“Fabulous Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Fabulous Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Small, quaint restaurant; don't be put off by the building. Beer and wine only. They serve a large wine pour but the glasses were spotty and the server was inexperienced. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Large menu. The bread is crusty, hot and fresh. Arancini delicious, calamari oreganata is salty and flavorful and not breaded, long peppers are loaded with heat and sautéed with garlic cloves and served with wonderful bread. It will clear your sinuses. Dinner salads fresh and crisp, a small intermezzo. Chicken Mediterranean a tad sweet, rich and decadent. Salmon is a large portion and very moist, fresh and loaded with flavor. Lemoncello cake not too sweet. Coffee and espresso were good quality. The timing of all our dishes was almost perfect. I didn't care to box my own leftovers. Please don't ask me to place my dirty knife and fork on the table and reuse them. The service here could use a little training to be of the same quality as the food.

• Visited October 2013

West Yarmouth, Massachusetts
“great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Easily the best food in Coventry, Italian or otherwise. All the dishes are very good but the fettucine carbonara is to die for and the veal and chicken dishes are also top notch. The restaurant is small, but whether we've eaten in or gotten food to go -- it's never disappointed.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Lots of gluten free options”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Good portions & tasty. Make sure you make a reservation. This place is small! Cut the waitress a break...she's the only one. It has a lot of gluten free options.

Colchester, Connecticut, United States
“Fresh and wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Have had lunch there several times, great food and value! Had dinner and it was delicious! Ask the owner for the private selection of Angelini Pergola Rosso, a special wine that has limited production, hard to find - a unique taste that goes great with his Italian dishes.

• Visited July 2013
Coventry, Connecticut
“Best Italian in Coventry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My first time to this restaurant, I was not entirely impressed. Please see my prior review. After getting a coupon on groupon, I decided to give this place a second chance.

This place is a little hole in the wall restaurant with only 9 tables and a take out counter. It is run by an Italian husband and wife whom are always present. Upon first entering this restaurant I was taken back by the heat. It was unbearably hot, as if the AC was not working. Hopefully this was a one time thing (last time I visited in November). The décor was quaint and charming which reminded me of an old school Italian restaurant. The only off-putting things were the two flat screen televisions on the walls of the dining area, which displayed soccer on one and sports center on the other. Not sure the rationale for these TV’s as it is not a bar…but I got over that very quickly. The paper table cloth and the childish paper setting didn’t class it up either, but maybe that is the image they were going for. Overall I felt at home at this place.

Next on my list is the service, as the first time I came to this place I was annoyed at how slow it was. For the second time, nothing has changed. We were seated it took 12 minutes (yes I timed this) for someone to greet us at our table and offer water to us and take our drink orders. The wine did come out within the next 2 minutes, which was pleasing. She took our dinner order about 20 minutes later and overall it took about 2 hours for the entire meal, which did not include appetizers or dessert…just dinner. This is due to the fact there is only one waitress. However, it did not bother me this time, as I knew exactly what to expect. If you go into this place with the expectation of a slow meal, then you will not be disappointed. Sit back and enjoy the mom and pop experience!

The menu was a bit overwhelming. About six pages long with about 40 items on each page. I was surprised to see Buffalo wings and burgers on the menu…but once again maybe they are trying to please everyone. It took a lot of time to navigate and read everything on the menu, but we finally chose the Parpadelle ($17) and Caviatelli ($20). Past dishes ran from $16-24 and the meat dishes were in the $22-28 The dishes came out and they were loaded with pasta (typically for us Americans), the sauces seemed home made and the ingredients appeared to be fresh and not canned. The tomato sauce was a bit too greasy for me, but had a fresh and vibrant taste. Overall we both agreed that our dish was good…nothing spectacular…but good. Much better than Angelino or the Olive Garden, but nowhere close to Bricco’s or Trattoria De Lapri. From a wine perspective they did not have a wine list but they had about 8 bottles of wine (some very good bottles) that we could choose from. We decided to go with the house Chianti as we were not expecting to stay for a long period. The wine was decent but they charge $8 for a glass of house wine (which from my recollection is Walnut Creek which is $8 a bottle). This was my mistake as I should have remembered this from last time. We had about 5 glasses between the two of us as we were there for two house, which racked the bill up another $40. We took a Tiramisu to go, which did cost another $8, but was well worth it as it was out of this world.

Overall, the food is good, not great, and overpriced for what you are getting. I have been to all the restaurants in Coventry and most the surrounding towns and this is by far your best bet for Italian. Although the prices are high, this is due to the fact they do not turn many tables over. To give my business to a mom and pop restaurant who are cooking good italian dishes, I definitely did not mind the prices. The overall meal was an experience and I will be glad to go back

• Visited August 2013