“Really, really cool!!!!”

The Adventure Park at The Discovery Museum
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Bridgeport
More attraction details
Owner description: The Adventure Park at The Discovery Museum is Connecticut's first tree top climbing and ziplining park. Look up-You will see a series of platforms in the trees connected by various configurations of cable, wood, rope and zip lines to form bridges. Each bridge presents a different challenge of how to get to the next platform. A series of bridges form "aerial trails" that proceed throughout the forest, from one tree platform to the next. There are eight different trails to choose from that you can enjoy at your own pace.FALL HOURS ('till Nov 11): Fri 3pm-9pm, Sat 9am-9pm, Sun & holidays: 9am-Dusk. Illuminated Night Climbing Fri-Sat! Group reservations welcome 7 days a week.
CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Really, really cool!!!!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Never done anything like this - and I'm way too old NOT to have done something like this before! Way better than I thought it was going to be! I went with my lovely lady and her two kids (ages 11 and 8) and we had an absolute blast! Did you notice how many exclamation marks I've used so far?

Serious, it was fun. The facility is brand new and the staff is helpful, polite, and knowledgeable. The park is a little oasis in Bridgeport's North End and once you're there you quickly forget you're in a big city. Having never done anything like this before, I can't objectively compare the quality of the zip experience but I can say that I was surprised at the variety and extensiveness (is that a word?) of the zip routes. It's not just ziplines. In fact, most of the courses are obstacle courses in the sky. And they get progressively harder and harder.

Different routes offer easier or harder challenges but none of them are Lazy-Boy recliner stuff. Even the easiest route will challenge you some - especially for newbies like us. There were a few moments when our 11 year old daughter wanted to bail but with some encouragement she soldiered forward and earned the satisfaction and pride that comes from overcoming a challenge!

The course seems same safe (very cool and interesting technology that keeps you hooked to safety lines at all times). But you gotta be ok with heights cuz you are up anywhere from 8' to probably 30+ feet depending on which course you choose.

Cost us $200 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Well worth it. We went on the last day of the season and the park was busy but we never felt rushed or that we had to wait long to get zipping along. All the leaves were gone so it offered a crisp, autumn experience; I'll bet it's much different when the trees have their canopy. Rumor has it that the park has been a big hit and they intend to add more courses in the spring.

No food or drinks available so plan ahead and the bathrooms are portapotties. Other than that - A+

!!!!!! - I threw these in for effect.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank mprocacc

Long Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place!!!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

After 5 days without power on LI, my husband and I decided to head to this place for a day trip.
It was wonderful!!! They have trails for every level. I have to say, the yellow and green are good for anyone, but starting with blue is a different story.
I had to be rescued on the blue line, but it was so much fun!!!

Highly recommended to anyone age 7+!!!
It seems like they will be close after next weekend. Definitely a great place to visit next year!!!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank shinban
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Combines my three favorite ways to spend time: with family; in nature; in action!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My son and I stopped by The Adventure Park at Discovery Museum on our way up the coast for a New Hampshire vacation. We had a great time laughing with each other, advising each other, and challenging each other! It gave us a lot to talk about on a very long trip. We loved the beautiful, natural setting and the chance to get some fresh air. It was nice to get moving in the middle of our drive. And we didn't even stiffen up afterward! As a middle-aged mom who is always looking for the ideal way to spend time with my boys, I would definately go back. I also have got to say that the staff made us feel welcomed and safe during our climbing adventure.

Visited July 2012
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wow!!!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My adult son and I visited The Adventure Park as part of a celebration of his birthday. Neither of us had been to anything like this before, and were as apprehensive as excited about going. It turned out to be so much fun and a great workout. The staff could not be nicer or more helpful. The park was quite busy but everyone waited patiently. I stayed on the beginner courses while my son braved the higher and more difficult ones. The courses were a mixture of obstacle type walkways and bridges strung through the trees, mixed with zip lines. I have to say it was a challenge but well worth it.

Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Discovered some muscles I never knew I had...”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We went to Adventure Park at Discovery Museum after seeing a Groupon offer. I never knew this existed. What a great find! I was about 1.5 hrs drive away from NYC. We went on a fall Saturday. It's open in Spring and until mid November. I downloaded the registration and waiver off their website to save time. They give you approx 3 hrs for doing the trails. The place looks very clean, new and well taken care of. The staff was very informative and helpful. There are always orange T-shirted STAFF people walking around and you can ask them anything. They are encouraging and give you tips on how to go on the obstacles. There were a few birthday parties there along with quite a few families and friends. This is definitely not for the scardy-cats.

The first stop was getting the harness on. Again, very helpful bunch of staff. After that, there was the information session on how to work the cable clips and zip line rollers. Lots of attention paid to what to do and what not to do. At first I thought this was quite drawn out and long as we were chomping at the bit to go on the trails but it's all necessary.

There are yellow (easy) trails, green, blue, black and double black. Since this was our first time, we decided to do an easy yellow one to get our feet wet. One look at the double black and we knew it wasn't for us. Maybe for the more adventurous folks!

The yellow one was easy enough for us to get used to. Lots of balancing, swinging, and zip lining. On to the green Forest Walk (?) one and then to the blue Waterfall one. Seeing that we went as a family, there was a lot of encouraging, tips giving as well as good-natured heckling. More encouraging than heckling of course!

There was enough trails and not enough people so that no one trail was jammed. Only 3 max people on a pedestal and only 1 person on a line at a time.

The cable system is excellent. I didn't feel like there was a dangerous situation at any point. By the time we got to the blue trail, there were muscles aching that I didn't know existed! Good thing?

There are picnic tables under the trees that non-climbers can hang out and snap photos of their friends and family. There is also FREE WATER available on the ground! A definite PLUS! Some of the trails and courses were quite challenging but with the mantra of "Mind over matter" and "If I can do this, then Fear Factor, here I come!" I went through it just fine.

I highly recommend this for families, birthday parties, friends adventures, etc... Driving back, we reminisced on which was our favorite course, which was the most difficult cable and how much fun we had. What a fun day for all!

Visited October 2012