“Just Plain Disappointed”
Review of Ortega's - CLOSED

Ortega's
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 20, 2012

When we first walked in, we were told immediately that the first dining room was closed and to find somewhere in the next. We picked out a booth and the waitress? slammed two menus down in front of us and then threw 3 sets of silverware down. (Literally threw) (At this point if I had been by myself, I would have walked out). Drinks were served promptly by yet another server. The order was taken by yes, yet another server. Chips and salsa were provided, but the salsa was so very watery, it wouldn't stay on the chip. Not much flavor there either. Upon receiving our order, which consisted of nachos, an enchilada platter and a quesadilla, the quesadilla was cold and hard, and the nachos (with ground beef) were watered down, which gave very little flavor and soggy chips. Yes, even the cheese sauce was extremely watered down! I love my Mexican food, but this place was the worst.

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

It Is great to have a great authentic Mexican place near where we live. The food is really good and very wholesome and made from excellent ingredients. I recommend going to Ortegas for Mexican food. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Its nice to go to a Mexican restaurant that ACTUALLY HAS authentic mexican dishes aside from the usual cheap americanized menu items. This place has become a favorite of ours as we spent the summer in Clinton CT. The hospitality is always welcoming friendly and polite, bringing back memories of my times on the pacific coast of Mexico. The food is above average and the prices are slightly less than what would be expected for the quality. I've tried many of their menu items, and none of them have disappointed. Their dessert sopapillas are home made, hot and always our favorite way to end the meal. Their margaritas somehow taste better than other places as well. Enjoyable place for couples, friends, or (like the table behind us last week) to practice your Spanish.

Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Save your taste buds and your money. We ordered the "Plato Grande" which is essentially their appetizer sampler. There is nothing Grande about this plate. The jalapeno poppers and the chicken flautas were clearly from a grocery store frozen food package. They were literally what I used to eat in college... and I'm not saying that in a reminiscent way... you know the poppers with the orange coagulous cheese...yea. The only difference was they were cooked in a kitchen as opposed to a cheap dorm room microwave. The rest of the minimal offerings on the plate followed suite in the nasty department. Definitely not worth $10.

The entree I endured was the enchiladas rojas. The sauce was actually bitter. Even after I tried to improve it with hot sauce and salt, it was still inedible. This place was awful, just awful. Save your money, don't eat here.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Have been to Ortegas a number of times and enjoyed our meal. Service was good, portions a reasonable size, and "average" prices. But on this particular visit, service was spotty, the kitchen was slow, and after a long wait, my entree arrived less than luke warm. The plate, though, was hot. Unfortunately the waiter was no where to be found, nor was there anyone else in the dining room to report the problem. Therefore, I ate a less than satisfying meal. Getting the check was equally as slow. To settle our bill, we had to flag someone down. Another patron send it's faster to just pay at the bar! Too bad for the downward trend since the area could benefit from a good, Mexican restaurant.