“no complaints”

Holiday Inn Bridgeport
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bridgeport
Reviewed August 2, 2007

We arrived in Bridgeport on the ferry from Long Island.Being without a car we looked for a taxi but were kindly offered a lift by a car park mini bus driver who went out of his way to drop us off at the Holiday Inn.
The hotel is located in a downtown area but we found a couple of good restaurants within walking distance and received very good service in the hotel,including complementary free breakfast [Holiday INN priority club] and friendly staff.For a day out,we took a taxi to a good,local beach and a bus back to the hotel. We were close to the Railroad station and took the train back to NYC without a problem. I was really impressed by the train and bus services in the area[cheap,clean and on time] Hopefully this may encourage others to use public transport-it really can be done.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank miklisle

Reviewed June 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Bridgeport in mid-May 2007. I booked the room through Priceline and was very worried once I read the hotel's reviews. In fact, I was so worried that my husband had to convince me to at least look at the hotel before deciding to stay elsewhere. To our surprise the Holiday Inn Bridgeport was clean and comfortable with very friendly staff. Regarding the reportedly unsafe neighborhood, I agree that "urban" and "blighted" are fairly accurate desciptions. However, the hotel itself is well-lit and seemed quite safe. This was true even though my husband I arrived at the hotel at around 2 a.m. We parked in the hotel parking garage directly across the street from the hotel entrance. We chatted with the parking guard who said that a guard was present from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., which reassured us tremendously.

While this hotel would not be our choice for a vacation or romantic getaway, it met our needs for a comfortable hotel that was close to the Amtrak station and to NYC.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 4cowwoman
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I recently booked a 3-night stay at this hotel through a travel service and did not learn the identity of the property until after I paid. I quickly checked Travel Advisor and became frightened after reading some of the previous negative reviews (there are a few doozies). Seeing as how my card had been charged and my purchase was non-refundable I took a chance and checked in.

My fears were unwarranted. The negative reviews for this property are rubbish. Granted, the property appears to have been recently remodeled so perhaps things were different a year or two ago. I am not sure when the remodel occurred but today, May '07, I will tell you that this is a nice 3-star hotel.

Cleanliness was my biggest concern. I performed an extremely thorough inspection and determined that my room was spotless...bathroom, bed, carpet, everything. The lobby appears to be new as well. Each of the floors that I glanced at from the elevator looked equal to mine in terms of condition (new carpet, etc).

As others have already confirmed (even the negative reviewers) staff was always friendly and the food is above average for a 3-star hotel.

Regarding the location, Bridgeport looks like a very lovely city. I passed several beautiful churches and historic buildings on the short drive from freeway to hotel (about a mile). The area is clean and free of litter. Admittedly, the few blocks around the hotel are somewhat urban in appearance. For example, shopkeepers close their stores at night with full-width steel roll-down doors or grates like in most big cities. Not a pretty look, especially if you are driving in at night. Reviewers who stated that buildings were "all boarded up" are most likely referring to this. Quite frankly, this is the only thing that prevented me from giving the hotel an Excellent rating. It's not their fault but it does impact the experience.

There are several fast food restaurants nearby i.e. McDonalds across the street, Subway, KFC, and Dunkin Donuts each a block away. A courthouse and a Rite-Aid pharmacy are across the street. Several nice office buildings are nearby. The elevators are card-controlled so no security issues existed in the hallways. I did not feel unsafe.

If I ever have a need to stay in the area again I would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank greg1357
Reviewed October 26, 2006

Many, many issues with this hotel. I will list all that were negative, in just my one night stay.

First, they booked me into a handicapped room (I am not handicapped), which was disgusting. Even the phone I used to call down to the front desk to get my room changed had been damaged by someone using a pencil to scribble all over it.

When they moved me to another room, the TV did not work. An tech had to come to the room to fix it in the evening, then, in the morning, the TV did not work again. The room did not block out any noise in the hallway. Side note: Local prostitutes use this hotel to "service" visitors...actally saw them in the hall making "deals".

The neighborhood is worse than inner city Baltimore. Enough said.

The room? A health inspector should visit. Mold in the bathroom, stains all over the place, no high-speed internet, tv did not work, peeling wallpaper throughout...shall I go on?

Do yourself a huge favor and stay outside of this town...like the Marriott in Trumbull...

I hope I did not catch anything...will make sure to boil my pjs to make sure any critters are killed...may even just throw them out...

Stayed: October 2006
5  Thank Indoorgrrrl
CTBridgeport, Director of Sales & Marketing at Holiday Inn Bridgeport, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2007

It is now May 30, 2007 and I will not address your comments regarding the Bridgeport Holiday Inn. Bottom line you left unhappy. That is NEVER our intent...not ever.

