“Great place to stay if one needs to be close to Yale”

Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Branford
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We, parents and two boys, just got back from a two night stay at the Hoilday Inn Express. As study participants we needed to be close to Yale, and this was a great choice. The staff, all three we came in contact with, were very friendly, professional and accommodating. The room was clean and attractive. The pool area was pleasant and the water was nice and warm. The only problem we encountered was that the heating unit in our room was interrmittently noisy. A local diner a mile down the road was convenient and had good food.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed October 13, 2010

We checked in as Priority Club members and were actually treated to a welcome gift - simple but appreciated. This is the first priority club stop in the last 4 that bothered to provide info of what was offered & a complimentary snack. The hotel was well lit & clean and the check-in staff was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable. The room was large and clean and the wifi worked flawlessly. :-) Who can beat the smell of freshly warmed cinnamon buns in the breakfast nook. The only down sides were that I apparently caught the business center computer in an update or virus scan and it was extremely slow and difficult to print out materials. And, more significantly, I had signed up for their American Express promotion, and the check-out staff Sunday morning knew nothing about that promo and laughed at their lack of information. I got the amex card but was wished good luck figuring out the particulars. In spite of the Sunday morning staff, I recommend this hotel. Cleanliness is important to me and this fit the bill.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2010

It was a very nice stay. The young woman that checked me in was very knowledgeable and friendly. She made me feel welocme at their hotel. Rooms were spotless.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I have been staying at this hotel since June1, 2010. I was met by a competent and friendly manager and staff. It is now August 8 and nothing has changed. My business has me traveling for over 25 years so my sampling is many. My ratings will speak to the specifics. I enjoy the Wednesday night free buffet where the staff mingles and learns your name and will ask how your day went. This has been as close to being home that it gets.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2010

The Holiday Inn Express in Branford has proven to be one of the nicest, most accommodating hotels that I've ever stayed in. The management has attended to my every request, has been very pleasant and very professional. Linda Ellex, the manager, has been an exemplary manager representing the Holiday Inn. The housekeeping staff has been efficient and courteous. I've enjoyed the complimentary morning breakfast. The rooms are large, clean, and well-maintained. The decor is pretty with a seashell theme. I expect to stay at no other hotel when I visit my daughter in Branford. I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Branford to any of my friends.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Stayed here one night mid-week while traveling through the area. I'm a pretty easygoing person, and I arrived at 10 PM with an infant in tow, so I especially just wanted to get settled quickly. First room assigned had weird smell like strong cleaning product or permanent wave solution when I walked in, so I asked for a different room. Second room smelled exactly the same but slightly less strongly, and I was advised by the desk clerk that it was just the "Holiday Inn fragrance," but that lots of other guests had remarked on it's harsh scent and we just "must all be especially sensitive to smells." (It was spring allergy season - I could hardly smell anything that day but the room was SO overpowering. Also, I stayed at 3 other HIE in the past two months - absolutely no "HI fragrance" at any of those!) Anyway, took second room, got baby settled in her portable crib, started to get undressed to shower and when I took my shoes off, the carpet was wet! All around the beds was damp and spongy. So I called the front desk to ask if maybe the carpeting had been cleaned recently and the guy said, "No, it's probably just damp from the AC running." I suggested that a) if not cleaned, then perhaps could be any liquid - urine or whatnot, and b) even if from AC, that it would suggest they're growing mold in their rooms. Then, even though he told the guy checking in ahead of me that they had "tons of available rooms," he only offered me back to the first room and no discount offered for the hassle or nasty nasty smell! (I left the window open to help air the room out - no exhaust fan in bathrooms - and was awoken at 0630 to the outside intercom system at the car dealership next door paging the service dept.)

*One bright spot - in the morning I couldn't find my cell phone, and the morning clerk called it so I could find it buried in my luggage. That was helpful : )

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2010

I was looking for a meeting room in the area and found the Holiday Inn Express Branford, as per the website I requested a quote, 9 days later I still haven't heard from anyone at that hotel....it took all other hotels in the area 1 business day to get back to me; so I decided to call the hotel. I call the hotel and it took awhile for anyone to answer the phone and when someone finally did it seemed like I was bothering her and when I asked to speak to a specific department she asked me what for. After telling her what I was calling for and finding out they already booked their meeting room I was told bye and she just hung up. This was very unprofessional and I will never look to book anything at this hotel again. I speak to many different people at different hotel chains and I was very disappointed in her lack of interest of wanting to help me.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branford
Baymont Inn & Suites Branford / New Haven
Americas Best Value Inn
#3 of 7 in Branford
Hyatt Place Milford/New Haven
SpringHill Suites Milford

Been to Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven? Share your experiences!