“Convenient and clean”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cromwell
Waterford, CT
“Convenient and clean”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I was looking for a place just for one overnite and selected this location. It was fine! Clean room, spacious, check in easy and front desk person was very friendly. There was a nice pool indoors that I didn't use but seemed appealing. It is a large facility able to accommodate conventions but parking was still ample. I would stay again if I was in that area.

• Stayed November 2013
Steven G, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Cromwell, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback! Thanks for recognizing our clean, spacious room and the fact that check in was easy and front desk person was very friendly. We look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Hebrew first
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed at this Crowne Plaza hotel for one night on business. I reserved this hotel because of the Crowne Plaza brand and it’s central location to where I needed to be. I have stayed at a lot of Crowne Plaza hotels so I assumed it was a pretty “safe bet.” This hotel was not exceptional, or even nice, by any stretch of the imagination!

First, the really good parts. The STAFF was amazing! Truly amazing. Everyone was so kind and so friendly and so very helpful. Front Desk staff was prompt and efficient as well as very accommodating. The Concierge Lounge staff was exceptional – very welcoming and very kind. The Concierge Lounge was the best feature of the hotel; it’s nice to have a place, other than the room, to hang out during some free time. Room Service was also very efficient and gracious. Overall, the staff was great!

The bad parts... the rest of the hotel! This hotel is old – very old – and it’s showing it’s age. The lobby was nice, clean, and inviting. Once you pass that, good luck – it gets worse very quickly. The elevators were old and very slow, so just getting to the right floor took a while. I was first checked into a “suite” on the second floor. As soon as I got off the elevator I was met with a dark, smelly hallway that was very poorly marked which made it difficult to find the room. Immediately upon entering the room I was struck with the smell – it was awful! It can best be described as a combination of musty, locker room, and billiards hall all put together with just a touch of swimming pool chlorine. It was horrific. I didn’t even put my stuff down in the room, but rather returned to the desk for a new room. The happily changed my room but now I was in a “executive” room – supposedly among their newest – on the forth floor. The room was dark, very dark, even with all the lamps on. I will say they made an attempt to keep the room clean and housekeeping should be commended, but the condition of the room was vile. The wallpaper was peeling at several different locations in the room – all the way from the floor to ceiling you could see the “bubbling” wallpaper. The rug was tattered, frayed, and torn. The furniture didn’t even match! One side of the bed had a glass table, the other an old wood nightstand! It looked horrible and there really is no excuse for such horribly mis-matched furniture – it just shows that management doesn’t care. The nightstand was battered beyond belief... the finish was chipped, the corners all torn up, deep scratched all over it. The headboard of the bed was the same... the finish was coming off and clearly hadn’t been attended to in a long time. The TV was new – likely because the hotel had no choice but to upgrade those. The window gave me an amazing view – of the roof of the building next door and the very loud air conditioners on that roof. The bathroom was so very tiny it wasn’t possible to close the door to get ready because you couldn’t turn around. There was rust on the floor tiles and, of course, peeling wallpaper! The tile and tub were horrific – a very sad, depressing gray that reminded me of movies that take place in mental health hospitals in the 1960s. The tiles were also chipped and grout was missing. The phones in the room were so old some of the buttons stuck – calling for a wake up call I couldn’t get the “0” to unstick. There was nothing good about this room. I was, by far, one of the worst rooms I have ever seen at a Crowne Plaza hotel! It’s not even close to the Crowne Plaza standard that I see at all other hotels when I travel. It’s not what I expect in an urban area, just south of Hartford, Connecticut.

This Crowne Plaza also doesn’t have LodgeNet or any in-room movie system. I have never seen a full-service hotel, particularly a Crowne Plaza, without an in-room movie system. It just doesn’t make sense.

I am an IHG Rewards Platinum Elite (which I earn the hard way, thru a lot of stays) and I am floored that this Crowne Plaza hotel would have such rubbish rooms, as well as put their Platinum Elite Guests in such rooms! The hotel needs a lot of work – a lot! I feel very badly for the staff. You can see that housekeeping works very hard to try to keep it clean but they can only do so much. Also, the dedication and “service attitude” of the Front Desk, Concierge Lounge, and Room Service is noteworthy. It’s unfortunate the staff is forced to work with such a dated, old hotel that is clearly not maintained and does not meet Crowne Plaza standards. What makes it worse is the rates for the rooms – not cheap by any means! I don’t mind paying Crowne Plaza rates but expect Crowne Plaza standards! And not the pictures on the hotel website are deceptive, that’s not what the rooms look like in person.