I am proud to say I represent a fine hotel, our we perfect no...are we striving for perfection? You bet we are! We are located downtown and that does encompass a city in transition.
Our specific location happens to be across the street from a Superior Court building. We are steps away from widely known banking firms and two have won major architectural awards. The Arena at Harbor Yard with its many shows and the Bridgeport Bluefish Ballpark offer great entertainment and they are only a few blocks away. Live theatre, a classic Concert Hall and diverse restaurants offer our visitor a vast array of options.

During my tenure we have had the privilege of hosting the President and First Lady, leaders of the Arts, Entertainment, Science and Sports field. They have left our property with only fine things to say about the service they received many have returned.

All of our customers are important to us as we have one objective only and that is to have our guest leave satisfied. Allow us to prove just how good we really are. Everyone deserves a second chance and we are asking for ours.

Lorraine Scelfo

Reviewed July 6, 2006

This hotel is not nearly as bad as its portrayed in some of the other reviews IMO. The neighborhood is defintely run down, but at no time have I felt unsafe. There are excellent restaurants within walking distance (Ralph & Richie's, Cafe Roma). I had no major issues with my room outside of wishing there were slightly better sound proofing so that the two people talking outside in the hall at 1 AM didn't wake me up. I don't really consider their rudeness to be the hotel's fault. If you are looking for a basic place to stay in downtown Bridgeport, this qualifies. If you are looking for posh, romantic, etc. you should probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank bartman4
Reviewed April 21, 2006

Went to Bridgeport to pick up a car bought on eBay. Holiday Inn is closest to the Amtrak station (you can see it 2 blocks away from station exit) and that's why I chose it...that and my mistaken belief that all Holiday Inns are "plain vanilla" but basically comfortable...NOT THIS ONE!!! This is in a lousy neighborhood and I arrived at 9:00PM..another reviewers description called it "blighted".... this was on the mark. The room cost $139 a night with all of the included taxes. This was a business trip, not a vacation, so my only needs were a comfortable bed, working climate control, and a clean bathroom......this hotel has NONE OF THE ABOVE!!
The bathroom was nasty..the shower curtain was stained and looked like someone had urinated on it. There were stains on the carpet in front of the sink that appeared to be semen stains! I have a concealed carry permit for a handgun so I walked 2 blocks to a Subway restaurant and bought an excellent sandwich for supper. Nobody bothered me, but unless you also carry a handgun.....don't leave this hotel after dark. When I returned, the bed was VERY firm! Like lumpy bricks firm and the climate control is antique...I was NEVER able to adjust it, so the room was unbearably hot all night. Between that ands the hard, lumpy mattress, I got very little sleep that night. I would neither stay in this Holiday Inn again, nor recommend it to anyone else. Mr. Kemmer (the founder of Holiday Inns) would be ashamed of this property and, had he stayed in my room, people would have been unemployed in the morning!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank CycleMeister
A TripAdvisor Member
Providence, RI
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We were in the Bridgeport area to compete in a sporting event, and the Holiday Inn Bridgeport was the host hotel. Aside from being an easy drive to the venue, there wasn't much to recommend about this hotel. The neighborhood is blighted--boarded up store fronts. It was a good thing the hotel has room service, as it's not a neighborhood where one would want to walk after dark, even if there had been any restaurants in the area.

The front desk staff was polite, and check in went smoothly. The room was adequate; it smelled a little funky, even on a non-smoking floor. The ice machine was out of order. The pool was small, and the deep end was only 4 feet. The room service was quick and the food edible.

The biggest hassle was breakfast. We had an early event (as did many others in our group); the breakfast staff was running late and ignored the growing que as they plodded about getting ready to open. They finally let a bunch of us in at 7:15 (advertised opening was 7 AM.) but several staff members grumbled at us when we went through the buffet, and another chastised me for picking up one of many carafes of OJ resting on a table near the buffet (I was, apparently, supposed to wait for my server to bring the carafe to the table.) If a hotel is going to cater to groups, and use the free breakfast as a selling point, they could make sure breakfast is ready at the advertised time so we could get to our event. (I understand that things go amiss--like staff calling in sick--and sometimes restaurants are short handed. This didn't appear to be the case, as there were waitstaff standing around chatting while we stood in line and waited to eat.)

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgeport
Best Western Plus Fairfield Hotel
#2 of 3 in Fairfield
Red Roof Inn Milford
Red Roof Inn Milford
#7 of 13 in Milford

Been to Holiday Inn Bridgeport? Share your experiences!