“Great Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rocky's Aqua

Rocky's Aqua
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Clinton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Rocky's Aqua is located in Cedar Island Marina overlooking Clinton Harbor, Cedar Island and Long Island Sound. Enjoy the never ending activity with the constant boat traffic, the southwesterly trade winds on one of our two beautiful decks.
Middletown, Connecticut
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I looked online to find restaurants with outdoor seating on the CT shores. After reading the reviews about Rocky's Aqua in Clinton, CT., my husband and I decided to go for lunch. We sat outside near the open windows overlooking the Marina. It was picturesque!
My husband had the calamari for an appetizer, which he said was the best he ever had, and believe me, he has had them in many a restaurants. I had the fresh shrimp cocktail, which was crunchy and sooo good! We both had the Grilled Chicken Chipotle wrap for lunch, which was delicious..Our waitress was friendly and attentive.
This is a must place to go. Looking forward to going back for lunch very soon..

1 Thank ladyjoy62
Rocky R, Owner at Rocky's Aqua, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thanks for the kind of review we look for everyday and work hard for, please take the time to introduce yourself the next time you return..........

New Haven, Connecticut
“Only good thing is the water view”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

Four of us went for dinner last weekend. When we arrived they told us there was an hour wait, which was fine by us. When we were seated, our meals took an hour to come out, which was not fine. We ordered soup first and that arrived relatively warm and about a half hour into our seating. At the 55 minute mark we called Chips and Bills to see what time they served until and as we were getting up to leave our food came out. Our waitress said it was okay if we left but at that point we decided to stay but asked to speak to the manager. One person ordered the flank steak sandwich and he was so hungry he ate it right down with no complaints or comments. Another dinner was the salmon, which was not the greatest tasting. It was a small portion along with a small portion of potatoes and tasteless green beans. Another meal which was some type of combo fish dish was pretty much inedible. When the manager came over, he told us that 59 minutes was a proper amount of time to be served a two course meal. He was not interested in the quality of the food. He offered us dessert, which we refused at first and then decided to have anyway. We told him that we eat our frequently and never have to wait that long for a meal. He wasn't interested. During the whole evening our waitress was very polite. As another table rose to leave, the gentlemen stopped at our table and told us he heard the whole conversation and felt that the manager was wrong in how he handled the situation.
So, my review of the restaurant, all things considered is that I will never go back there. This is mostly based on the food because there are plenty of great places to eat that don't cost nearly as much for the portion received. It is very busy because of the water view, but I say eat somewhere else and then come sit by the water. Don't waste your money. Oh, on the way out the manager came up and offered us a $25 gift certificate. I guess my telling him that we have a boat at the marina and everyone on the dock is going to ask us how our meal was. Just go somewhere else and get good food and a manager who cares.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SoBreeze
Rocky R, General Manager at Rocky's Aqua, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
As a restaurant owner, Rocky takes pride in responding to each and every review on trip advisor, and I, as the general manager, would like to continue to do so.

It is everyone's goal in this restaurant, to make customers happy. We work, in my opinion, harder than anyone day in and day out, from the hostess who seats you, to the servers, to the kitchen staff, in order to accomplish that goal. As a result of this, a lot of people come through the door, and inevitably, mistakes are made.

In this case, the broiled seafood combo was taken off the bill with no question, and a replacement/substitution was offered and declined. Dessert for the party of 4 was offered, declined, and subsequently accepted. For a future visit, a $25 gift card was issued, acknowledging that this visit was less than stellar.

Each day we strive to please every customer equally, whether it be a boater in our Cedar Island Marina, or a transient from New Hampshire. We take pride in the food product we serve, both its quality and quantity. When there is a discrepancy, we will always replace or delete items deemed unacceptable with new or different ones.

We love our restaurant. Interesting words used, "we" and "our", although we the employees do not own the restaurant. We are a family, treat this place like it is our own, and take pride in making people happy. When we miss the mark, we own our mistake, and try to make it right. I feel like this was done to the best of our ability, and would love to see you again under better circumstances.

Evan
Guilford, CT
“Gave it a try and we had a wonderful time. We will be back.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

My wife and I wanted to try something different along the Connecticut shore and sought out information on the internet. What impressed me was that the owner of Aqua, Rocky, responds to every review on Tripadvisor. I thought if he takes that kind of interest in his reviews, he must run a tight ship. We gave it a try. Overall we had a wonderful time. We waited for a table at the bar and each had a Margarita. It was so so. When we were seated a short time later, we each had a Caesar salad, which was excellent. My wife had the swordfish and I had the broiled seafood. Her swordfish was excellent and my broiled seafood was very good. The seafood was cooked the way I like it, and not overcooked like in many other places. I would have liked it better with a bit more garlic and white wine. We had a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc with our meal and passed on dessert. The service was excellent and friendly. The prices were reasonable. Rocky stopped by our table and was charming. We will be back and will bring our friends. You should give it a try!

1 Thank eeesq
Rocky R, Owner at Rocky's Aqua, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
I do respond to every review and that effort is put forth because I know how hard my staff works to be the best. I have been here 6 years and I have never been more proud to be a part of a staff that is so happy and grateful for the opportunity to work. Our staffs new theme " Where everyone wants to know your name"

I see we have to work even harder, we need to earn those 5 stars from you and collectively I know we can do it.

In the future when you would like to add something extra to a meal, please ask, if we can do it, I guarantee we will......

See you soon

Albany, New York
“Great Place!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

This place is great and we will be back!!! Don’t miss out if you’re nearby.
• Food outstanding (Lobster ravioli, Filet mignon)
• Service outstanding
• Great view
• Little high price but worth every penny

• Visited July 2014
Rocky R, Owner at Rocky's Aqua, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you very much for the 5 stars, you have no idea how hard everyone works and works together to receive those kind of compliments. When you're back in the area, please stop in and say hello.........

Old Lyme, Connecticut
“Outdoorsy and quite good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I decided to try someplace new, and found some good reviews of Rocky's Aqua, so we gave it a shot. While I generally do not like to dine outdoors, the weather was pleasant and breezy on the covered patio area where we were seated. There was a slight smell of gasoline from the boat gas station close by, but the breeze kept the scent away for the most part. Service was friendly and efficient. My fried calamari was served piping hot, with a light and crunchy breading. The chipotle aioli and pepperocini condiment were flavorful. The cobb salad was a bit on the small side, but all ingredients were fresh and nicely prepared. My husband's oysters Rockefeller were good - his lobster roll was also great. French fries were a bit soggy for his taste, however. We would try this place again.

Rocky R, Owner at Rocky's Aqua, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thanks for the review, there are drawbacks to being on the water anywhere, however the benefits are so great!!!! Next time please let us know that the gasoline smell is bothering you, we have southwesterly trade winds and if we have the space, we could have moved you to our other covered deck.

Julio who prepares every salad individually takes such pride in his presentation, I can't wait to tell him what you had to say, as far as the portion, believe it or not, I get a lot of people that say the portion is a bit large???? Next time please let your server know, we can always add a bit, our goal is to make every customer happy. As far as the fries, please let someone know that they were soggy, sometimes when its busy, they come out of the fryolator, the time isn't taken to let them sit for a bit. We do however cut fries from potatoes daily which makes them extraordinary......

I hope when you return you will ask for me, Evan or Sam, we try to treat every customer like family....