“Never disappointed!”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have been here several times, but not enough in my estimation! It hooked me in with the seafood crepe on a lunch outing and every meal I have had there since for dinner has been fantastic. It is one of Cheshire's best kept secrets, as if you don't know about the Watch Factory, you won't find it. And yes, the prices are expensive, but if you enjoy a good meal, it is worth every penny. I have had the Venison special, Duck prepared various ways, the Salmon with a Tomato Herb Cream sauce and order many specials they offer nightly (last night it was the Beef Tenderloin with a mushroom sauce that was do die for)! I have loved every meal and Chef Markus is to be commended for preparing fabulous, but light sauces that complement instead of upstaging the food it is prepared for. I love the fact you aren't rushed through dinner and the small staff was courteous, friendly and spot on in their recommendations.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

At a friend’s recommendation we chose The Watch Factory as the location for my birthday dinner. The restaurant was nice and clean and even with our reservation it took about 10 minutes for us to be seated (no host/hostess seating as well as bussing was done by the wait staff and half the tables were full). The beer wine selection were excellent and both meals were delicious and plentiful for the price (don't think exorbitant amounts of food but enough to feel pleasantly full when done). Since there were only two servers who were also filling and mixing drink orders there was a slight delay with the courses. Our server (name was never given) had stated from the beginning that each meal was made to order from scratch (as it should be!) and said there would be a pause within courses. Had he not stated that initially we would have been a little irked. The Watch Factory was definitely a solid restaurant for Austrian cuisine and worth visiting again in the future.

1  Thank giaabruzzi
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have been dining at the Watch Factory over the past 8 years. After our last visit we realized we've never submitted a review and it was past due. The Watch Factory restaurant is unique. Guests are not hurried through service, staff is not trying to turn tables twice a night and the atmosphere is calm and relaxing. Perfect for romantic dinners, large dinner parties, special events and lunch at the Watch Factory is welcome break from sandwich/deli/pizza stronghold in Cheshire.

Appetizers are generous enough not to fill you up for the main course. I typically enjoy Zucchini & Puff Pastry which consists of sauteed zucchini in a gorgonzola/shallot/cream sauce nestled in a puff pastry pillow. (Chef Markus makes his own puff pastry dough). The mixed green salad is simple yet provides the vehicle for Chef Markus' blue cheese dressing. Shrimp and artichoke crepe are always a favorite. The signature appetizer is the marinated beets. A must try.

For the main course, I tend to gravtitate to the Veal Jager Schnitzel. Always tender veal sauteed in clarified butter simply but so delicious. Potato pancake is my favorite side. What's nice is that there's always a special that I'm interested in trying. Whether it's the braised lamb shank, goulash, venison, poached tilapia, etc. Markus listens to his guests and offers something new.

Dessert....strudel, hands down, is the clear choice. Made daily this flaky, succulent, sweet, and delightful. Apples are sourced locally in Cheshire. The Sacher Torte and Lime Curd (when available) are my other favorites.

If you don't want to be rushed for dinner, don't mind waiting in between courses you will be treated to gourmet cooking that is desperately lacking in Cheshire. You get what you pay for. While the portions are not those typically found at the nearby greasey spoon italian places....Markus proves that quality triumphs over quantity time and again.

We will be back many, many more times.

2  Thank Lee33740
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Having heard about this restaurant and knowing people who rave about it, perhaps I had my expectations set too high. Their prices were certainly too high. There were two of us, and we were a part of a larger group. By the end of the night the bill was $150 for just the two of us. We had one appetizer... period. One, not one each. One entree and one side dish each. One desert (and like the appetizer, just one). Two glasses of wine and one beer. What I had (fillet of sole) was OK, but I thought I could have easily prepared it at home. Ditto for what I saw on other people's plates, but in fairness I did not have a taste of what they had. The appetizer was some kind of pasta, but it was very bland. It may not be fair for me to speculate that the desert, strudel, was microwaved. It was warm but did not seem oven fresh. I found myself thinking again that I could have microwaved pastry at home. Overall, the atmosphere was relaxed and spacious. Upon walking into the restaurant you get a warm feeling, like you are walking into a ski lodge. The staff are all nice too. They work hard but never make you feel rushed. I'd like to offer a more glowing review in support of this local business, but in fairness to travelers I need to give an honest impression of my dining experience there: average, with prices far above the local market average.

1  Thank Special_Deluxe
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I would love to give this review a 4 star rating. This is the local place to go for special events - its expensive and you accepted the very slow service for the made to order meals.

We have been here many times. The service is always friendly and they are very accommodating. We do enjoy the food. I am a fan of the potato pancake and the red cabbage that comes with every meal.

We went this past Tuesday thinking it would be quiet - to our surprise they were packed - to our greater surprise service was fact and very attentive - now what we have experienced in the past - so far so good.

We both ordered the potato and broccoli soup - delicious but so hot we could not eat it for while.

My wife has the sole with the lemon sauce. All she got was a lemon. I order the schnitzel. sadly overcooked - and small pieces so he tenderness of the veal was truly lost.

This should be a 4 star place - its a 4 star price range - didn't earn it this time.