“not impressed”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Columbia, Connecticut, United States
“not impressed”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We went to The Lakeview Restaurant with friends recently. Although the outdoor seating on the lake is beautiful and the atmosphere is fun, our dining experience was less than adequate.

The nachos were poorly made, an attempt to be slightly "different" that failed miserably. We ordered a few drinks off the drink menu which had so little kick we suspected they were watered down. My husband ordered a glass of chardonnay and even that was mediocre. At least they couldn't mess up the Sam's Summer.

Although the fish sandwich was tasty my veal picatta had no flavor and the pasta was undercooked..

Our waitress was very pleasant and did a great job. She even made mea fresh pot of decaf which I enjoyed. We got to see a marriage proposal, that was special, however I won't be returning anytime in the near future for a dining experience.

Really too bad as their location is ideal.

2 Thank Kate S

Connecticut
“We will never return!!!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We just recently moved back to the Connecticut area and heard this restaurant advertised several times on the radio and were excited to give it a try. It was a little after 9pm when we came in and were greeted by the male owner. We asked to sit at the bar. Probably my only positive about this restaurant is that it actually has a very nice bar setup. It is a pitty however that the rest of the restaurant does not live up to it.

Upon being seated we had a young waitress come and take our drink orders. I ordered a Margarita and my boyfriend asked about the Scotch. The waitress returned with her mother, who also happens to be one of the owners, who listed two types of scotch off and then said "before we go any further I need to see your ID's." Never in my life have I heard some ask for them in such attitude. She then proceeded to take them over to the other side of the bar and pull out a magnifying glass to look at them and when that still wasn't enough she continued to walk around until she found the perfect light. I wish I was kidding. Two minutes later when she returned with the ID's I was more than ready to simply leave. I do not mind having my ID checked as I manage a hotel with a bar and I make sure it is my staff's priority but I would never allow them to ask a person for their ID in such a way that it makes them feel as if you think they are trying to pull one over on you. It was beyond rude.

I was ready to leave as soon as the incident occurred and would have had it not been late and my boyfriend was already beyond hungry. We ordered the sampler platter as I had pretty much lost my appetite. The food was merely okay but I will give them credit for large portions. However it took 10 minutes of our drinks sitting empty before they got refilled. I had to ask twice for water. And after saying we were all set and having the plates cleared the owner proceeded to sit down and eat at the bar while talking on her cellphone and after waiting an additional 10 minutes we finally asked the daughter for our bill.

I was not impressed in the least bit. To say I was completely disappointed would be a huge understatement. It really is sad that this is how the owners see fit to run their business.

3 Thank AntiquedTravel
New York City, New York
“Avoid avoid avoid!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

While the setting is decent, everything else just isn't. The drinks are watered down, the food is mediocre, and while the staff try, they are brow beaten by the owners who are usually on site. Customers do not come first at this poorly managed location. A stress free dinner is not a guarantee here. If you want to chance a threatening confrontation with Seinfeld's "soup natze" , you can't say you weren't warned. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Tony S
Windham, Connecticut
“Excellent seafood!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We went on a Saturday night. We were seated right away. It took a bit for a waitress to come take our order bu they definitely made up for it with the food! The mussels were delicious as an appetizer, the baked stuffed shrimp was amazing and the baked scallops were also extremely flavorful. The view was great as we dined as well. At first we though that the food was coming out slow but in all reality it was perfect timing, it allowed us to relax, digest and not feel as if we were being rushed so they could seat the next person. The live music was also a great touch. I would efinitely come back and have and would recommend Lake View!

Visited June 2013
Storrs, Connecticut
“Terrible owners I feel sorry for the people who work here!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went to the Lake View restaurant with another couple for a couple of drinks and dinner. I had a Gin and Tonic and could barely taste the gin. My wife and our friend had margaritas and we could hardly taste and tequila. Exceptionally weak drinks. This was the best part of the night. Our friend ordered a Pear dinner salad, WITH NO ONIONS, she hates onions. The salad came with no pears and lots of onions. She politely told the waitress and the waitress apologized and took it back. It came back out a few minutes later with no pears and it appeared that the cook took the onions out of the salad by hand because there were still a few onions in the salad and no pears. At this point our friend went to talk to a manager and was directed to the owner (wife of the husband and wife owners). Our friend politely told her story to the owner and she (the owner) was very defensive and told her don't talk to me like that and that it would best if our friend did not come back to her restaurant! WOW! talk about customer service???? When our friend returned our table she had the waitress take back the salad and did not eat it. The waitress said that she would take it off the bill. We then left. On the way out our friend and her husband went inside and told the owner (wife) that she was disappointed with the service and had heard some negative reviews from some of her friends. The husband owner started yelling at our friend (in front of other customers) and told her not to come back. These people accepted NO responsibility for messing up our friends order and were extremely unprofessional and hostile! These are scary people. I will never go back here and will advise my friends about these people. I have never seen owners of a restaurant so outright unprofessional with no concept of customer service. I feel sorry for the people who work here. The husband owner is a bully. When I read other reviews of the restaurant on Trip Addvisor it all made sense.

2 Thank George H