“Pleasant but somewhat non-attentive staff”
Review of Vespucci's

Vespucci's
Ranked #5 of 52 Restaurants in Cheshire
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I've dined there on 3 occasions and found the food to be excellent every time. I wish my comments on the waitstaff were the same. My first experience was very good, my second just fair, and my third was a total disappointment. Our waitress spent considerable time involved in a friendly but non-business conversation with friends at an adjacent table while we waited patiently for drinks, refills, dinner, etc.. I'll give this place one more chance, because the food is ery good, but another service experience like that and I'll find another place to dine.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

You should apologize to the wait staff upon entry as you will disturb them. Wanted two bills for our group of four and was refused, "It would confuse the kitchen" was the lame excuse.
Went in for carryout once and waited for pickup while owner(?) was arguing with food supplier who was there to get his bill paid.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Food is good. The bread with infused oil with garlic and peppers was excellent. We ordered the house smoked salmon and it was also good. Main course was a small clams casino pizza and a tortellini napolitano.

From the time we put in our order until the main course showed it was 45 elapsed. We had eaten all the bread, which was never refilled, and as well as the salmon in the first 15 minutes. It was another half hour before the main course showed up. The waiter told us it was because the ovens are tool full with takeout orders to cook the pizza.

When the food showed up, the tortellini was decent. Not terrific but not bad. Sauce was good, but tortellini was bland. There was a mysterious side dish of pasta with meat sauce that showed up as well. We told them it wasn't ours an sent it back but they brought it back and put it on the table anyway.

The Clams Casino pizza was not hot when it came out, despite the excuse that cooking it was the delay. For having so many flavorful toppings, the pizza was bland. Clams didn't taste fresh and were chewy like jelly beans. Onions were old and just showered over the top. Crust tasted like it had been slow baked and had almost no texture or burn marks.

Average food, unreasonably long serving time, and poor service add up to us not coming back here again. There's too many other Italian restaurants in New Haven and the Naugatuck Valley.

1  Thank DM_NewHaven
Reviewed November 1, 2011

From the moment we walked in we we're seated and brought hot bread with oil mixture and it's "great" could not get enought. the meals tasted and cooked to perfection, service was great I found my new old best place to eat and feel good... I tip my Hat to the staff and of course cook! I will see you soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

Over the past seven years I have both dined in and had take out from Vespucci's. I was first "introduced" the Vespucci's while working in a small professional office in Cheshire. On Fridays we often joined collegues in the conference room and shared our lunch time together. On several occasions our employer even treated us to lunch. So the sandwiches, pizza and take out (lunch dinners) were a frequent thing. Everyone was always pleased with their food. As I passed the restaurant on the way home from work I also would pick up a pizza to share with my sons for dinner.

More recently my eldest son was in town on summer break from school. Being a somewhat typical college student he had a schedule of his own and had eaten breaskfast with friends not long before we were to go to lunch. That said - he drank coffee, tried a few bites of the appetizer and my dinner and I enjoyed the full meal.

We were seated immediately and had a pleasant server who was very attentive. We were visiting on a Saturday afternoon during the lunch rush. I will start by saying the portions were very generous and I literally brought home half of everything (except the warm bread and dipping oil). I ordered stuffed mushrooms which were delicious and my son agreed. That followed with a small but fresh green salad. I ordered Chicken Parmesan for my main course and that came with a small bowl of pasta. I followed up my meal with coffee which was refilled as the waitress walked around giving refills - and not just to "her" tables.

I would highly recommend this restaurant for dinning out. It would be best without small children as this is a small quiet place great for conversation. Leftovers and take out orders are packaged with care.

Buon appetito!

Been to Vespucci's? Share your experiences!