“Diamond in the Rough”

Mitchell's on Main
Ranked #12 of 65 Restaurants in Cromwell
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Vail, Colorado
“Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and in search of a great place for breakfast & lunch near our hotel. A quick search online for the best in Cromwell pointed us here. It was about an eight minute drive, but was well worth it considering the usual strip mall junk that was all around the place we were staying.

Off the beaten path in the one stoplight downtown of Cromwell, CT you'll find a surprisingly fantastic greasy spoon of a place called Mitchells on Main! I was shocked to say the least. This part of middle Connecticut is pretty devoid of great spots to eat in this price point much less one that is privately owned like this one. Don't be fooled by all the chain restaurants big hotels down the road by the freeway that is not downtown Cromwell and you won't find this place there. A little exploring to find this place and you'll be well rewarded with awesome scratch made food prepared with care.

Don't listen to the naysayers, this cafe is great and I'm sure they get slammed so if someone had a bad experience with the person answering the phone or a little "curt" service from a server or management I'm positive there was a reasonible explanation. We were met with friendly service, great prices, and exceptional food. So good in fact that on our first trip I had two sandwiches for lunch and returned the next day for bereakfast!

My wife had a bagel sandwich, pretty basic, but cheap and tasty.. My mother in law had the cold lobster roll, I had the hot one, and for "dessert" I had the meatloaf sammy. All were great! Especially the lobster roll's- light, fresh, & yummy. Truely legit, and not too fishy. The real standout of the show were the breakfast potatoes though. I had them with my lunch and they were so good that I had to return the next day and get them with breakfast.. Truly not to be missed!

All in all a great place, I just wished I lived closer so I could come here again and again to try everything else on the menu! Go here, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited November 2012

Cromwell, Connecticut
“Just average”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nothing special here. Another greasy spoon. They should spend a little time cleaning the grill. The atmosphere was a little on the dingy side. Service was average. I would rather cook my own food.

Visited November 2011
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
“Their homemade chicken and rice soup is awesome!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

You can get a breakfast meal during any hour they're open. The apple cinnamon pancakes are sooo fluffy. The chicken philly sub hit the spot. It's a nice family run business.

Visited August 2012
Portland, Maine
“Not quite what it used to be, but satisfying nonetheless”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Was recently in CT for a college reunion, and a friend and I went hunting for an old breakfast haunt in Cromwell that we had been to 20(!) years ago. We took the old familiar turns down the road, but knew when we pulled in the parking lot that the name didn't seem familiar. Indeed, Mar-shells was now Mitchells on Main, but it looked familiar enough that we stayed. The menu varied a bit (we recalled the once delicious scrambles you could get at Marshells, but we had very respectable omelets with the most buttery toast you could imagine. Service was prompt and friendly. Bathroom needs some help. It's not the place of my youth, but I would not hesitate to go there again if in the area.

• Visited May 2012
Middletown, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not impressed”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Tried this place a couple times. Wasn't impressed the first time; gave it a second shot and wouldn't go back. Tables are sticky, wait staff was slow, and potatoes had pools of grease under them. Too bad because they have a great location and is just about the only breakfast place in cromwell.

• Visited May 2012