“Awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Clinton, CT
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Ortega's in Groton is really good, so I tried this place because I heard it was the same family. Please do yourself a favor and stay away. Lousy atmosphere, food less than mediocre.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank James C

North Haven, Connecticut
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Should have known we’d be disappointed by the continuous lack of cars in the parking lot. There are never more than two cars in the parking lot of this restaurant. Unfortunate because this area, right on the shoreline, should be hopping all summer long. Food was mediocre at best, and the service was dismal. After visiting one time -- the only reason to even give the place a second glance -- is to see IF there are any cars in the lot, when passing by to visit another restaurant. Really wonder how this place is still in business.

• Visited May 2013
east coast
“Perfect, casual Mexican joint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is no frills, nothing fancy Mexican food. My husband and I eat here regularly. We've sampled the menu and enjoy a variety of what they have. Compared to some of the Mexican in other towns, we've found this to be less pretentious (nobody is trying to add special sauces or "flair" to an old cuisine) and more predictably good. I've also gone here with large groups, and that has worked out well. I see the reviews where people complain that it's not fresh. I haven't had that experience, and after spending a lot of time in Texas I think that I have a pretty high standard of what good Mexican should be...simple food with a lot of taste.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Does not taste fresh as advertised”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here for our anniversary. The place is very clean and nicely decorated. The food did not taste fresh, as advertised. I ordered guacamole, and it tasted like it came out of a jar. My enchilada's taste and texture were like frozen food heated up. The wait staff was pleasant upon entering, but became gruff when asked questions about choices. They advertise about 8 Flavors of margaritas, but they were out of the first 3 that I requested. We were disappointed and won't go back.

• Visited July 2013
Madison, Connecticut
“Place with a past”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

So sad how many restaurants this place has been over the years. It's constantly changing hands, with the failing of another restaurant. I think the building is jinxed! Anyway, I did eat here just like I did every other restaurant that was here. Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews, but I thought it was good. Food was tasty, staff very friendly, and bathrooms incredibly clean. Too bad the parking lot is always empty...I see another changing of the guard in the near future.

• Visited April 2013