“Best Italian food around!”

Francesca's Italian Bistro
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Best Italian food around!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

From the outside the building isn't much yo desire bug take the chance, the food is out of this world!!! You won't regret it.

• Visited June 2013

Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
“Small Gem in Eastern Connecticut”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Several friends and colleagues recommended Francesca's to us, and our first visit on a Friday for dinner was very rewarding. Tables are crowded into a limited area, but we didn't feel jammed in with the other patrons even with just about every table occupied. Service was very friendly and attentive without ever becoming intrusive. The owner came to our table to inquire about our experience, and quickly assured my wife that they would happily prepare one of the menu items with an extra ingredient she likes included; just let our server know on our next visit. It was a very hot day, with the sun still out, but the air conditioning kept the dining area comfortable despite its proximity to the kitchen and number of diners.

Ambiance and friendliness are fine, but one's restaurant experience ultimately depends on the quality of the cuisine. This is where Francesca's chef Sal really shines. The complimentary fresh-baked rolls brought to our table still warm were absolutely superb: crisp on the outside, deliciously moist and flavorful on the inside. Our entree-included salads were simple but very well presented, with romaine, tomatoes and olives and the house Italian dressing was the perfect accompaniment.

Each of us ordered entrees we've come to favor at other Italian restaurants. My wife liked the veal piccata, and next time will try the pasta putanesca dish with shrimp added. Our devotee of chicken francaise was very pleased with his order. And I very much enjoyed the chef's version of veal marsala. The red hues and small pieces of tomato at first surprised but then quickly delighted me with outstanding flavor, and the perfectly prepared veal and mushrooms.

Two of us ate only about half our generous main dishes, to leave room for dessert. We both ordered the tiramisu, and our server brought an extra fork for our third participant to be able to share. Without question, it was the best tiramisu I've ever enjoyed! Very light, both the spongy flavorful lady fingers and the fantastic marscapone layer. A review we saw made reference to Francesca's "talented pastry chef," which we agreed was a serious understatement!

Prices were moderate, and considering the very high quality of everything, quite reasonable. Reservations are a must, as word about Francesca's continues to spread, and the capacity is so limited.

1 Thank OldCTProf
Tolland, Connecticut
“excellent food”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

A friend told us about this restaurant. Looking at the place from the outside, you wouldnt think
to eat there. Once you walk in everything changes. It is quite small, maybe 10 tables. It has linen tableclothes, nice wooden tables and chairs too. The food...OMG! The food, where do I start. The menu is huge! Every item has about 4 different ways it can be prepared. From homemade pastas to seafood, to veal to chicken. We ate there on a Wednesday late lunch
loved it so much we returned on Sunday! We are so happy we are only 20 mins. away!
The food tastes so good, it is prepared from scratch so sit back and relax. You will not be
disappointed! Bree, the waitress, told us on Wednesday that on Sunday they would be serving a lamb dish. We returned on Sunday and it wasnt on the specials. We asked the waiter, he said
yes, we have the lamb how do you want it, or do you want me to tell the chef to surprise you!
My Husband opted for the surprise and man was he surprised! He had 8 lamb chops, cooked with feta cheese, olive oil, tomatoes etc. My husband said it was the best meal he has ever had!
The food is out of this world. The owner/chef can prepare you anything you like IF for some reason you cant find anything on the menu that you like. He has a gold mine there. Please dont pass it by just because how it looks from the outside. Try it and you will love it!! But remember, to call to make reservations any time of the day and night since they only have 10 tables! especially on the weekends! enjoy! We will be back very soon! p.s. dont forget the desserts...yummy! homemade canoli's!!!

South Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Excellent food”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I made a reservation at Francesca's based on reviews on trip advisor. It was a special occasion (UConn Graduation) and was looking for some place nice with good food away from the crowds in the Storrs area. Having never been to this restaurant I was a little surprised at how small it was, considering the great reviews. When we pulled into the parking lot I thought we had the wrong address! But don't let the outside of the building deter you from going in. As others have said, the restaurant is very small and tables are close, but this adds to the ambiance and personal service. When I asked for a wine list I was told the wines were displayed on the wall and our waiter suggested I let him select a wine for us based on our preference for white wine. We were not disappointed. His selection was excellent and complimented our dinners nicely. The menu is quite extensive and it is a wonder how this tiny place can have such a diverse and large menu, but none of us were disappointed with our choices. The food was excellent and individually prepared. It was what I expected true, authentic Italian food to be. It rivals the North End of Boston with a greater selection! The portions are plentiful and we all took leftovers home. This really was a great meal. The staff are friendly and appropriately attentive. We never felt rushed and enjoyed a relaxing, leisurely dinner. The only negative I can say is that the house dressing for the salad was a little too vinegary for my taste, otherwise, everything was great. I would not hesitate to go back, it is worth the drive. I recommend reservations due to the size of the restaurant. I imagine on busy nights there is quite a wait without one.

Connecticut
“Worth a Visit”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We tried this restaurant for the first time last week after watching crowds fill the place for several months, and now we know why they came: great food, great service, a friendly atmosphere. The food was freshly prepared and a pleasure to eat. We never felt rushed and were able to enjoy a leisurely meal. There is only room for about 24 patrons, so if you go during busy hours a reservation is needed. My recommendation would be to go a little earlier than the crowd to have a chance at getting a table without reservations.

• Visited April 2013