“Hidden Gem in CT”
Review of Beardsley Zoo

Beardsley Zoo
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Bridgeport
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was not my childhood zoo that I remembered which was concrete cages that you could walk freely from the park into the zoo to see the animals. It is really one of those hidden gems that you should consider if you want to a short CT day trip with your kids. There are a lot of rare animals (tigers, bison, and prairie dogs) that we did not expect to see. The peacocks still walk freely like they did years ago. Admission price is reasonable especially if you use a coupon. $35 or less for a family of four. Parking is free. Ice cream is inexpensive for a quick treat. $2.50 or less for most of the items. The hands on exhibits for the kids are a nice feature. The camel ride is extra ($5/rider) but the kids really seemed to enjoy the short ride on the camel. Beardsly Zoo is well worth a day trip to consider. It was a very pleasant family experience.

1  Thank Wayne N
There are newer reviews for Beardsley Zoo

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Small zoo but cute. It was an 1 1/2 drive from where I live. Not worth the drive for just the zoo. It is small and doesn't take long to go through. We did enjoy our time while there.

1  Thank Annmarie C
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a cute zoo with a good collection of different types of animals, some of which are rather unusual. Easy to walk around, lots of shade. Not too big or crowded. My husband and I enjoyed strolling around the place. Relaxing and pleasant zoo with animals that are not all sleeping. My favorites were the prairie dogs and river otters. They had a lot wolves which I had never seen before, so that was very interesting to watch them. I think this is an excellent place for young children to visit.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I remember Beardsley from my youth and have visited through the years but I was not prepared for the incredible new additions they have made since my last visit about 10 years ago. It's well laid out footprint allows you to see a lot in a a few hour visit. The maned wolf exhibit was very well done as was the indoor tropical rainforest

2  Thank Zoolover2009
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Nice zoo, a fair variety of animals. Friendly staff. They have a funny puppet show that the kids liked. Overall recommended for younger children.