“Poor business practices” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Branford
Connecticut
“Poor business practices”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

After reading Kimberly's review, I felt compelled to write one myself although I have never stayed at this particular Holiday Inn Express. My fiancée called this hotel over a month ago to inquire about a wedding block. We NEVER received a call back. After a second and third call all we were told was that they had no manager and that the Regional Manager came in and out of the hotel to run it. After 4 weeks of not hearing back from them we decided to stop at the hotel to inquire. We were assisted by a nice woman who insisted she had emailed my fiancée after the original phone call which we now know was not true. She could not tell us with certainty how much the rooms would be, she thought they were 139.99 a night (which after looking it up appeared to be approximately 6 dollars off the list price on the corporate site). She could not issue us the block because we would have to wait for the Regional Manager to return from Las Vegas to email us a contract. This was now over a week ago and surprise, we never got it. I hope others take my advice and try to find a different hotel!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEXBranford, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
I first want to take the time to apologize for the inconvenience that has been caused due to you attempting to set up a wedding block. As you know, we are currently going through a management change and our Regional Manager was traveling on business for the past couple of weeks. We have caught up on all of our wedding block inquiries and sent contracts out the beginning of this week. Again, I would like to apologize for us falling short of your expectation. Please give us the opportunity to make this right. I promise that your wedding block will be handled by me personally. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call at 203-488-4035.

Best regards,
Brianna McKay
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Plainville, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I got married at Woodwinds on 9/28 in Branford. A year in advance I blocked off 40 hotel rooms at a rate of $139.99. Since this is the "nicest" hotel in Branford I felt like I had no choice but to pick them at this outrageous rate. I had nothing but problems with our block in the 2 months leading up to the wedding. I had my guests calling me to tell me that the hotel told them our block was full or almost full before the invitations even went out. Imagine my stress level as I had already paid for the hotel's information to be printed on my invitations!!! I called the front desk and the gentleman I spoke with had no clue that my block was supposed to be 40 rooms and that I only had 5 rooms left AND that he couldn't help me until a manager returned two days later on Monday! Even then it took my fiance calling and calling to get confirmation that our block was set at the 40 rooms as originally contracted. Even after that the front desk people kept telling our guests that the block was full. A week before our block was over I had a guest list faxed to me, we were not close to our 40 rooms. I'm furious that my guests were told the block was full, when it clearly was not.

I did not stay in the hotel myself, but my fiance did the night before the wedding. Months in advance I had asked for the 2 groomsman rooms to be connecting, they were not. I heard from numerous guests that the walls were extremely thin, they could hear EVERYTHING in the rooms next door...TV's, music, people talking, doors opening and closing. Some of the rooms had stains on the carpets or furniture.

There was also another wedding block that night. I found out that some of my guests received the other wedding's welcome bags...HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?! I did not do welcome bags, and thank God because I would've been so angry to find out that they were giving out my welcome bags that I spent money and time to create, to the other wedding. In addition we found out a few days after the wedding that some guests had been double charged for rooms that they did not occupy. The rooms my groomsmen paid for were also charged to one of my cousin's cards. I have no clue how that happens, but I then had to reach out to all my guests to ask them to check their credit card statements. it makes me wonder how these employees are handling customer's credit card information??!?! I also booked two suites for our parents at a rate of $159.99, and found out one of my Aunt/Uncles ended up in a regular room at the end of a hallway which was apparently MUCH bigger than the suite, and here I am spending much more for what was supposed to be a "nicer" room.

Even though I did not physically stay in this hotel, I had over 60 guests who did. The rate of $139.99 is a complete rip-off, especially considering the service I received with my wedding block and the thousands of dollars I brought them from my guests staying there. If I was rich I'd build a nicer, cheaper hotel, with a free shuttle service and run this hotel out of business. I do not want to discourage brides from booking at Woodwinds, because that is a top-notch wedding venue for service and food and they made my wedding day the best day of my life, but feel it necessary to warn other brides in advance. Overall I am extremely disappointed and would never choose to give my business to any other Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HIEXBranford, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Kimberley,

First, I would like to say congratulations on your recent wedding.

I am sorry that the Holiday Inn Express fell short with our service during the planning of your wedding block & with your wedding guest. I can say that the hotel is currently going through a management change with one of our main focus being on handling of our wedding blocks. I know this doesn't make you experience any better, but I can ensure that in the future our hotel will offer outstanding service from the first time one of our many brides and grooms contacts us to the moment their last guest departs.

