“Mother's Day Dinner a Hit”
Review of La Trattoria

La Trattoria
Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Canton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We all enjoyed our dinners here, from the prime rib to the lasagne as well as the salmon. Everything was prepared to our delight and was truly delicious. They even went so far as to help me choose a meal that was not prepared with olive oil of which I am allergic to. The only area I found fault with was that the servers were very quick to remove glasses & dishes, even when someone was still eating from their plate and a glass of beer wasn't empty when the server tried to remove it. But, all in all a very nice dining experience.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

The owners are Italian but they've 'dumbed down' the menu to fit local tastes. How much more 'ChickParm' do we need around here?

1  Thank CaribMonkey
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Unfortunately I had the displeasure of eating at La Trattoria for lunch with my parents. I must preface my review with the fact that I reside in Italy, so my "standards" are rather high when it comes to Italian cusine. La Trattoria is rather non-descriptive in it's overall decor, very plain with earth tone colors. This was the middle of the week at lunch hour, so perhaps they tone down all the bells and whistles that might be present during the evening meal. Two things struck me as humorous...the Theme from The Godfather was played over the house audio system at least seven times during our meal. Go Mafia! Yeah! Secondly, our chairs squeeked with the slightest of movement..time to replace them!

The wait staff was comprised of two people, a man and a woman, who both seemed to be over-tasked, serving tables, answering telephones, greeting guests and tending to other restaurant tasks. I did observe a seafood raw bar with no seafood, just ice, along with a pizza work station that also was not in operation. The "chef" made an appearance in this area to retrieve some pre-cooked shrimp from a plastic container and some sauce that ended up on a diner's plate.

We were first served what I would call a sad salad...the greens had seen better days and should not have been presented on a diner plate. The Minestrone was okay but it's origins questionable..(can?)

The Chicken with a mushroom glaze was over-cooked and tough to cut through let along chew. Come on...anyone can cook a chicken breast to the correct doneness. The "gravy with mushrooms (?)" was ok but again, I question the origin...most likely, pre-made for the restaurant business.

One of my guests ordered the Sole dish which I tasted and found to be lacking in any flavor from the sea...simply a mushy fish filet with a poor lemon sauce for a topping. Another guest had the mystery Veal Paresean with a side of over cooked linguine. All portions were (thankfully) small.

The last negative to mention...in my opinion, the $7.00 a glass Pinot was watered down (no "legs," no taste.) Shameful! It would have been nice for servers to bring the bottle to the table so one could see what was being poured. My recommendation...stay away if your looking for authentic Italian cuisine.

2  Thank Mirto56
Reviewed January 24, 2012

La Trot has a great menu and they prepare Steak Diane table side which is fun to watch. They also have an Octoberfest once a year, I believe in September...not to be missed.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

My fiance and I love to try new restaurants and specifically look for chicken parm grinders. We have tried many different chicken parm grinders from many different restaurants and this one is definately one of our favrorites! The atmosphere is comfortable and the staff is so friendly. Felt as if we were part of the family!

Been to La Trattoria? Share your experiences!