Allen Hotel in Danbury! We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

We are delighted you found our hotel comfortable, clean and the service excellent. We truly pride ourselves on hiring and retaining the "best" employees in Danbury. Thank you for rating out 5 out of 5 for service!

The next time you intend on returning to Danbury, please contact me directly at (203) 448-7100, so I may personally assist you with your accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Thanks again -

Regards,

21 Lake Ave. Extension
Danbury, CT 06811
Oro Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

After an in auspicious start finding a silverfish in the sink of our first room the hotel staff (front desk-patty, Kate, Abby), the maintenance staff (Jose), the Restaurant (Madeline), and the Housekeeping staff provided the friendliest and best customer service we've ever experienced.

While the hotel is in the process of upgrades, the lobby, common areas around meeting rooms, and the restrooms are of the highest quality, consistent of what one comes to expect of Ethan Allen's fine furniture. If the guest room upgrades are of the same quality, EIA will no doubt be a 4 star luxury hotel again.

Currently, the rooms are quite comfortable, though dated. Still the quality of EA furniture remains comfortable even after years of use. New carpeting, paint, and wall paper when combined the the best of the best EA offers in fine furniture, EAI will no doubt be one of the best hotels in CT again.

We had a great stay at probably the most reasonable price in the Danbury area.

Room Tip: Upgrade to executive king to enjoy a more comfortable room, better towels, and furnishings.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TripJanice, General Manager at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Perry,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Ethan Allen Hotel in Danbury, CT. We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

Thank you for rating us 5 out 5 for great customer service. We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay and found our staff; Patty, Kate, Abby, Jose & Madeline, all pleasant and helpful. We truly pride ourselves on hiring and retaining the "best" employees in the marketplace.

As you know we will be renovating all of our guestrooms this summer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. When you are ready to return, please contact me directly so I may personally assist you with your accommodations. The best way to reach me: (203) 448-7100.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Ethan Allen Hotel.

General Manager, Ethan Allen Hotel
(203) 448-7100
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

A great value and very pleasant hotel. From the front desk, to cleanliness of the room, to a great breakfast and service, I enjoyed my two night stay. I spent four times as much in Washington DC and no where near the quality of stay.

Thank you Ethan Allen on a job well done. I'll be back again soon!

Room Tip: I booked on line and it was as simple as it gets.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WilliamF784
TripJanice, General Manager at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear William,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ethan Allen Hotel. We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

We are delighted you had a memorable stay and thought we were of good value. We are further pleased you found the hotel "clean"; our breakfast delicious and the staff superb! We are forunate to have an "outstanding" team of professionals at the Ethan Allen Hotel.

The next time you plan on returning to Danbury, please feel free to contact me directly at (203) 448-7100, so I may personally assist you with your accommodations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and often!

General Manager, Ethan Allen Hotel
(203) 448-7100
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

While visiting family in the CT area this past January, we chose to stay again at the Ethan Allen. We will never stay anywhere else! The beds are very comfortable, the wifi worked well. I would have to agree on the age of the TV's but honestly that isn't why we stay in hotel rooms. I have stayed at other "Brands" of hotels and the only thing I could suggest is offering a rate that includes the breakfast buffet (which I might add is superb!) or offering a discounted rate to staying guests as opposed to those who come to the Ethan Allen for breakfast. Other than that, I highly recommend this property to anyone staying in the area. The setting is beautiful and walking through the lobby is a visual treat.

Room Tip: I have always asked for the top floor and the rooms facing the rear of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TripJanice, General Manager at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for returning to the Ethan Allen Hotel in Danbury, Connecticut. We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

We are thrilled you like our hotel and will continue to stay with us when visiting Danbury. We have an "amazing" team of employees who truly care about our customers. We are delighted you enjoy our consistent service & quality, value for price paid, as well as our beautiful hotel setting.

We are further pleased you enjoy our Ethan Allen Supreme Comfort Mattresses; liked our complimentary Wifi and enjoyed breakfast in Fairfield's Restaurant.

The Ethan Allen Hotel is undergoing a $3 million dollar guest room renovation soon and the TV's will be replaced with flatscreens.

Please feel free to call me directly at (203) 448-7100, so I may personally assist you with your future hotel reservations. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

21 Lake Ave. Extension