Kimberley, I would love to make this situation a little better with you and your husband. Give me a call at 203-488-4035 to arrange a night on me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

RK Hospitality Area Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Branford hotels

Putnam, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Room was bright and clean.. Quiet and comfortable. Spent one night there. It was close to Hammonasset Beach State Park where we went to attend the first Ann Miller CT Women of Hope Walk. We enjoyed the breakfast in morning it started early so it was an advantage to us. Staff was very friendly!

Room Tip: 3rd Floor was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIEXBranford, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
We appreciate you taking the the time to give feedback on our hotel. We hope that our breakfast was a great way to start off your walk. Thank you again for your business and we hope you visit us again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed one night for business. Checked in the afternoon an the gentleman that checked me in was efficient and friendly. The rooms were clean but in need of upgrading in the bathroom. Wall are thin, you can hear you neighbors TV

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIEXBranford, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us. Thanks for letting me know that my staff offered great customer service, this is their number one goal. I will share your comments with our ownership as we are starting the process to make plans for future improvements at the Holiday Inn Express in Branford, CT.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed there this past weekend. Room cost around $140 per night. Not worth the money. If I paid $79 or less I wouldn't complain. First room the air was broken. Since I read the reviews prior to staying I immediately went to the front desk and asked for a room switch. They were super nice and switched the room without any problems. The second room was cooler but furniture was stained and outdated. Bed was rather uncomfortable. the pillows said firm and soft. no difference in either one but they did give you plenty! The Internet worked at times. I did go to the front desk again ( they were probably sick of me) but they said there was nothing they could do! The most disturbing part of the stay was the fact that my uncle lost his key. He went to the front desk and they asked him for his room number only and then gave him a key!! No I'd or even last name was asked! So I would never stay again more for security reasons than anything else!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HIEXBranford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sorry that we fell short in a few areas. I have meet with my staff to address these issues. I will share your comments with our ownership as we are starting the process to make plans for future improvements at the Holiday Inn Express in Branford, CT.

I am sorry about your Uncle's car. I would like to stress this is not the normal at the Holiday Inn Express in Branford. I have worked here for over 3 years and very rarely have any issues with vehicles being damaged.

Braintree, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Checked in late evening. Reservation quickly found by pleasant young woman at the desk. Room was clean and spacious. Even though our room was next to the elevator, there was no noise from it. Only con was unfortunately the thin walls, which made no need for the alarm I had set on my phone because our neighbor's alarm went off a half hour before mine and was loud & long enough to make me just give in and get up & start the day. Breakfast area was clean and stocked with a good variety of breakfast items. Overall a good stay.
PS Since we arrived late and hungry, asked at the desk for a pizza place and she suggested Marco's next door!! Kudos to Marco for their delicious, well-prepared and perfectly baked pizzas!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us. Thanks for letting me know that my staff offered great customer service, this is their number one goal. We are aware that there is a concern with noise at times from room to room. We are starting the process to make plans for future improvements at the Holiday Inn Express in Branford, CT and are researching options for making improvements in this area.

I do have to agree Marco's Pizza next door is very good.

Cranston, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The first thing that you should know about this hotel is that a manager is only available Monday - Friday and there is no one to help with maintenance in the evenings. We arrived on a Saturday in the evening. The hotel needs to be renovated. Our air conditioner had a mind of its own, there was no water pressure in the shower, the water in the shower did not get hot enough, the carpet needed to be shampooed, and the WiFi connection kept dropping. The pool was cold and dirty and the hot tub was barely warm. On Monday morning, the cavalry had arrived in the name of Ricky Bell, at the front desk ( although he couldn't do anything about the WiFi or the pool and hot tub.) He is a huge asset to the hotel...manager please take note! Once the hotel is renovated, I would recommend it. Our room was large and the counter in the bathroom was spacious too. The breakfast was adequate although I would have loved some cut up fresh fruit, The woman who works in the breakfast room is warm and smiling. In fact, all of the people who work there are very friendly.

For lunch or dinner, go to Marco Pizzeria right next door. The pizza is delicious.
For fun, go on a Thimble Island Boat Tour. There are 3 boats that give tours. Try to get on the smallest one, the Islander. We took the medium sized boat and it was fine, but it would have been even better to be able to get closer to the islands.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor in the back. It will be quieter.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear flehrer,

Thank you for the review of our hotel.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience that you have encountered during your previous stay with us. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your expectations on most of the amenities and we are truly sorry for your stay did not live up to your expectations. We regret the poor experience you had during your visit.

It is our fullest intention to provide the best experience, as such, we are constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts assuring you of our best attention and service at all times. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branford
Americas Best Value Inn
New Haven Village Suites
New Haven Village Suites
#5 of 12 in New Haven
Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Guilford

Been to Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven? Share your experiences!