“Soak in summer at the New England shore atmosphere!”

Lenny's Indian Head Inn
Ranked #4 of 144 Restaurants in Branford
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Lenny's sources the best seafood New England has to offer - from house made chowders to fresh lobsters to succulent steamers to clams and oysters on the half-shell. The fried seafood is gently breaded and cooked to order. For the land lubbers, their mouthwatering steaks and famous ribs have been a favorite for over 40 years. Lenny's Indian Head Inn has been recognized by the International Boating Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today and received Zagat's "Award of Distinction." We are open year-round.
Branford, Connecticut
“Soak in summer at the New England shore atmosphere!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Okay, so this place can be uneven as some other reviewers have pointed out, but we have found some items on the menu that are consistently great and have our out-of-town guests asking to return. Standouts include fresh clams and oysters, lobster sliders, fried clam strips, grilled scallops, and their clam chowder. Surprisingly, their hamburgers are a favorite also. Their wait staff is friendly and has a can do attitude. Overall, the atmosphere is warm and casual, and while summers are special there, it is a great place to go any time of year.

• Visited July 2013

Connecticut
“Barely okay food and dining experience for top dollar”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Lenny's has a big and promising-looking menu, but the delivery is pretty disappointing, particulary for the price. The descriptions of the meals and the prices lead one to expect top-notch everything, and it falls far short. A $25+ special, a seafood casserole, was a little over-cooked (not horrible, but this place specializes in seafood!) and delivered in way that was sloppy and unattractive. A flavorful but thin sauce for the casserole had overflowed the small baking dish, making for a mess on the larger plate. And there were scraps of french fried potatoes on the plate (not part of the order--yuck!). A mixed vegetable side dish seems to have started with fresh vegetables, then over-cooked them beyond the point of any flavor. A baked potato was okay, but oddly lacking in flavor. This would have been an acceptable entree for $15 or so, but I felt ripped off. My dining companion had fried shrimp that were large and tasty, although the oil did not taste optimally fresh to me and the fry batter was thicker than I like. A side of coleslaw was heaped so high it spilled all over the place--another mess. I would have been happy to share my thoughts during the meal, but when the manager came by to ask how everything was, I didn't have a chance to swallow and catch his eye before he was gone again. He didn't seem to want to hear a response from both of us. I see no reason to return there.

• Visited July 2013
Naples, Florida
“Wednesday jazz on the deck was an improvement!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I've been disappointed in Lenny's lately but last nite we went for jazz on the deck and it was a delight. Of course, the weather was perfect -- balmy after a hot day -- and it wasn't crowded inside or out so the kitchen wasn't overwhelmed. The Long Island oysters were amazing and the fried scallops (all 12 big ones) were done perfectly. That said: the Rhode Island Clam Chowder was low on clams and on flavor and the view of the metal temporary storage unit from the boat bar is low rent. It's a great setting -- plant some tall grasses and hide that thing!

Visited July 2013
New York, United States
“Feel really bad for Connecticut”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Although we were staying in Madison, we were advised to drive about 20 miles to this restaurant. Now I feel like if you are legally prohibited from leaving central CT, or if your mom doesn't let you out of the house often, this is probably and unfortunately the best thing around and it's all you know so it's not your fault. But if you have lived a full life, there is no reason to ever drive 20 miles to this place.
The clams I got were actual not bad. However the canned veggie specials and yellow coleslaw just made me mad about paying so much for mediocre food. They had a decent chowder.
I guess really this is Connecticut's problem and not Lenny's. But you would expect to be able to find an amazing seafood spot somewhere along the shoreline in New England and this was far from it.

• Visited June 2013
New Haven, Connecticut
“It has become very expensive for what you get....”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was here Thursday night with my sisters and we all ordered different things: I had the broiled scallops, one sister had a softshell crab and the other had a roast beef club sandwich. Ive been here many times over the years but I honestly believe the scale has "tipped" and I don't think its worth coming back to. There is no value in these entree's anymore---they are easily $20-$30 each (or more) and the portions are shrinking. To top it off, the cole-slaw one of my sister's ate had a detergent taste as though cleaning fluid of some sort found its way in to her serving. The waiter acknowledged to us that he had another customer with the same complaint that evening. My scallops were sliced into odd pieces (rather than remaining whole), over broiled and flooded in butter. Service was slow (even though it wasnt "packed"). Something is slipping away here besides the money from my wallet. Unless you REALLY MUST eat on a deck outside overlooking a salt marsh, there are many other options on the shoreline. Sad to say but I think Im all done with Lenny's.

• Visited June 2013