“Best food in Colchester - by far”
Review of Cafe Mangia

Cafe Mangia
Ranked #6 of 42 Restaurants in Colchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2014

Cafe Mangia is a gem in Colchester. The restaurant is small, so I suggest making a reservation. We had to wait a few minutes for our table. Staff greeted us warmly and offered us a drink while we waited. We were sat in no time. Our waitress was very accommodating. I was with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while, so we were slow to order. The waitress didn't pressure or hound us a bit. I appreciated that. We started with a vegetable bruschetta appetizer. The veggies were grilled to perfection and the balance of olive oil/balsamic was spot on.

For dinner, we both chose the salmon. Mine was served over risotto and I opted for the veggie medley. The salmon was cooked through (as I like it). It was heavy on garlic, but I like that, too! The kitchen is open, so it's nice to see the staff preparing the food. I feel it adds to the atmosphere. My only complaint --and I shouldn't even call it a complaint as it wasn't a big deal -- is that the drinks were rather weak. We were drinking cosmopolitans. They were flavorful, but tasted light on the booze.

We did not save room for dessert. I even had leftovers, so I'd say the portions are substantial unless you are a big eater.

Lovely place, good food, hospitable staff. I will definitely try Cafe Mangia again.

Date of visit: August 2014

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We were very hopeful after reading several reviews, so we decided to visit on a Friday night without reservations. On the positive side, they were able to accommodate us. Also on the positive side, the wine by the glass is a generous pour.
Not so positive was the underseasoned food. We started with the special bruschetta. It turned out to be a smear of tomato sauce on bread with some mozzarella cheese melted on top and some basil sprinkled on top of that. Not pleasing at all. Perhaps if we had ordered the regular bruschetta it would have been ok. One assumes the special is indeed special.
Husband ordered the spaghetti and meatball (huge meatball) and said that the meatball was very underseasoned.
I ordered the chicken piccata and one of the two cutlets was dry, so much so that it was hard to cut. The other one was much more tender, but both again suffered by being underseasoned. On the other hand, the capers that came with the dish had not been rinsed, and so they were overwhelming briny. The risotto that came with the dish was very good.
We did not stay for dessert. Nor do we plan to visit again.

Date of visit: August 2014
1  Thank finegael
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We have been visiting Cafe Mangia since it opened and love it! The food is fantastic, though a little expensive. The staff is friendly and courteous. The owners are great, love the guys!!

Date of visit: September 2013
Reviewed August 5, 2014

A quaint little place on the way to Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun casinos. The at-home feel is apparent as soon as you walk in and see locals enjoying their meals. Comfortable setting, for a soft paced dinner. Typical Italian style, don't rush through the meal to fill your stomach, rather take the time to savor each bite and enjoy your company. Worth a trip.

Date of visit: July 2014
Reviewed July 25, 2014

It was nice to find this small cafe in Colchester. There were three of us for lunch. I had a BLT wrap, nicely done. We all liked our lunch. The staff were friendly and helpful when we asked for slight changes to our menu selections. We ate on the outside screened porch and were very comfortable. However, the street noise was high with passing trucks. I would go here again.

Date of visit: July 2014