“No thanks, I'll pass...”
Review of Hearth

Hearth
Ranked #11 of 64 Restaurants in Brookfield
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Growing up in the area, and whenever hearing about 'The Hearth', images of old, blandness always came to mind. Well, I went there for the first time recently only because I was invited. My past assumptions were true in spite of not wanting them to be; I had seen the menu online and was looking forward to a steak. It couldn't be too bad...

First, in the parking lot, I hit a huge pot hole full of muddy water, fouling up my clean car. The pot hole was unavoidable. Entering, the establishment was dark and eerie, as was where I sat. Very outdated.

The only side dishes available to the entrees was a potato, either baked, mashed or fried. I, somewhat confused by the lack of options, asked the waitress if they had any green vegetables. She didn't know and had to ask in the kitchen!!! Yes, they do, green beans, that's fine.

Starting off with, was an iceburg lettuce salad, which is the only option, bland. Select grade steak had no seasoning at all, not a hint. Green beans were covered in grease; couldn't be butter since it wasn't salty.
The pickled items were good, including the herring.

The waitress, kind and friendly, seemed overworked in her section and somewhat scatterbrained by the way she went about things. It was clear she knew how to tend to senior citizens well but not so much to the younger crowd, like those under 50.

My friends were also disappointed with their meals. Boring boneless skinless chicken breast, greasy fried shrimp, and potatoes potatoes potatoes.

Not unless the tv show 'Restaurant Impossible' gives the Hearth a makeover, I won't be going back.

1  Thank jason k

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We celebrated our Thanksgiving at the Hearth. We had made reservations and our table was ready as promised. The menu was abbreviated because of the holiday, but the choices were all wonderful. I had the baked stuffed shrimp and would certainly go back for that meal again. All of the other entrees at the table were just as scrumptious looking. The servings were large and we all enjoyed the desserts, including the pumpkin pie! Our server was very attentive and her sense of humor made the day.

1  Thank retired0606
Reviewed October 15, 2011

This was about our eighth visit to the Hearth, and we're never disappointed. We eat here during "leaf peeping" and other day trips up from our home in Brooklyn, NY. The food is basic American fare, tasty and inexpensive, which brings in hordes of seniors looking for value. This place is like a throwback to the simpler and more wholesome times of the 50's. My wife and I had chopped steak and scrod, and both dishes were excellent, as was the friendly and professional service. The decor is pleasant and our booth was very comfy.

Our only complaint today, which is rare for us in this place, was the rice pudding I ordered, which, although fresh, was the worst and most flavorless I've ever had. But my wife's "daily special" banana cream pie was awesome, and made up for it!

Note: They're only open for lunch Tues, Weds and Sat from 12-2:30, and then close until 5pm for dinner. So if you want lunch, be there by 2:30pm.

2  Thank Puzzler4879
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife and I have been eating here almost every weekend for over Ten (10) years. The food is always excellent, generous portions and excellent service. In our book its the TOPS.

2  Thank JHOSR
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We go to this restaurant quite often & we always find it with great food, selections & service. The price is always perfect & they do a fantastic job whether lunch or dinner. Yestdays it was a little different with a "complete dinner" with great choices & prices, white tablecloths & special menu made it all different. Can't say enough about it & the Filet Mignon was cooked to perfection & a perfect piece of meat.

3  Thank spring93