“Fantastic potential, but safety is overlooked”

The Adventure Park at The Discovery Museum
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Bridgeport
More attraction details
Owner description: The Adventure Park at The Discovery Museum is Connecticut's first tree top climbing and ziplining park. Look up-You will see a series of platforms in the trees connected by various configurations of cable, wood, rope and zip lines to form bridges. Each bridge presents a different challenge of how to get to the next platform. A series of bridges form "aerial trails" that proceed throughout the forest, from one tree platform to the next. There are eight different trails to choose from that you can enjoy at your own pace.FALL HOURS ('till Nov 11): Fri 3pm-9pm, Sat 9am-9pm, Sun & holidays: 9am-Dusk. Illuminated Night Climbing Fri-Sat! Group reservations welcome 7 days a week.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I visited the park yesterday with my two children ages 10 and 8. This is really an amazing park in concept and MOST of the time we absolutely loved it. However, I cannot recommend this park due to the poorly trained and discourteous staff. Let me start by saying that my family has done this type of activity in several other places. Most recently at an amazing park in Mexico called "Selvatica". Every time we have zip-lined in the past I have been thoroughly impressed with the safety precautions in place.

Not so here. To start, you are given a harness and a staff member assists you to tighten the straps. Then a staff member gives a 10 minute orientation of the process. This is an important piece because unlike some parks, you are constantly clipping and unclipping yourself to lines. You are never unclipped except when on the ground, but you have to maneuver yourself between lines at every obstacle. I had no complaints about the orientation. The staff member may not have been personable or engaging, but he covered the material.

My real complaint is the staff out on the courses. There were three occasions throughout our day where the kids needed help. Once when a child got stuck between platforms on a zip line and started to panic. Once when a child couldn't navigate an obstacle and finally when another child got stuck between platforms on a zip line. In all three cases the staff involved were impatient with the children to the point of being nasty. In the final case, the staff member was using a tree branch to move the child between platforms and when that didn't work, he grabbed the child by the feet and threw him towards the platform with such force he slammed into a tree. Honestly, it was like a Tom & Jerry cartoon. My son hit with such force he bounced back off the platform and FINALLY the staff member grabbed the ladder (which had been 10 feet away the entire time) and pushed my son to the other side. Never did he ask my son if he was ok. Which he was, thankfully.

I hate to be such a downer on this place because it is so unique for our area. However, I don't feel like the staff know what they are doing and there was no evidence of real supervision going on to improve things. I can't recommend this experience until they do better. At least not for younger children.

16  Thank Shelly S

Reviewed September 14, 2012

There are 8 "trails" representing 5 different difficulty levels - so you don't have to go on the really tough courses and elements if you're not up for it. Very enjoyable, was a bonding experience with my daughter to do this together. The staff are there to assist, but you are entirely responsible for your own equipment at each platform. Safety gear is designed so you are ALWAYS clipped in, but you still have to move the clip from one cable to another, and get on the zip lines on your own. It's not hard, but you've got to do it on your own once up on the course. I didn't expect that, but it was okay, my 7-year old managed her own clips just fine, and ended up coaching me through some of the hard parts. Lots of fun!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was a fun and physically challenging course consisting of zip lines and more difficult rope bridges. The beginning levels are exciting and seemed good for families. The rules make you try progressively harder levels before moving to the more arduous levels. A staff person starts you off with an explanation of how to use the harness and the clips throughout. This becomes easier as you get used to the system and it never leaves you unclipped throughout the course. The trick is that as you progress through the levels and get increasingly tired, the courses become even harder. By the last course we tried (black diamond), I had had enough. I could have stopped at the blue course and had a perfect experience. One of the most mentally challenging and rewarding parts is the drop where you have to step off the platform into air and trust that the line is going to slowly lower you to the ground. It is a rush once you try it. I recommend this to adults and families with kids – probably best for over 10 years old I think. I did not bring my kids on this trip but it is hard to envision my 7 year old trying this even though she would have made the age limit.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I went to the new Adventure Park at Discovery Museum two weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon and had an amazing time. We spent just under three hours there and made it through five seperate courses.

Simply put, the park contains a series of rope & zip line attractoins that connect one tree to another. These attractions are laid out in a series of difficulty levels from very easy (yellow) to very challenging (double black diamond). It is similar to a ski resort in that you can return ot the base and start over on a differnet 'trail' through the trees until your time runs out.

On your first time you will receive a bar code dongle so repeat visits are easy and a training lesson in how to use their proprietary harness.

I was very impressed with the harness itself - their system makes it nearly impossible for you to become disconnected from the course once you have started. there are two seperate connection devices that attach to the safety line at the beginning of a trail. As you move from the base station to the first 'trail' you can only disconnect one of them and must attach it to the safety line on the trail before you can disconnect the other one - so you are always connected.

There is something wonderful and thrilling to be zipping from one tree top to another sixty feet off the ground.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My 15 year old daughter wanted to go for a birthday get together. She brought two friends and her younger sister (11). The event was exciting for all of them. Just learning the way the clips and equipment work was entertaining in itself. I watched from the paths below, I would have loved to join them, but thought I had to carry water and belongings (this was not necessary). There is water available on the ground with paper cups - nice surprise. We went on a morning during a heat wave, and the adventure kept their minds beyond the heat factor, being within the canopy of the trees. Although they were extremely hot, the thinking needed to get from one line to the next was an unexpected pleasure... it was definitely a mind/body experience. The staff was patient and helpful. The way that the trails were attached to the trees without permeating them was really interesting, too. We left at 2 3/4 hours only because of the heat that day. I would like to go back with my husband for my birthday!!