“Something for Everybody”
Review of Lake Compounce

Lake Compounce
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 402 acres of fun, Lake Compounce is the oldest continuously operating amusement park in North America, welcoming families since 1846. Lake Compounce has ten cozy catering pavilions and plenty of room to host your next birthday, party, family reunion, and corporate event! Lake Compounce combines unique and exciting thrill rides and coasters for all ages with a full-sized water park—all for one low price. As the park continues to delight families from all around the New England area and beyond, the balance of evolution and tradition continues to play an important role at the nation’s first amusement park.
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I visited Lake Compounce for the first time in 2011 and returned in 2012. This year, I bought a season pass and have visited twice. Sadly, none of my experiences have matched my first but I can say that with a world class coaster and plenty other rides and experiences, Lake Compounce is a great little park to visit.

I had one goal when I first went to Lake Compounce was to try out Boulder Dash and I was pleasantly surprised by just how pleasant the atmosphere was yet how well the park was maintained. The free soft drink policy is a great perk for the park and it shows that the park is taking all of your money up front and is not worming it out of you with overpriced everyday commodities.

The ride selection, though somewhat sparse, has a fantastic variety that will allow everybody to have fun, so I would definitely recommend this for a day trip with the family. The ride selection for younger children is much greater than for thrill seekers. There are only 4 quality attractions for thrill seekers. This includes Boulder Dash, Downtime, and Thunder & Lightning. The only other attraction is the sky coaster which costs extra money. Wildcat is a rather tame and somewhat rough wooden coaster though it does have one part that is quite fun. Zoomerang is a ride that you can find at pretty much any other park and is mediocre at best. The water park lacks any rides that seriously appeal to thrill seekers (whether they are intended to or not) but I would still recommend checking it out because you can still enjoy some of the tube slides.

Despite the lack of thrill rides, I would still recommend Lake Compounce to any thrill seeker. Boulder Dash is one of if not the best roller coaster in the world. It is certainly not scary but it packs more punch than you could imagine. If Boulder Dash was a solitary attraction with no park around it that costed $40 to have unlimited rides, I would recommend this park.

My biggest complaint with Lake Compounce is its operations. I continue to return to this park, driving 2 1/2 hours from New Jersey to find Boulder Dash and Wildcat running one train. When I come on a crowded July day with the queue line pouring out of the entrance for Boulder Dash, I would expect the park to recognize that the line will be upwards of 45 minutes and take out a second train. There could have been troubles with the other train, but I know that when 3 out of the 4 times I've been there I have had this problem, I can't help but feel it is an attempt to save money on operations. The operators are not that fast either. They often waste time talking to their fellow operators when there is only one train and the capacity is already low. For driving 2 1/2 hours I do not want to wait in that kind of a line. This is more of a complaint for people travelling from long distance. Locals of Connecticut who have season passes would more likely enjoy a day trip than people from a distance. However, it is still well worth the trip.

Lake Compounce is very good at saving people from coming on the wrong day. Whenever a ride is down they post it on their Facebook and on their website. It is a little pricey, but they generally have low prices in their park and drinks are free. Plus parking isn't very pricey at all.

Overall, Lake Compounce is a great park that I would recommend to anyone. It is a nice small park that is a refresher from larger parks like Six Flags which throw advertising at you and do not take care of their parks.

2  Thank Michael C
SaraFLC, Manager at Lake Compounce, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Hi Michael!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! Did you know that Boulder Dash was voted #1 Wooden Coaster in the world for 2013 by Amusement Today?

Hope to see you soon!

in 26 reviews
"lazy river"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed August 1, 2014

What a wonderful place to visit last summer, wonderful weather helped, easy to find and park. A great choice of rides and the water park was wonderful. Very highly recommended! wish we had a park like this in the UK !

1  Thank Lindsay R

Hi Lindsay!

Thank you for the great review! Please come again on your next trip to the US!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

First time visiting and I was pleasantly surprised, being an older park I found it to be very accommodating, plenty of rides to enjoy, and FREE soft drinks all day long! The price was excellent. Food is very good and over all we had a wonderful time!!

Hi Just J!

We are so glad that you had a great first visit! We hope it is the first of many! Did you know that we are actually the oldest continuously running amusement park in North America? Have a great rest of your summer!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Visited the park on a Wednesday with my husband and three children. All five of us had a fabulous time from the minute we entered the park. The lines were reasonable and the people were very courteous and well mannered. We enjoyed the fact that there were rides and attractions for all group ages. I have an 11 year old, 8 year old, and a 7 year old and they were able to go on all the rides together. The views are beautiful which made our visit the more pleasant. Plenty of lounge chairs near the wave pool were a plus and the free unlimited drinks were another highlight of the day. Great family place. Will visit again.

Hi Family Fun!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We hope to see you and your family again this summer!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I wanted to take family from out of town to a nearby water/theme park and Lake Compounce was a good choice. It's a nice size but not so big that it's overwhelming. The water park is also lots of fun with so many different activities to keep you busy and screaming with joy or fear depending on what you are doing.

Going on a weekday in the summer does have it's disadvantages. Very crowded with tons of summer school groups everywhere. I imagine it's probably worse on the weekend.

Enjoy!

SaraFLC, Manager at Lake Compounce, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Hi DRoman!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We always strive to provide entertainment for the entire family! We do recommend that our guests wishing to avoid large crowds come on a weekday. Some weekdays do have large groups attending but not all. you could always try calling the day before if you would like and ask if we have any large groups attending the next day! thanks again for visiting!

Been to Lake Compounce? Share your experiences!