“They did this to themselves!”
Review of Newbury Inn

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brookfield
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Ordinarily, I'm not that finicky about hotel details, but the inn's website claims it is "affordable yet luxurious". I'll give them credit, they ARE affordable - surprisingly so since they are pretty much the only game in town. But "luxurious"?!? Come on!
The inn is on a fairly quiet stretch of road. The lobby is clean and simple, and the desk clerk was pleasant and efficient. The complementary cookies at the desk were a nice touch.
The room was clean and secure, but that is the best that can be said of it. Amenities were minimal - basically an ironing board, iron, TV, and coffee maker. The furnishings were nice, but basic enough to be considered almost spartan - bed, dresser, desk and small armchair. Since there was no table, and the desk faced away from the TV, you either ate at the desk or watched TV, not both.
The heat/AC worked well, but situated right next to the desk, and with an un-adjustable vent, you couldn't sit at the desk without the heat blowing forcefully on you.
The tub/shower was a real issue as it didn't drain properly. Who likes taking a shower standing in a couple inches of water? Why can't housekeeping identify issues like this and dump some drain cleaner in to keep the drain flowing?
Next was the issue of ice. I've never commented on hotel ice before, but this was ridiculous for a "luxury" establishment. The inn doesn't have room fridges - at least in the standard rooms - so I needed ice for a cooler. Not finding an ice machine, and since the inn doesn't provide a property map or any form of welcome folder, I went to the office. The desk clerk cheerfully left the desk to go into a back room, returning with a small bag of ice. Not very good for hotel security, and frankly an odd arrangement. Later I found out how really odd and unluxurious it was. I came out of my room in the morning just before 6AM, and found a table and phone outside the locked office, with a sign taped to the door advising that the office was closed 10PM to 6AM. While ice is rarely an emergency, I've never heard of not being able to get ice at night. Maybe they've had a rash of ice thefts, I didn't ask.
The free continental was fairly basic, though the microwavable breakfast burritos were an unusual offering.
My second night was a real problem. The first night I periodically heard the sounds of doors opening/closing or brief conversations. The second night was not as pleasant. I came to my room exhausted and from 6PM to 10:30PM, I was treated to conversations outside, next door and up above. Most of the conversations weren't loud, but the walls and ceilings are apparently paper-thin. Doors opening/closing, an upstairs guest who loudly tromped from one side of the room to the other repeatedly for nearly four hours accompanied by what sounded like the re-arrangement of every stick of furniture in his room, and next door guests with two dogs, including a puppy who cried/barked several times. I was finally able to fall asleep only because I was literally too tired to stay awake.
Finally, I got to check-out. The desk clerk didn't have a printer for my receipt! Perfect!
Had the inn not advertised itself as "luxurious" I might have cut them some slack and rated them Average, but they did this to themselves.

Room Tip: Trry to get one of the rooms in the back building. It is only one-story, so it should be at least a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank HowlnBubba
Bennardo, General Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. When traveling to this area again please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay is perfect.

Regional GM

There are newer reviews for Newbury Inn

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The accommodation at this hotel is amazingly wonderful for the price. It's not a cheap hotel. The room is big, the sheets clean and nice. You will feel at home. Everything is nice, clean and spacious. The dining area is small but definitely with quick breakfast food to start the day.

Room Tip: Room in the back area are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

We are very pleased that we were able to meet your expectations and that you had good experience with us at the Newbury Inn. As always, we strive to meet and exceed the expectations of all of our guests and am glad that you found our complimentary continental breakfast an added value. I hope that you continue to stay with us when you're in town and we thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Regional GM

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The heating system in our room did not have a temperature control. You basically could only turn the heat on or off. My husband and I spent the entire night turning the heat on and off because the temperature in the room would go from freezing to sweltering hot. Also, the front desk gave us a hard time about putting our baby's bottle in the inn's refrigerator overnight, the woman at the desk stating the refrigerator "did not have room" for our little bottle. The front desk also failed to disburse a group of men talking loudly in the parking lot for hours at night, which kept both us and our baby up.

• Stayed: October 2012
Bennardo, General Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I had avoided this place during my frequent stays in the area. The numerous work trucks outside always seemed to reflect a cheap facility (no disrespect to the workers) - just that crews getting sent out of town don't normally get a decent budget for hotels. Boy was I wrong. The room was as good as the chain hotels I normally stay at in Danbury. The room was modern, spotless and spacious. It smelled a bit musty when I first went in but with the heat and humidity that had been around for days I wasn't surprised. The open door and air conditioner freshened up the air quickly. The night staff were friendly. They had a small breakfast offering in the morning that was plenty. Only negative for me was that the cell signal was very weak for my carrier Sprint/Virgin and I need the secure connection for business.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Bennardo, General Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you so much for staying at the Newbury Inn. You are one of the many guests who have commented to us "What a Pleasant Surprise".

Thank you once again and when you are in the area hope to see you again.at the Newbury Inn.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I called this a hotel, because it has more of a hotel feel than an Inn. The website is very helpful. Getting a reservation there was very easy. Although, I believe The Newbury Inn is a new name, because when I looked at my credit card deposit, it was something else. I got a bit worried, but then someone mentioned they had changed names. The rooms are very average, no thrills. We didnt spend too much time there, so I cant add as much color as some people. We did decide to cut our stay short by one night, and that was very easy and accomodating. They have a small continental breakfast(juice, coffee, bagels, danishes, etc). We will stay here again when visiting my sister.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank douglas r

We appreciate your positive feedback on the Newbury Inn. We take great pride in our property and our staff. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have stayed here a number of times in the last few months and starting to remember us !! This occasion, we arrived @ 2 in the morning - we obviously awoke the check-in person, but she was pleasant. Room clean, bed comfy, convienent location. Will stay here again !!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Bennardo, General Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

I would like to thank you for the wonderful review that you gave my staff and the Newbury Inn. We appreciate your repeat business and are looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Some colleagues and I stayed here in separate accommodations on a business trip for a week. I was not expecting much when we pulled up and saw that the Inn was a motel, but our stay here was a lovely and pleasant surprise.

The rooms were very spacious with two double beds and plenty of desk space which was not just squashed in, and a lot of space around the beds and between the beds and the other furniture. The bedding was nice, with big fluffy pillows. Bathrooms had a separate open sink area with a hairdryer and coat closet, with the toilet/shower area separated by a door. I find this arrangement the most comfortable when I am staying with others, as it allows one to use the sink and hair dryer while the other is using the shower. The shower in my unit was good, but my friend's shower head next door was not working properly at one point (she didn't bother to correct it, however). Wifi was good with no hassles.

The breakfast was very basic (cereals, coffee), so there was nothing I could eat, since I'm gluten intolerant. I expected this might be the case anyway and brought my own cereal. Tip: don't grab dinner at the Chinese restaurant next door. It's bad.

The staff was very friendly and the woman who ran the place was nice.

The only thing I found unsavory was the many-legged bug that crawled up my wall one night, which I forgave since this is in the country.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

I want to thank you for your positive review. We take pride of our staff and our property. We listen to your comments on the breakfast and since then we have made some changes to our breakfast items. We hope that when you come back you will enjoy the changes that we made.

Newbury Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookfield
Homestead Inn
#1 of 15 in Danbury
Hampton Inn Danbury
Hampton Inn Danbury
#3 of 15 in Danbury

Been to Newbury Inn? Share your experiences!