“Old reliable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Danbury, CT
“Old reliable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

I've been eating at the Hearth for 50 years now, it's just a comfortable place to go. We used to kid that only old folks would eat there but I'm in that group now and enjoyed my lunch.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank robstainedglass

Goleta
“This was just right for half our group”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I went here with a group of 8. Half were over the age of 80. With that consideration, it was a good choice. The restaurant is quiet, which is so hard to find these days. The prices were reasonable and the service efficient and kindly. The food is about 2 notches up from hospital food. As in iceberg lettuce salad, bland soup, mashed carrots as a side vegetable, mushy fish. Nothing tasted bad, but there was nothing to rave about either. Very common food. I has baked scod. It was OK. The thing that struck me as odd were the early bird specials, no price reduction from the regular menu, you just get soup and salad instead of only salad. Weird and not worth it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Di B
Bedford Hills, New York
“Good food, good friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Went there with a bunch of people my husband use to work with years ago. I read the reviews here, and was concerned.

I'm glad to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The food was good, service was pretty good considering the size of our group.

I had the chopped steak. Although I ordered it Medium/Rare it arrived more Medium/Well. But it wasn't dried out like a Medium/Well would be. My husband had the Top Sirloin Med/Rare and he said it was good.

Based on reviews, maybe the food quality varies on the day.

• Visited September 2013
New Fairfield
“Bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband, grandson and I went to the Hearth for dinner recently. We have always loved the Hearth and have gone many times and enjoyed ourselves. I told the waitress my grandson would have broiled bay scallops and rice. He was served cut up sea scallops and a baked potato. I didn't complain then as I didn't want to ruin our night. I called the next day and asked to speak with a manager. The person who answered the phone said she could help me. She turned out to be our waitress. I explained what the problem was. She told me that they only have baby sea scallops on the menu, not bay scallops. OK, so maybe I misread the menu. She could have told me when I ordered, that they didn't have bay scallops. Also, if he was being served "baby sea scallops" as she called them then why were they sea scallops, just cut up. She didn't even mention his missing rice, baked potato substitution. She just kept saying that when she noticed that my grandson hadn't eaten the scallops that she asked him if they were OK and he said fine. Then she told me that it wasn't her fault if I didn't read the menu correctly. I was very disappointed. I should have persisted and demanded a manager. I think that things can't get better if the management doesn't know what goes wrong.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Disappointed1213
New York City, New York
“good eating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went to the Hearth for a bridal shower, didn't know what to expect. Yes, the place could use updating but the food was excellent. service was great.

• Visited May 2013