“Drunken wedding party, until almost 2:00 a.m.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Hartford Cromwell

Courtyard Hartford Cromwell
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cromwell
Wethersfield
“Drunken wedding party, until almost 2:00 a.m.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

I'm not sure whether ours was the same weekend stay as the previous reviewer (written on Sept. 27), but we had an almost identical experience, very recently.

In previous years, we have come here for a quiet respite, because it is close to home when we need a break...but no longer, after this past experience, and upon reading similar experiences by other travelers.

For one thing, even though I am a Mariott Rewards member, I was not provided with a requested *range* of rooms on the second floor, conveniently close to the side entrance nearer the parking lot, so that my mother would have an easier time walking... I had made this request in advance of our stay. Instead, upon check in, the clerk directed us to another room in a much further area...she indicated that if we did not like the location, to move to yet another room, even further from the front entrance.

Now I understand what she meant by 'if you do not like the location'.

This room was directly above the courtyard. Little did we know at the time, that there would be a wedding party exactly below our window, which lasted well after 1:30 a.m., or even longer. Needless to say, this was not a pleasant experience. We had come here for rest. I am not certain what happened around that time, but one of the other guests probably called 911, as I have read in the review below mine...

I do not think it is fair, to disrupt all the other guests in the hotel, just because of management not wishing to 'upset' a drunken wedding party...that is not right. I suppose the 'dollar' is the bottom line.... Everyone else just has to deal with it, because they have not paid as much as this drunken brawl has.

The other thing I noticed this time, was that there is now no 'floor lamp' in our room-- and the outlets covered up, where the switches once were. I honestly do not know whether this was only in our room, or whether the entire hotel had been recently changed this way...I am willing to bet on the latter. In any case, a lot of light is important to us, and was one of the primary reasons why we chose this hotel in the past. A chair without any kind of light next to it is simply impractical. If 'going green' (?) means 'one less light bulb' in the room and a guest cannot easily read, I simply don't go along with that.

The hotel is very clean, and the staff courteous. I do have to say that. However, after our most recent stay, we will most likely be finding a different hotel, the next time around.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank HotelGuest123_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lake Placid, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

I travel to CT a lot and have stayed in at least five different hotels in the Cromwell-Middletown area. My stay at the Courtyard by Marriott was not one of the best experiences.

While the hotel is sufficiently clean and functional, the management is terrible. On the Saturday night of my stay, a wedding party was also in residence. They seemed to be having a moveable party that went from room to room, all accompanied by loud noise, yelling, and blaring music. Why people think that staying in a hotel gives them the right to party in the hallways is beyond me.

Hotel management that condoned this behavior didn't help.

By 1 a.m., I called the front desk to see what they could do. The clerk said he'd "send someone up." I waited for an hour. Nothing happened. I finally went down to the desk to talk to them in person. The front desk clerk's response: "We can't really do anything. They also paid for their rooms and their business is important. We have 20 rooms booked for that party."

Are they serious? They're going to let people run around the hotel, screaming, blasting music, and spilling beer and they won't do anything because they don't want to anger the hoodlums!

While I was still absorbing what the desk clerk said, two more guests appeared in the lobby to complain about the rowdy guests. They got the same answer but that wasn't good enough They decided to call 911. That's right, they called the police.

I'm not sure if calling 911 for rowdy hotel guests and terrible management is the best approach, but it worked. Having two police officers walk in with night sticks in hand got the attention of both the unruly partiers and the front desk clerk. The partiers left to go party elsewhere and I got moved to a new room on a different floor.

Bottom line: Any hotel stay that ends with the cops being called is not a five-star experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank raku8
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

This was a good hotel for a wedding party. The bar was very accommodating after the wedding and front desk service was good. Hotel is just ok, it's more of a convenience of location hotel, right off the exit. The wedding was down the street from here.

I recommend trying the Cromwell Diner across the street. Great food and clean inside!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Cromwell, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

The staff has got to be the best of any, I have had at any other hotel . From the check in making me feel so welcome and happy to see me . They could not do more to make sure everything was ok and meets my needs. I got to the room and the phone rang. Front desk asking if the room was ok(wow) After relaxing for a while I went to the dinning room to eat, againg the staff was right there to make sure I had what I wanted. I ordered the NY strip. After 3 maybe 4 minutes the cheif came out to make sure he knew just how I liked it cooked . (Hell my wife dosn't do that LOL) After dinner I went to the longe where the bar tender was the same way . Full of smiles and fun and makes everyone sitting there feel like there home.
My room was great ! Lots of room , big tub and shower /clean

The olny place I have ever had this kind of service in at my Time share

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
cromwell ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

I have been staying in this hotel since 1995, sometimes for weeks at a time, other times for single nights. The service level has never varied from the excellent care and attention to detail, to the quality of the service from the staff that makes you feel very much at home.If my travels and business needs take me to Connecticut, I stay here

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Niantic, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in May 2011. I booked at a Courtyard because I am a Marriott Reward Member and have found Marriott hotels to be consistently high quality hotels. NOT THIS LOCATION. The room that they gave us was an adjoining room-never again. It was adjacent to a room filled with a drunken, rowdy middle aged (NOTE: these were NOT young people) wedding party. They had the door propped open and the ENTIRE FLOOR REEKED of alcohol. They were LOUD and RUDE and finally after 11:30 p.m. or so I placed a call to the front desk. They claimed they would send security up. Not sure if they did-there was only a 5 minute lull in the noise until I heard someone shout loudly into the adjoining door "They think we're loud? Let's (expletive deleted) show 'em LOUD!!!!!" and then they erupted into a loud synchronized roar. Called front desk again and the unfriendly and unprofessional staff sounded exasperated (the two girls had been having a personal conversation in ebonics at the front desk all evening and did not want to be interrupted) and said "Well, we already sent someone up.". Really? Too bad. Send someone again. The people next door finally quieted down after midnight once they passed out. The hallway still reeked. The staff never offered to move our room, offer a discount, or even apologize. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ramsgirl78
dos0122, Manager at Courtyard Hartford Cromwell, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
The Courtyard by Marriott, Cromwell appreciates when guests take the time to review our hotel. We take all feedback seriously and as expected, we regret when our guests have an unfortunate experience, however we take pride in our customer service and we work hard to make sure each guest stay is enjoyable and comfortable.
Southampton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

Stayed here last week on business, part of a group. It was arranged and booked by someone at work. Anyway we showed up on our bus, and someone from the hotel came out to welcome us, etc. And suggested we go right to the "happy hour" with free wine, beer, wings, etc. instead of standing in line for our room keys. Great idea! The staff at the happy hour refilled our glasses before we even asked, and the wings etc. were great. Check-in was quick as it was arranged in advance for our group.

Room was fine. Clean, no weird smells, included a refrigerator and WIFI. I had 2 PCs and my smartphone connected to the WIFI easily, and it was a fast connection.

Breakfast was included for our group but I don't know if it's that way for everyone. The breakfast buffet was very good, not just the cold junk you often find at motels these days. It included eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, all kinds of stuff. The staff at breakfast were very quick to fill juice and coffee glasses too.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromwell
Radisson Hotel Cromwell
Inn at Middletown
Inn at Middletown
#1 of 3 in Middletown
Hampton Inn Hartford / Airport

Been to Courtyard Hartford Cromwell? Share your experiences!