“Best Italian Dinner You'll Find”
Review of Cafe Mangia

Cafe Mangia
Ranked #6 of 40 Restaurants in Colchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Food was outstanding. I had the Shrimp Fra Diavolo and my wife had the Fresh Grilled Salmon. Shrimp and salmon were fresh and cooked exactly right. Pasta sauce was out of this world and my wife loved the dijon glaze on the salmon. We had two delicious cannolis to top it off for dessert.

Great atmosphere and service was excellent. Will definitely go there again and would highly recommend to anyone that appreciates good Italian food.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am always willing to give a place a second chance - we all have our off days and restaurants are no exception. But again, Cafe Mangia did not win me over.

My family met for brunch on a recent Sunday afternoon. I wanted to give this place a second chance as my first review summarized this establishment as "not-so-much." Unfortunately, I stand by my initial assessment.

I had high hopes as in the past I had heard rave reviews. Has the chef changed? I couldn't say. My biggest disappointment was my salmon which was bland and my sister's was quite dry. My mom was happy with the apple caramel crepe which we feared may be too sweet but it was not at all. My dad and brother-in-law went with the steak and eggs and their comments were "their meals were fine." I didn't like paying Cafe Mangia's prices for "fine". We ventured on to dessert and the vanilla bean creme brulee' was not to die for, but it was adequate. Two cannoli's arrived at the table and the shells were so hard that even a knife was not much help. Am I wrong in thinking a cannoli should be soft enough to eat with a fork?

Particularly for the price, I was again very disappointed. I do give kudo's to our waiter, John. He was a good sport and kept up with my Dad who can keep the zingers flying. John was definitely the bright spot for us on this otherwise disheartening visit.

Let me know if something changes to improve the food, but until then, I have no desire to return to this establishment.

1  Thank Bonnie-says-so
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great food and great service !!

Good spot for a romantic dinner for two or getting a group together.

Specials every night

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stopped in early on a friday night based on a recommendation from a friend. The food was very good, and the service was excellent. I thought the the cost was fair for the service and the food. HOWEVER.... in the middle of the meal, a 2 man "mariachi" band arrived at our table and was just awful. I am not a fan of the table side band, even if they play well. They really detracted from our enjoyable meal.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Went here for dinner with my daughter & we both enjoyed it very much. Food was very good and we sat out on the porch which was nice, though a bit cool that night, but that's what we had requested. Inside looked very cosy. Going back for Sunday brunch tomorrow.