“Excellent food, beautiful place”

Golden Lamb Buttery
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Randolph, Massachusetts
“Excellent food, beautiful place”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had been here many years ago and remembered it as a fun experience but wanted to give it another go. We took the scenic Rt1 69 drive to get here. The building is a converted barn and very interesting inside. Lots of memorabilia. There is a main dining room, plus smaller more intimate rooms. We chose to eat outside overlooking the barnyard, countryside and river. The lunch menu only has maybe 5 or 6 choices and no prices. We had read a review that the lunch entree was $10-15 so we weren't overly concerned. There were 4 soup choices also. They are famous for their Hallandale hash which I had and my dining partner had salmon. Both were excellent and beautifully served. The service was great and friendly. 2 entrees and one soup came to a little over $40. Highly recommend for a Sunday drive and nice lunch in the CT "Quiet Corner".

• Visited August 2014

Massachusetts
“A midsummer night's dream come true”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I have enjoyed lunch many times at this unique restaurant in a barn in an impossibly beautiful New England setting. But having read about it in reviews on their walls, and the description of it on their website, having dinner here became a "bucket list" item for me. And last weekend, on a summer evening that was as impossibly beautiful as the setting, my dream came true.

We were greeted by the hostess upon arrival, who informed us that Pam would be our server throughout the evening. Although Pam was otherwise occupied at that moment, another server took our cocktail order, and we were invited to enjoy our drinks and some cheese and crackers out on the deck overlooking the valley, or in the barn perusing the extensive collection of ephemera. A pianist provided musical accompaniment for this early part of the evening. A few minutes later, Pam came to find us to tell us that there would be a hayride leaving soon, if we were interested, which we very much were! The cart, drawn by a tractor, accommodated about a dozen guests and their drinks at a time, along with Susan, a very talented vocalist who encouraged us to sing along as she played popular tunes while we toured the farm and the sun set. Midway through the ride, a golf cart pulled up alongside to deliver another round of cocktails!

Upon arrival back at the barn, Pam greeted us and seated us in one of the barn's charming and rustic dining rooms, which was dressed up for the evening with tablecloths and candles. We were in a small, romantic room with just one other couple seated next to us, and as the evening progressed and more wine was drunk, we struck up an easy conversation with them. Pam arrived to describe the evening's culinary offerings. The prix-fixe menu consists of three courses. Starter options included salads and soups. I had a delicious and rich sunchoke and roasted garlic soup, while my husband opted for a green salad with a large portion of burrata cheese. For entrees, I chose the roast duck, and my husband the cod and sea scallops. The food is well-prepared, hearty, and served in prodigious amounts. Not only does each entree come with a starch (my duck with a wild rice mix, my husband's fish with a lobster risotto), but no fewer than five vegetable side dishes are offered family style -- and yes, you can try them all! Everything is accompanied by good, warm rolls, and the wine list, while not extensive, has something to please everyone, and includes a page of offerings from New England vineyards.

Dessert portions are equally huge. I enjoyed a large piece of "Hummingbird Cake," kind of like a carrot cake, and my husband a strawberry rhubarb bread pudding. Both desserts were as delicious as the rest of the meal had been, and a sweet way to top off our evening.

Service throughout the experience was flawless, as our assigned server and the hostess seemed able to keep track of where we were throughout the evening, not only in terms of location, but in the progress of our meal. The vocalist Susan took requests and moved from one dining room to another to provide unobtrusive musical accompaniment as we dined.

If you love New England and good country food, you need to put this experience on your bucket list, too.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank frankophile2
East Hampton, Connecticut
“A Culinary Experience your will Never Forget!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have been going to the Golden Lamb since the lat 1990's and have enjoyed bringing people to this hidden gem just to see their faces as they are transported into a world of simplistic elegance and culinary perfection.

In late June, I brough 8 friends for lunch, this is an annual event for us since 2008 to the Golden Lamb Buttery.

As we gathered on the deck that overlooks the vast "quiet corner" countryside, the waitress appeared to take our drink order. We had time to chat not only amoungst ourselves but ended up having a great conversation with all those sharing the deck and loving the views while having a drink.

The meals at the Golden Lamb have traditionally been superb but since the death of the founders, everyone was interested to see if the quality prevailed. Well it has surpassed even the most ardent dritic! From the pear pineapple soup and the beef parley soup to the country chicken, the Hill'ndale Hash - we all ended up trading spoons to see who had the better meal. The food was extremely well prepared, amazingly well presented and a joy for the tastebuds. I ended up my meal with a large slice of Hummingbird cake wow, I am hooked. Delicate flavor with just the right mix of "something exrtra." The double chocolate ckae was (yes I had a spoonful) was as home made as the Hummngbird cake and I almost ordered another dessert. I polled each of our group and this restaurant received an 8 out of 8 for "the best restaurant of all." andI brought a tough crowd. Be sure to really look at the menu for the twists and use of native flowers in the recipes and the gift store is ecclectic and fun! The Golden Lamb is an experience that is a rare treat in this busy world.

