“What a joke!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Collinsville, Connecticut
“What a joke!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

First off, the place is so small that you can watch the chef and the dishwasher as you eat! It's located in a strip mall. When I walked in the door no one greeted me so I sat myself (there were only 2 tables occupied). The waitress came to my table and asked if I had a reservation (I laughed out loud). The menu looks about 15 years old (laminated) and none of their pasta dishes were under $25. Chicken Parm wasn't on the menu but they made it for me anyway. My salad consisted of very dry romaine hearts (no other veggies).

When my pasta arrived it had at least 4 chicken patties, very little pasta and 1/3 of the dish was zucchini and carrots (which were very overcooked and watered down the pasta sauce). I ran out of noodles midway through eating and asked the waitress if I could get more. She said I would be charged extra if i wanted more.

My final bill came to $25 just for the watered down chicken patties and little pasta (I drank water). This place needs a reality check! I can not understand how they get repeat business...

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank krimsontide1

“Never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I went back to Buon Appetito after hearing friends rave about the place - because others in the group wanted to try it. A few years back I was unimpressed, and it's gotten worse. We had reservations which was likely unnecessary - when we arrived we made our way around a very long table to the booth beyond, assuming they were expecting a large party later.

Brought our own wine, waitress was very challenged with opening it for some reason - and it was a 2010, not an old bottle. The cork was destroyed in the process, we really would have been happy to open it ourselves.

Table of 4, we ordered garlic bread - it was a very small loaf of very hot bread with plenty of garlic - then we were served lettuce - oil and vinegar on the side since the creamy garlic dressing seemed like overkill, ate that and then sat for 45 minutes waiting for our entrees.

Mine was wrong - had asked for the salmon and something that looked quite good with mussels and vegetables came instead, when the error was caught the waitress said she would expedite the salmon with dill sauce. It was served in about 15 minutes.

Dishes were all served in large round bottom (bowl) type plates - and when I got the entree I understood why - there was a pool of water under the pasta that was quickly combining with the creamy dill sauce from the fish and the marinara sauce from the pasta. Each item on it's own was okay - but I could not eat it out of that soupy mess.

It was 2 hours on a weeknight with very few other diners. Not overly clean, far from appetizing. Restroom is right off the kitchen and I wish I didn't see the sights along the way, never mind the single unisex bathroom.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Gail H
Avon, Connecticut
“Relaxing dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

A friend and I went for an early dinner. Our waitress (Lee) was excellent. She gave a very detailed list of the specials. We were served very quickly, but not rushed at all. It was a pleasant experience. My entree was the lemon chicken over linguini and it was very good. Brought about half home, as the portion was most generous. I reheated it in a low temp oven the next day and it was still excellent. One reviewer mentioned watery sauce and too much salt. I had neither of these complaints - and I use only the tiniest amount of salt in my own cooking. We thought the price for the garlic bread was a little high; it was offered as we were seated and there was no mention of price. We were too full to try a dessert. The list, again courtesy of Lee's memory, was decently long but none of the items struck us as "Italian". All in all, we enjoyed our visit and will go back.

• Visited August 2013
Avon, Connecticut
“Won't be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Went for dinner with my wife last night. I had been there once before, 6 yrs ago, for an office party. We brought our own wine-bottles already opened, $1.50 pp corkage fee. Started out nice. Empty restaurant (no other patrons at 5:45). Waitress was friendly, explained the deletions from the menu before she described the specials. Very small place. I saw her prepare our "house salad" by sticking her gloved hand into a large plastic bucket of lettuces. No croutons, other veggies-just bucket lettuce. Garlic bread hd a fishy (?anchovy) taste. I had lemon chicken-poached breast in a watery lemon sauce with artichoke and olive, over linguini. My wife had chicken marsala. Both entrees were WAY too salty. The salt overpowered any other flavor. Pasta was good, al dente, but drowning in watery sauce. Dessert (limoncello cake) was good. Never offered coffee. Overall unimpressed.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank MMouseMD
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

A little hole in the wall you may never stumble upon.

But the pasta is original and full of flavor. And it's BYOB! Great place.

Visited May 2013

Been to Buon Appetito? Share your experiences!