“My favorite restaurant in town!”
Review of Cafe Mangia

Cafe Mangia
Ranked #4 of 39 Restaurants in Colchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Colchester, Connecticut, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite restaurant in town!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Cafe mangia is small but quaint. The service is outstanding and the food is amazing. The risotto is the best I have had anywhere. My favorite dish is the penne pasta with wild mushrooms and asparagus in a cream sauce. It used to be part of the menu but is now usually a special. Even if its not a special, they are always willing to make it for me. I highly recommend Cafe Mangia!

• Visited August 2013

Connecticut, United States
“A nice surprise!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I tried this restaurant recently after moving to the area, and was pleasantly surprised by the delicious food! My friend and I shared a stuffed pepper (which was quite large for one person), and had the grilled polenta cakes as well as the penne puttanesca. The penne puttanesca was one of the best I've ever had, and the portions were large enough for us to take home for lunch the next day. The cannolis were a nice end to the meal. Although the food was very good, the outside patio was a bit loud due to the nearby traffic. We found the prices to be a bit steep as well. I'd definitely go back again, but probably for a special occasion, and I would try to eat inside.

• Visited August 2013
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
“Very Good Italian Food in a Cozy Restaurant”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The restaurant is located in a building that in its former life was someone's home. The main dining room seats about 40 people. There are several 2 person and 4 person tables in the room. Larger groups can be accommodated by moving tables together. There is also dining in a closed- in porch outside the main dining room. There is a window air conditioner and ceiling fans to provide cooling in the main dining room during the summer months.On the Saturday evening that we were dining at the restaurant, the outdoor temperature was in the low 90's and the main dining room was almost full. The air conditioner and fans just barely kept the room temperature comfortable. There is a nice variety of appetizers, salads, pastas and entree's to choose from on the restaurants dinner menu. There were also one appetizer, one pasta and one entree special each. We had the Bruschetta special , the Caesar salad, veal Marsala special and chicken picatta for our food. The entree's come with choice of potato/risotto and vegetables. We had the garlic roasted potatoes, the asparagus and the vegetable medley. We did not order dessert . All of the food was freshly prepared (the kitchen area is visible from the dining room) and very good. The Caesar salad could have used a touch more dressing and the option of more freshly shredded cheese. The waitstaff provided excellent service. We always had a full glass of water but you never really noticed that someone had filled it. Our waiter was knowledgeable of all the menu offerings and specials. There is a gentleman with a guitar who travels throughout the dining room (and the porch) and sings songs (Italian and otherwise) to diners. As a heads up, he likes to talk to people, so you do run the possibility of him talking/singing to you as you are trying to eat dinner. The waiting time between appetizer to salad was average although the wait from salad to entree was a little above average. The tables are small and quite close to one another. However, since the waitstaff is so efficient , there is always enough room on the table to handle dishes, utensils and glasses. The dining room is quite cozy but it can be very noisy if there are some loud diners in the room. Based on our visit on a Saturday evening in July, I would recommend making reservations. Some of the pasta entrees looked quite intriguing and we will definitely be back to give some of them a try. I recommend Cafe Mangia to any traveler, in the Colchester, CT area, who is looking for good Italian food at a reasonable price.

• Visited July 2013
Mystic, Connecticut
“Elegant and Adorable”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My mother recently moved to Colchester and had mentioned that this was her new favorite place. I checked out the menu online and was happy to see that they had plenty of vegetarian options. We visited this past Tuesday, and were shocked when they asked if we had reservations, because they would be near capacity that night. This is a great sign!! They managed to squeeze us in at a nice window seat. My mother was greeted by the owner (they go there a lot lately, evidently!) and we chatted with our very friendly server. They have a great selection of wine, which we enjoyed, and started out with their delicious spinach salad and garlic bread too. My mother had one of the nights specials, the shrimp scampi, and I had their polenta stack. The polenta overall was pretty impressive, however, it was a bit dry, more like corn bread instead of polenta. The flavor of the vegetables and ricotta made up for it though! The service was excellent, the atmosphere is perfect, the bread is delicious, and it was a great experience. I would definitely return on a regular basis if I didn't like 40 minutes away, but I imagine we'll be returning with a larger group at some point in the near future. I LOVE that they don't rush you. We were able to have long conversations and thoroughly enjoy our dinner without feeling like they just wanted to turn over our table to the next couple.

• Visited June 2013
Niantic
“A lovely place but food was just OK”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My daughter and I had a dinner on a Friday night. The setting and the atmosphere were lovely, however, I found each table rather small for comfort, and tables were too close to each other, so it got very loud when the place was filled up.
We heard many nice things about this place, but, to our disappointment, the menu was very limited and the price was high. Even with specials, we had a hard time to find our choices.
The bread was rather stale and tasteless. The pasta dish my daughter ordered was just OK. Mussels in her pasta was cold and bland. It tasted like the chef just put previously steamed mussels over the pasta but did not cook with any seasonings.
My special with tilapia was bland, too.
The service throughout was great. I think this is a good place with a group of friends to enjoy the atmosphere and drinks but not gourmet dinner.

• Visited June 2013