Take the trip to Brooklyn, Connecticut - you will never forget the Golden Lamb Buttery.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank JoeRugby
Sacramento
“Stay awhile and savor the evening”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Nestled in bucolic, rural Connecticut countryside stands a big rustic barn surrounded by various outbuildings and farm animals. The drive from Rt. 6 to the Golden Lamb Buttery follows stone walls and pastures of grazing cattle. Sunset is imminent on the approaching horizon. It’s time to relax and savor a unique culinary event in quiet northeast CT. Reservations are mandatory as there is only one seating per evening. We are greeted by our server for the evening, a country gal clad in a homey housedress and apron. She describes the evening’s events to us, takes our drink order and invites us to roam the barn and surrounding pastures. She tells us she’ll find us when our drinks are ready, and she does. We help ourselves to cheeses and crackers as we peruse the many photos, artwork and vintage finds on the barn walls and floors. Out on the deck overlooking the sheep pasture and pond, the sun is setting creating a warm pink glow. We take time to enjoy the piano player’s offerings and watch as other guests arrive, some from limos. Our server returns offering more drinks, and tells us the hay ride is about to begin, we can group up near the entrance if we want to go. Being early May, the evenings are still a bit chilly, and we are helped onto the tractor-pulled wagon and offered lap blankets. Our smiling, sweet-voiced guitarist accompaniment keeps all of us smiling in turn as we meander through saltbox homes and other structures on the property, and singing along to the tunes we all know so well. Upon return to the barn we are again met by our server and collected for seating for dinner. Our room is at the front of the barn with the balcony overhead. Our table for 3 is cozy, one of about 6 or 7 other tables in that room. The barn has different seating areas and rooms, one area holding a long table for larger groups. As we are given menus, our server explains that we have a choice between 4 entrees, 2 different salads or 2 different soups, and 4 desserts. Vegetables are served en casserole tableside. A basket of various breads and butter arrives, and we had asked for tea and received that too. The sunchoke and roasted garlic soup left us craving more, and Mom’s salad was fresh and plentiful. The 1/2 roasted duck we chose was expertly prepared and arranged with starch and greens, visually pleasing. The sides kept coming via our server in large casserole platters, perhaps 5 or 6 different options for us to sample. So many great choices! All during dinner our guitarist wandered between all the rooms and serenaded us at each table. We chose songs from a list she provided with probably 70-80 song choices. We sang along and harmonized, which gave her quite a thrill and made the evening even more special. Diners are encouraged to spend time and enjoy the surroundings, meal and each other’s company. The table is ours for the evening and we are invited to settle in. Our chocolate roll arrived along with coffee and we savored every mouthful. The servers take time to chat with the guests if they beckon; the evening wore on and we got up to go after about a 3-hour evening, although some guests still lingered. Do yourself a favor and make plans to visit the Golden Lamb Buttery to enjoy a unique country evening of song, wonderful food and camaraderie.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Nugie
Manchester, Connecticut, United States
“Perfect Return Visit”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

After having dined at the Golen Lamb Buttery in June 2013 to celebrate a special occasion, we always said we would like to go back. We had the opportunity to do that on May 30th of this year. While it was an extremely rainy evening, the atmosphere was still very sunny and welcoming once inside the Golden Lamb Buttery. Our waitress, Lori, was very attentive and just happened to have been our waitress on our prior visit a year ago! Nice to see that the restaurant retains its top quality staff members! I hope they are justly rewarded because these individuals do an outstanding job from everything I observed.

Since it was raining, there was no opportunity to take the traditional hayride through the farm fields while being serenaded by the very talented Susan Lamb. Susan's melodies could still be heard throughout the evening, however, as diners requested songs that held special meaning for them; some patrons even seemed to have been briefly tranpsorted to a different place while their special song was being performed. Susan's music adds some real magic to the whole Golden Lamb dining experience and is a highlight.

As for the meal itself, my boyfriend had the baked cod with seared sea scallops as his entree and I once again opted for the chateaubriand. Both were delicious! Plenty of vegetables are seved "family style" during the course of the meal. I thought the creamed spinach and glazed carrots with fennel were very good; I am not a big fan of braised leeks or marinated vegetables in general so I passed up those offerings. The coconut cream pie that I had for dessert was the absolute lightest and most decadent treat you can imagine! If you are too full for dessert after your dinner, they are very willing to box up your selection so that you may take it home with you and enjoy it at a later time.

Lastly, it was wonderful to be surrounded by gentlemen of all ages sporting jackets and ties! The Golden Lamb Buttery requests this attire on its website and everyone looked absolutely splendid, especially my date for the evening!

• Visited May 2014