“Good, clean fun!”
Review of Lake Compounce

Lake Compounce
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 402 acres of fun, Lake Compounce is the oldest continuously operating amusement park in North America, welcoming families since 1846. Lake Compounce has ten cozy catering pavilions and plenty of room to host your next birthday, party, family reunion, and corporate event! Lake Compounce combines unique and exciting thrill rides and coasters for all ages with a full-sized water park—all for one low price. As the park continues to delight families from all around the New England area and beyond, the balance of evolution and tradition continues to play an important role at the nation’s first amusement park.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Ok, I love amusement parks. Lake Compounce did not disappoint. My husband and I took our 4 and 14 year olds and both found this place to be their favorite part of a 3 week road trip around the East Coast. It was smaller than Six Flags and, as a bonus, much less packed. On a sunny summer day, it was nice that we did not spend most of our time in line for rides. I loved that both kids found so much to do and we adults even loved it. THe water park was great and the free drinks were a shock that I have yet to get over. It has been a week since we visited and the family is ready to return. Go!

2  Thank jmapcv
in 14 reviews
"whole family"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We live in Rhode Island and make a trip here every summer. The park is so much fun, very clean and the staff are generally very nice. Love the fact that there are free drinks, as we went on a very hot day and would have spent a ton of money on water if it wasn't available. We spent 6+ hours and could have easily come back for another full day without a problem. Will definitely be back next summer!

1  Thank glickgirls
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This park was great. Better than I expected. My 12, 3 and 37 year old had a ball (my husband is the eldest, no need to mention my age :)) Very clean, alot of wet and dry rides for both children. Eventhough we don't drink soda, the free beverages were a plus. . Will definately visit again soon..

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Today our son turned 8 and this is the 3rd year in a row that he has made Lake Compounce his choice of detestation as to where he wanted to spend his Birthday. The place is only getting better and better. I commented to my husband how impressed I was that "despite soda being free there wasn`t cups littered all over the place!" people are keeping it clean! Only place I saw cups were near some of the rides where people clearly were in line and couldn't toss them without getting out of line, and no trash can at the ride entrances. Even then they were on rope posts and not the tossed on the ground.
Plus`s : Centrally located in CT , family affordable, AAA discount, low season pass prices available, 2 parks in one with lots to do for anyone of any age and of course FREE soda and water fountain drinks all day.
negatives : You still have to pay at least 8 dollars for parking, $12 small locker fee with $5.oo refunded with key turn in... so $7.00 ( but the locker is optional) .The park opens at 11 am and the water park at 12. I have never understood why they do it this way? Most major parks open as early as 8 am .Waiting around an hour at the gate to get in the water area is like the running of the bulls. If you don't get their when the gate opens and send your kids in running with a plan; you will lose out on getting lounge chairs for the family. Although this year there are less lounge chairs and more regular plastic chairs making more room. The addition of the tidal wave pool surrounding area is very large! wish the Tidal wave pool itself was bigger. While nice for the first few hours after it opened,by later in the afternoon it was over crowded and started to smell and the water was cloudy. It si hard to maintain chlorine balances with that many people and I am sure the amount of suntan lotions on everyone did not help. I would not recommend small children in this area. I saw several parents holding infants during the waves and I can tell you that it is a huge risk to have that infant ripped out of your arms in that crowd. the waves come on strong and more forceful in the shallow area.people are tossed all around not including the ones horsing around. even with a life vest on you can be pulled into the waves and under briefly. Keep the little ones safe in the kiddie area, it was built for them! The biggest excitement for me and disappointment was that fact that there was no Johnny Rocket! I work in an Inn so before leaving work yesterday I grabbed the pamphlet and noticed they have a Johnny Rocket on the map..I know crazy but I really was excited about it.I was disappointed to see a little storage shed where Johnny Rocket was on the map..lol I didn't ask why it wasn't there. I hazard to guess the red tape of getting a national, chained restaurant into a theme park. If it doesn't work out Five Guys is just as good! ( hint, Hint) Overall we had a great family outing ,was able to beat the 90 plus heat and most of all my son had the Birthday he wanted. See you next year!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have been to this amusement park a few times but never when it was near 100 degrees like it was yesterday and not in more than a year. Generally speaking I don't do rides wet or dry (I get terrible motion sickness), I just go there for the water side of the park (wave pool, lazy river and areas where you can get soaked), and the various games of chance and food. So if you are looking for a review of the rides you won't find it here. This time I went with my friend, her twin 11 year old daughters and my mom who is in her 70s. We rented a cabana and it was well worth it. It came with 10 bottles of water and the ice for the bucket they put the waters in was refreshed a number of times while we were there. It also came with two locker keys and they brought 10 bags of various chips for us to munch on. The cabana we had was located right behind 2 water sprinkler type stations so we could step outside the cabana and get wet and cool off before returning to the privacy of the cabana. It was hot in there, but you were out of the direct sunlight until fairly late in the day and if it were not above 90 degees I think it would have been much more comfortable. There are a number of chairs in the cabanas and the gate to the cabana locks. Of course if someone really wanted to steal your towels and other items all they would have to do is jump over the 4 ft high fence but it still gave us a sense of security. The main thing I was surprised about was how clean the water side of the park was. I only spent a little time on the other side of the park because it was so hot. My mom and I also commented how we did not hear any foul language and even in the heat everyone there seemed to be having a great time. If you order your tickets on line you get a discount for a regular adult ticket and can print out an e-ticket to show when you arrive, a senior ticket is only $20. We had a handicap parking pass courtesy of my mom and it enabled us to park very close to the entrance, but if you get there early the regular parking is not bad. If you plan to go more than 2 times the seasons pass pays for itself. I WILL warn you the water side does not open until noon so if it is hot and you get there early you can't get wet until then. This also means you can't access the cabana until noon. I felt with the heat wave they should have opened the water side of the park earlier and kept it open later (it closes at 7pm) but that is just my opinion. We purchased an assortment of lunch items at the park and all were good, I was surprised at how tasty the hamburgers were! The lake itself looked pretty murky but we are in the middle of a heat wave here in the North East so that may explain it. The ski lift type ride was closed due to the excessive heat but we rode the little train and trolley that take you from the water park part of the park around to the other side of the lake where this ride and the rapids ride are located. I was a bit apprehensive to do this ride but my friend does almost no rides herself and said it was ok. She was more than right. It was great! In fact there was no one waiting when we got back to the start of the ride so we went on it a few times in a row. You DO get really wet so wear your bathing suits. The staff seemed really happy to be there and were quite helpful. I would definitely return to this park. There is another park located in CT called Quassy, I have not been there and neither has my friend so we may try that next.

Been to Lake Compounce? Share your experiences!