“Good food even if you're not a vegan”
Review of G-Zen

G-Zen
Ranked #18 of 148 Restaurants in Branford
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm a carnivore but even I found many dishes on the menu that looked appealing. the nachos were good, except for the vegan "cheese", which is not even remotely cheese-like. The vegan burger was delicious, I didn't care what was in it, it just tasted so good. The sweet potato fries were fantastic. The coconut cake was ok, and if you have to eat vegan, it's passable. It was worth trying just to see what a vegan dessert tasted like. Don't think I'd try it again

Only complaint was that it was a very very cold night and every time the front door opened, you got a blast of freezing air. I don't know how they get around it unless they install some kind of heater by the door. Don't sit anywhere near the front door on cold nights because there is no escaping it.

Service seemed a bit overwhelmed when they got slammed all at once but after a while it seemed to sort itself out. But that's a problem with just about every restaurant in this area.

There are newer reviews for G-Zen

Reviewed January 23, 2013

A very nice restaurant where the decor is harmonious and comfortable. The staff is very accommodating and knowledgeable. The appetizers are diverse and everyone can find something they like. The salads are excellent and the entrees as well. Deserts while pricey are made with great care. All the food is prepared homemade, even the condiments. I am looking forward to returning and trying their vege burgers.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was so excited to try G-Zen for my birthday dinner, and it did not disappoint! The atmosphere is really cool - clean, interesting, but not cluttered. Staff were welcoming and very friendly. And the food - the food! So good. I went with three omnivores and no one was disappointed. I had the "crab" cakes appetizer and the tempeh reuben and both were amazing. Chocolate coconut truffles for dessert - out of this world! My picky husband loved his Caesar salad (which they kindly modified to omit the red cabbage for him - he really is picky!), and my parents loved their meals as well. My one tiny criticism is that the service was a bit slow, but I am willing to wait for food this good.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The atmosphere was fine and the waite staff very enthusiastic. However, the price and the food for that price was a total disappointment. I have been vegetarian for 30 years and have had many wonderful, tasty meals. Not so easy at G-zen. We have been there 2x. The 1st time I thought I had just ordered wrong. Giving them a second shot didn't help. The food look good, but is tasteless and way over priced. I won't be returning.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

My family is mostly vegetarian and vegan, so we are always in search of places that do vegetarian food well. GZen is a new restaurant opened by the former chef of ION, a Middletown, CT vegetarian institution. I must say, I like GZen a whole lot more (which is lucky because it's a much closer drive for us!)

The ambiance of GZen is lovely. It's very modern, clean and simple. I really dislike the kitchy, eclectic look of so many vegetarian restaurants. GZen doesn't try to be cutesy, it is much more upscale than many other restaurants with this type of food. The space in the main dining room can be very tight, and can get pretty noisy.

The menu has a good deal of variety. I really like the salads, the bruschetta appetizer, and the last entree I had was delicious (I just forget what it was). If you like ION, GZen has the same fantastic sweet potato fries and incredible vegan Caesar salad. The wine list is decent, my mother had a mixed drink that she said was very watered down and tasteless. I would like to see less dishes include Daiya vegan cheese. When I cook vegan food at home, which is most of the time, I stay away from needing to use a substitute cheese. Including cheese on the bruschetta seems unnecessary. Daiya is good but has a very distinctive taste so I would prefer to see more dishes that don't even need it. Also, we have yet to find a dessert we like on the menu. We have twice ordered the coconut custard type dessert at the recommendation of the waitresses we had, and did not like it at all. However, most of the food at GZen is excellent.

The prices are a little high. The waitstaff is friendly but there has been a long wait for food each time that we have gone which is a challenge because we normally have our infant daughter with us and don't like to keep her out too late.

We will definitely go back to GZen for the ambiance and the fantastic food selection-as a vegetarian it is wonderful to be able to order anything on the menu! As I wrote in my review, I would love to see less cheese substitutes on the menu and it would be great if there was less of a wait for food. I would love if they did a Sunday brunch.

One more side-note, the owners of GZen also have a food truck called GMonkey (?) which serves the most incredible pesto and sauted onion sandwich. I'm not sure where the truck is normally located-we were visiting my parents in my hometown when we came upon it at a farmer's market-but I would go anywhere for that sandwich!

1  Thank Harper23