“Nice but Noisy”

Dining options: Reservations
Captiva Island, Florida
“Nice but Noisy”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Ate at Assaggio while visit daughter at nearby New Haven. Small, quaint restaurant located in charming Branford. We had reservations so were seated quickly. They were out of first choice on wine list, so we had to settle for second choice. Very good unobtrusive service! Risotto serving was delicious and plentiful. Other than risotto, no gluten free choices. Had to have brandy for dessert. Noise level a real problem. Had to spend evening with hand cupped to my ear to hear across table. Owners---soundproof!

Madison, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a wonderful Night!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I have been looking for a new place to dine. His coworker suggested Assaggio and we could not be more pleased. We were greeted promptly and sat quickly (although we will make a reservation next time, place was busy). We ordered a bottle of wine that the server suggested and it was delicious! The food was tasty with large portions. We took home left overs and ate for lunch the next day. Service was friendly and on point. My favorite part is the penny floor! Definitely recommend and will return!

1 Thank Sarah L
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A little piece of heaven”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Assaggio restaurant on 163 Montewese street of branford connecticut, located right on the beautiful town green is, in my opinion, the best restaurant in Connecticut. I have been dining at assaggio here and there for a little over two years now and not once have I been disappointed. The staff is welcoming and very professional when it comes to serving and taking care of their customers. Not only do the servers do a great job but also the busers and the cute bar tender. My drinks were spot on and tasted just the way I like them as did the outstanding food. The busers tend to every need as far as keeping the water glass full and clearing the tAble as soon as I finish the last bite preparing me for the next course. The new decor is outstanding, from the penny tiled floor in entrance to the wood porcelain tile. With the lights dimmed at night the new little candles glisten letting off tiny beads of light that drapes over the spotless white linen and the glasses creating quite a romantic ambiance. If you are ever in the area I highly recommend stoping by assaggio to have a splendid dining experience. I could go on forever but I won't so just check it out you won't regret it.

1 Thank Highlife1991
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Assaggio is a place that if I wanted to impress my family or friends who were visiting from out of town; This is the spot I woul”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The first thing that caught my eye was the initial friendliness and warmth displayed by the staff. The server obviously cared about us and giving us the option of where we would like to sit then followed up with getting us started out with whatever we wanted to drink. On this particular evening I was dining with my mother/father in law who would be any servers nightmare. They don't hear we'll and complain just about everything. Our server took them in stride and very patiently answered all of our questions.
As I said before it was obvious that the servers/bus people cared about what they were doing. So did the chef and the cooks. Each entree came out piping hot and tasted as delicious as it looked. My wife had a shrimp and scallops dish that was simple yet amazing. The house San Marzano tomato sauce complimented the fresh seafood nicely. I had the veal which ranks up their with any bistro or fine dining joint in New York. The portions were very generous as well. Every part of the meal was timed right and even though it was a busy night we didn't feel rushed. To wrap up the meal the very knowledgable server recommended one of Assaggio's housemate desserts. My in-laws were raving about the tiramisu. Meanwhile , I was busy reading the very nice after dinner menu that had everything from 40 yr port wines to cordials and creme brûlée. If you are looking to entertain guests or just go on a date to get a quick bite before going out , Assaggio is a great spot.

1 Thank Pistolpete33
New Haven, Connecticut
“The place to be!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Suggested from a friend, Assaggio seemed to be the place to go to on the weekends, with great food, a pleasant staff and come to find out new renovations! When we got there the restaurant did not seem to be done with all the renovations but we liked what we saw. We talked to one of the employees and it seems like Assaggio will be very up to date and classy by the time they are done with it! The food was unbelievable. It had so much flavor and everything we ate was just to die for! The Chillan Sea Bass and Duck Eggrolls were fabulous and I would defiantly go back there as well as suggest it to friends and family!

1 Thank Bianca V