“So disappointed”

Louie's Italian Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Louie's Italian Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 32 Restaurants in Cos Cob
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Putnam Avenue
Harrison, New York
“So disappointed”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Made a 7pm reservation for 5 people for a Sat. night. A celebration dinner for our group. They called us that afternoon to confirm our 6:45 res. and insisted that's what was booked. Ok, we show up at 6:30 to have a drink and the maitre'd tries to seat us which we decline. He actually came back 10 minutes later and looked at his watch! We sit (a table right behind us at the bar), they rush (the waiter plopped the specials board on the table between me and my friend mid-conversation), the bar fills with people who are now bumping into us. It was almost laughable except that our celebration was truly ruined. They bring the check while we are still eating dessert and luckily someone noticed that they had included a 20% gratuity without mentioning it - for 5 people? Never experienced that. We paid the bill and took our coffee to the bar because we were so uncomfortable, which had now emptied out. I noticed that the table of two next to us who sat down at the same time were eating their entrees. I would actually have respected them if they had kindly explained the obvious and offered to buy us a drink or dessert at the bar- they were overbooked and needed our table. Instead, we paid for a very expensive dinner that was possibly the worst dining experience i've ever had.

• Visited March 2013

New York City, New York
“Liekd it Better as Auggies”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The spot has been here for ever but it was several years ago the the opends of Polpo took it over and truned it tinto a routine family itlaian spot. Ambiance is so-so.
Nothing special but fine if you wnat a place not in thetown of Greenwich.

Visited September 2012
Armonk
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simple Tavern style restaurant”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Tavern style restaurant. Food was very good. The place is a little laud, simple. The service was decent and their pricing was reasonable. Causual atmosphere. I would recommend for afun dinning expierience with friends or family.

Vero Beach
“You've Got to be Kidding!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Just recovered from a horrendous meal at Louie's last night. From the moment we got to our table to the minute we left the place we were so uncomfortable that we could not wait to leave the place. First we were greeted by a waiter who spoke so unclearly and was absolutely no help with the menu. No explanation of dishes, no friendly greeting, no real sense of how to make customers feel welcomed, he was obviously NOT happy to be working at Louie's.
So we ordered overpriced wine (White for $40. that sells for $10. in wine shops, and red that in wine shops sells for $20 for a bargain at $60. I am being facetious).
The food was so mediocre and flavorless that we all (6 of us) were shocked, really! Tasteless pasta, cold rubbery calamari, red sauce that had not a touch of attraction and looked like red water, seriously.
Even the parmesan cheese they brought to the table was like ground sawdust, having likely sat in the dish for a few days in the fridge so that it completely lost its zest. The most astounding phenomena was that all the other diners in the place seemed to ignore the very bad food and continued to talk so loud that we all felt we were at a boxing match instead of a Greenwich, CT restaurant.
How this place will last if anyone stops to critique the food and ambience is beyond my comprehension. The comparatively low prices to other southeast CT eateries is the only hope, but will people really ignore poor service, horrible food, and battleground noise? I don't think so!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank theNYSALJ
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Resurrection on the banks of the Mianus River”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

For well over a hundred years, there has been a tavern, bar (no doubt speakeasy in the 1920s), gin mill, dive, restaurant, etc., on River Road Extension just above the Boston Post Road in Cos Cob (part of theTown of Greenwich). When I came to Greenwich 46 years ago, this block-plus was almost a mini-slum and the place was known as Augie's, catering to a blue-collar (or no-collar) clientele. Augie's is gone, the mini-slum is no more, but this pleasant old building has been cleaned up, spiffed up and reincarnated as a very pleasant Italian restaurant. It is a handsome place: the historic bar survives, but the ambiance is upscale but without (something of a rarity in Greenwich) being overpriced or pretentious. My family and I have eaten there a number of times, most recently last night: I had swordfish which was expertly prepared; my son in law had a mussels and pasta dish on which the sauce was so good he asked for (and instantly received) an extra allocation; and the service is pleasant. I've noted some earlier reviews, and I don't know where those reviewers ate in SW Fairfield County to think Louie's os 'overpriced.' My daughter remarked just last night that the veal and other dishes were not much more expensive than they are at our local pizza takeaway.

• Visited May 2012