“A pleasant surprise”

Ethan Allen Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My 50-year high school reunion was held here and I stayed overnight because it was the easiest thing to do, although I expected it would be not-so-good. I was wrong. Parking was easy and adequate; check-in was easy and informed: the gal noted that I had requested a quiet room and I got it! The cocktail I bought from the bar was excellent; the food at the reunion was good, as was the wine served. Unlike one reviewer, I liked the open, large-room layout (and the fireplace!) and found nothing awkward about it. Likewise the 'lack' of vending machines. I wasn't crazy about the decor but I'm not living there, so who cares? OH! And the bed. Fantastic. I have back problems and expected the worst. If it isn't Memory Foam it's a great substitute. I slept very well. While I don't go to Danbury often, if I did I would stay here.

Room Tip: Request for quiet got me put in a high (5th fl) room, which was perfect.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
TripJanice, General Manager at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Kay,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ethan Allen Hotel in Danbury while enjoying your 50th highschool reunion. We appreciate your comments and welcome your feedback.

We are pleased that you found our parking facilities easy and check in pleasant. We are further pleased that you enjoyed your cocktail in our lounge; found our staff detail oriented and the food served at your reunion very good.

We are delighted that your bed was "fantastic"! We have "Ethan Allen Supreme Comfort Mattresses" in every guest room and thrilled you slept well.

We are happy that you will return the next time you visit Danbury. Please feel free to call me directly at (203) 448-7100, so I may personally assist you with your reservations.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Ethan Allen Hotel - we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The good: Adequate service, not impressive, just adequate.
Mostly clean and quiet enough for a restful night's sleep

The not so good: No vending machines just a pantry with expired snacks
Awkward layout because it is an older property.

Would only stay here if I get the hotel at 2 star rate. Was here last year just after the power outage resultant from the unexpected October snow storm. During that stay, I found myself pitted against staff who were challenged to think outside of the box when I was unable to shower due to another unexpected power outage (asked if there was a work out facility with reciprocity where I could shower & get ready, they said no - they finally waived one night of pet fee's but wouldn't reimburse otherwise). Same can't think outside of the box thinking was employed during my stay almost a year later. Would like them to get up to par with the shining star hotel attached to the Outback not too far away - that hotel is doing it right, this one should take notes...

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a good room based on the age of the property. It was difficult to navigate the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Lily,

Thank you for choosing the Ethan Allen Hotel. We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

We are pleased that you found our hotel clean and you experienced a restful night's sleep.

We are sorry that you were not completely thrilled with other items you mentioned. If you want to discuss this with me further, I invite you to call me directly at (203) 448-7100 as your future business is very important to us.

Look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you.

Best,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here on a trip for a wedding and it was a very nice weekend. This hotel was very convenient to attend the reception and stay in the same place. Great space for entertaining and the rooms were very large. The bed was very comfortable and the rooms are simple yet charming.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed at the Ethan Allen as a guest of a wedding being held there....check in was professional and efficient, wait staff at the cocktail hour was amazing - always polite and professional, worked the entire room instead of stopping at the first group and emptying their trays. They had plenty of food and that was delicious as well. When we moved into the ballroom for the main meal and dancing, I never saw a more efficient staff serve a wedding. We did not wait long for our meals and the food was served hot and was very good. Our room was amazing - we stayed in a king suite - it was super clean, the furnishings were very nice and we had more than enough room. I agree with another reviewer - the furnishings and decor are comfy - not stuffy. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet the following morning as well - lots of fine selections for the price and the wait staff there was also very polite and accommodating. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
TripJanice, General Manager at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Alice,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ethan Allen Hotel in Danbury, CT. We appreciate your business and welcome your comments.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding you attended at our hotel. We are thrilled our team was professional and efficient. We truly pride oursleves on hiring and retaining the "best" employees in the marketplace. We are further pleased that you liked our Ethan Allen guestroom furnishings and found your room "super clean". Rest assured, we will share your positive feedback with our staff.

When you choose to return to Danbury, please contact me directly so I may be of personal assistance to you. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and often. Thank you!

General Manager, Ethan Allen Hotel
(203) 448-7100

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a wedding block. It was a very nice hotel with friendly staff in their Fairfields lounge. Checkin staff was also super helpful and fast (there was a large number of people checking in when we arrived). Overall a nice experience and I'd stay here again if in the area. The hotel is about to undergo a major renovation though.

• Stayed: September 2012

We are pleased that our staff was both pleasant and friendly in Fairfield's Lounge and at the front desk, and they were quick and efficient. We pride ourselves on hiring and retaining the "finest" employees in the marketplace.

You will be happy to learn that the first phase of our renovation is complete. Our ballrooms, meeting space, lobby & public areas look "gorgeous"! We look forward to your return visit so you can enjoy our improvements.

Please contact me direcly at (203) 448-7100, so I may personally assist you with your reservations. Once again, thank you for your comments!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My family has been staying at the Ethan Allen Inn in the summer as a midpoint between Washington, DC and NH for at least 17years.

First, the hotel is comfy, not slick in the sense of a lot of visually post-modern and uncomfortable decors and furnishings that are currently permeating the hotel scene. You can actually find a comfortable chair to sit in. The beds and rooms are comfortable especially the suite layouts, and it's possible to have some peace and quiet after long day on 95 as a road warrior.

The best thing about the Ethan Allen inn is the dining room. Having trouble believing this? Well, back in the day it was a memorable lobster ravioli that was to die for that made the hours on the road come to a lovely end. Our most recent trip this summer included another outstanding meal of roast pork loin in a delicious sauce accompanied with polenta and vegetables. It was a delicious combination of flavors, and my partner had an outstanding vegetable Napoleon. Not surprisingly we discovered that the chef comes from the Culinary Institute, in Hyde Park, NY. The breakfast buffet in the mornings is outstanding, and if lighter fare is of interest, the bar has a full menu of salads, sandwiches, burgers, etc. We splurge here because it's worth it, it's a treat, and a lovely hot meal in an attractive setting, makes the day's road challenges melt away.

Room Tip: Not surprisingly with the outstanding kitchen, the Ethan Allen Inn hosts receptions and wedding rece...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying here for a wedding event. The staff was exceptional in all areas of the hotel. The hotel was clean and well maintained. The hotel is ideal for both leisure and business travel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family