“Authentic” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
“Authentic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

It Is great to have a great authentic Mexican place near where we live. The food is really good and very wholesome and made from excellent ingredients. I recommend going to Ortegas for Mexican food. You won't be disappointed.

Toledo, Ohio
“Brings back warm memories of Mexico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Its nice to go to a Mexican restaurant that ACTUALLY HAS authentic mexican dishes aside from the usual cheap americanized menu items. This place has become a favorite of ours as we spent the summer in Clinton CT. The hospitality is always welcoming friendly and polite, bringing back memories of my times on the pacific coast of Mexico. The food is above average and the prices are slightly less than what would be expected for the quality. I've tried many of their menu items, and none of them have disappointed. Their dessert sopapillas are home made, hot and always our favorite way to end the meal. Their margaritas somehow taste better than other places as well. Enjoyable place for couples, friends, or (like the table behind us last week) to practice your Spanish.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Awful, awful, awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Save your taste buds and your money. We ordered the "Plato Grande" which is essentially their appetizer sampler. There is nothing Grande about this plate. The jalapeno poppers and the chicken flautas were clearly from a grocery store frozen food package. They were literally what I used to eat in college... and I'm not saying that in a reminiscent way... you know the poppers with the orange coagulous cheese...yea. The only difference was they were cooked in a kitchen as opposed to a cheap dorm room microwave. The rest of the minimal offerings on the plate followed suite in the nasty department. Definitely not worth $10.

The entree I endured was the enchiladas rojas. The sauce was actually bitter. Even after I tried to improve it with hot sauce and salt, it was still inedible. This place was awful, just awful. Save your money, don't eat here.

Killingworth, Connecticut
“A Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Have been to Ortegas a number of times and enjoyed our meal. Service was good, portions a reasonable size, and "average" prices. But on this particular visit, service was spotty, the kitchen was slow, and after a long wait, my entree arrived less than luke warm. The plate, though, was hot. Unfortunately the waiter was no where to be found, nor was there anyone else in the dining room to report the problem. Therefore, I ate a less than satisfying meal. Getting the check was equally as slow. To settle our bill, we had to flag someone down. Another patron send it's faster to just pay at the bar! Too bad for the downward trend since the area could benefit from a good, Mexican restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
Killingworth, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cheap and still not worth it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I had a coupon (which should have been a clue, along with the perpetually empty parking lot), so I tried it with my husband. Sure enough, the restaurant (on a Saturday night) was almost empty, which was soon explained by the quality of the food and the mediocre service. For example, my husband ordered a fajita (which I understand may not be authentic Mexican but is still good). I asked him my everything on his plate looked gray and it turned out that they used frozen mixed vegetables to put on top of the fajita, so his fajita had lima beans on it. The beans side dish came straight out of a can (the cheapest brand they could find no doubt).

• Visited July 2012