“The Cleanest, Loudest, Orangest Place in the Constitution State!”

Motel 6 New Haven - Branford
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Branford
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Though I'd approached it with some trepidation, I was pleasantly surprised by the Motel 6 in Branford. We were in town for a university graduation, so, despite making reservations months in advance, it was pretty slim pickings. However, we found the place to be spotlessly clean, basically comfortable, and staffed by a kind and competent crew.

My only real qualm was the orange IKEAness of it all. There were no carpets - a boon for cleanliness and those with allergies - but it did make the room seem over-large and echoey. In fact, noise was a large problem: not because of rude or overly-noisy guests and staff but because of the nature of the building. Whilst we were there, they were remodeling the hallways, so the sounds echoed extra-loud, but the lack of carpet, drapes (they had really nice blinds), and furniture (everything was simple, IKEA-style, faux-Danish modern without padding) will not help at any time.

In the end, though, it was a really nice stay. I was especially pleased with the staff's willingness to provide extra bedding, etc. That and it was incredibly, incredibly clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Brighty18

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This motel 6 is an older property and is currently undergoing renovation in some areas. The room we were given had a strong paint smell and a fan unit that was impossible to turn down or off.. we stayed during a cold, rainy period in May and the room was freezing. The bathrooms are smallish and pretty cramped but this is a Motel 6... The rooms were clean and the front desk staff was helpful, even though they claimed that the fan units could not be turned off.. If you want to stay at a reliable (if freezing) budget motel convenient for New Haven and the central CT coast this is an OK choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Apparently recently renovated but kept the same low prices.
At this price point I look for clean rooms and don't worry about the amenities. This was a very good place for the money and a good deal.
Very handy to I 95 and lots of good restaurants nearby. No freeway noise in my room.
The decorations are a bit spartan with hardwood type floors and no drawers, just cubby holes in a dresser of sorts. Don't have to worry about leaving anything in the drawers:-)
I would use this place again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ajyes72
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Recently renovated this is still a Motel 6 but..I like this rest stop. I drive to New Haven frequently. I I used to stay at NH hotels that cost 5x more. Beds were no more comfortable, service haughty, and parking fees outrageous. This my third stay. The front desk folks have always been welcoming. Place allows dogs. No amenities. I Bring shampoo and conditioner.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cbicaza
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked this based off previous reviews. I arrived late, around 1:30am. I had to check in using the overnight window, which I hate. Check in was fairly smooth. Got to my room and put some stuff down and then went back out to get the rest. I came back and couldnt get in my room. The door wouldnt open. I had to get the guy to come and open it with the master hard key, as none of the electronic keys worked. The room was odd. Theres this huge area with nothing in it (see photo). Theres a small desk and chair in the middle of the area. Apparently Motel 6 is so cheap, they couldnt get something to put there? I never used the TV or internet. Bed was decent. Shower wasnt that good. Half of the water came out of the tub faucet and not out of the shower head. Its a non smoking room, and it had an ashtray in it, turned upside down, with a no smoking symbol. Yes, im not kidding (see photo). Check out also was an issue as they couldnt get the drawer open behidn the counter. I dont think ill be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank DaysofThundr46
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was somewhat skeptical about staying at this hotel based on recent reviews but I'm happy to say that I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel. For an economy hotel, the room was spotless and well maintained. I couldn't detect any odor--smoke or otherwise--that other people complained about. Connie, the hotel receptionist, was very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again when I'm in the area. It's an excellent value!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here for two nights because of an unplanned trip for a family emergency. Yep, it was cheap, but you get what you pay for! The room was super musty smelling, kind of an 'eau de cat pee' scent. The polyester comforter had cigarette burn holes in it. There were various rooms where I think people were staying for an extended length of time, so doors were propped open like it was a dorm building. People also put bags of garbage out in the hall way, not sure what was up with that!

The woman who ran the front desk was super sweet and kind, though. That was a positive. Oh, and the vending machine sells condoms, so you're set for any unplanned sex that may occur!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Alicia67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branford
Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven
#2 of 7 in Branford
Quality Inn East Haven
Quality Inn East Haven
#1 of 1 in East Haven

Been to Motel 6 New Haven - Branford? Share your experiences!