I wouldn’t stay here again – it’s just not a comfortable hotel. I would rather stay nearby at a limited service Holiday Inn Express than return to this hotel. I would encourage others to look at other hotels because this Crowne Plaza has seen much better days in years past.

Room Tip: Don't expect great guest rooms here -- keep your expectations low.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Steven G, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Cromwell, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such extensive feedback. We are thrilled you gave our staff such high accolades for the work they do. I apologize that you did not find the remainder of your stay satisfying. I have contacted you privately to discuss your concerns in more detail. Thank you for the follow up.

Travelers are raving about these Cromwell hotels

Midland Park
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Hotel has very nice rooms for conventions and presentations. Room vary in size and set up good for all groups. Catering was excellent. Hotel rooms a little old but very clean. Staff was very friendly and professional. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the great review regarding our meeting facilities. We just completed a renovation this past August on the ballroom and other meeting rooms.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Professional, caring staff! Checked into the hotel -- only to find that I had made my reservations for the wrong night. Karen Hendricks at the front desk didn't blink an eye -- and was able to get me a room for that night. However, I'd originally booked my room using a special Priceline rate. So, I figured I was going to lose that rate at the very least. However, Karen did some quick research and was able to keep my rate the same. She didn't have to do that -- but she put in the extra effort and it meant a lot to me. Thank you!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Steven G, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Cromwell, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you so much for recognizing Karen H as going above and beyond to take care of your reservation. She was thrilled to get the feedback and we appreciate the great review!
Methuen
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Once again we have stayed at the Crowned Plaza Hotel Hartford in Cromwelll, CT. We were there for the FurFright convention. As usual, the hotel staff was fantastic and the hotel itself was great. Lots of parking. Looking forward to returning in 2014.

Green Features: This hotel recycles. There were recycle containers in our hotel room (as well as a regular trash basket) and there were many recycle containers throughout the hotel. I wish more hotels would do this.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Steven G, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Cromwell, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Awesome! Thanks for your comments and we are thrilled you had a great time at the convention! We look forward to hosting the event again next year.
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here with friends for a convention over the past week.

Upon arrival I noticed how small the hotel was, but that wasnt a issue. There was plenty of parking. The entrance of the hotel is nice, the basic hotel feel.

The room was my major issue. It was so small for a two bed room. The bathroom was even SMALLER. Many people have also reviewed such on T.A. The bathroom was uncomfortable to do anything in because of its size. When you sit down on the (already tiny sized toilet) your legs where about to hit the tub in front of you. Towels in the bathroom where rough as well, and the tub took a long time for the water to drain, so it was clogged up.

We had the room that was suppost to go to the "pool" area, but our sliding glass door was broken and would not open, so we where stuck with a glass door right next to our windows to hear the loud pool noises and couldn't even go out that way ourselfs.

Besides the tiny and outdated room, we had just one issue with staff. The male bar tender who waited on us, (or rather ignored us the entire time to the point of us walking away) was so shocking. The bar was very busy with people from the convention, but we where skipped so many times we got mad and left.

The public bathrooms by the ballrooms and conventions room where kept very clean, which is a plus. For as how many people where staying at the convention, the overall hotel was kept clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations in all areas but are happy you enjoyed yourself at the Fur Fright Convention.
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here for a midweek golf get together with friends. Picked hotel as it was a central location. Checking was flawless, was upgraded to concierge level. Manager on duty Ira was outstanding. Bartender Joe was friendly and handles a full bar easily. Ladies in concierge lounge were welcoming. It was like sitting in you own living room. Two nights sleep and the bed was so comfortable, no back ache! Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Steven G, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Cromwell, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thanks for the great comments about our staff and our "comfortable" beds. We hope the good nights sleep helped your golf game!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromwell
Courtyard Hartford Cromwell
Hampton Inn Rocky Hill
#3 of 5 in Rocky Hill
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden

Been to Radisson Hotel Cromwell? Share your experiences!