“Great Place!”

By The Sea Inn and Spa
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Branford
By The Sea Inn and Spa
Ranked #5 of 5 Branford B&B and Inns
Santa Cruz, California
“Great Place!”
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I don’t normally write reviews of places I’ve stayed, but I had to just write a note to say what a fantastic time we had at By the Sea. The staff was very friendly and helpful and also gave us a great dinner recommendation. We had a couples massage in the afternoon that was incredible and we both enjoyed immensely. The room was immaculate and tastefully decorated in a unique garden motif. The king bed was extremely comfortable and we both had the best sleep in months! It was the perfect place for us to unwind and decompress after a stressful couple of months. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magellen_11

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Long Island (NY)
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed overnight for our anniversary. I had a wonderful, wonderful time but the inn itself isn't what made the experience great, it just contributed to it. I've stayed elsewhere, where it is the hotel that really has that wow factor. This isn't it.

We arrived late due to my husband's work schedule. When I called to say we wouldn't be there until 8-8:30, we were told nobody would be there (??) and they'd leave our key in the mailbox. As it turns out, the innkeeper - who lives on property - had his eye out for us from his apartment. He met us in the parking lot and showed us to our room, pointing out the (tiny) kitchen and den. Now I am a huge fan of jacuzzi tubs in hotels, so my husband made sure to book the room that had this. Unfortunately it didn't look too clean so we didn't take advantage of it. The rest of the room was beautiful though, and very clean. The bed was super comfortable.

We got up the next day to find pastries on the kitchen table covered with a paper towel. They looked like they were purchased at the supermarket. We ate our leftovers from the night before instead - guests can utilize the fridge, which is stocked with complimentary beverages. However, there is no microwave in the guest kitchen. (Note: check out the Indian restaurant in town. It's delicious!)

I had booked a couples massage for us and was really eager for this treatment since I've seen good reviews of the spa and it won some awards. It was a good massage, but I've had better. The spa is occupied by a portion of the house and isn't a true day spa in my opinion. No robes here - just undress in the treatment room. During the massage, I asked for more pressure to be applied, only to find out that I was charged extra for that, and wasn't told this would happen. It was fine, but I think it somewhat poor taste. I feel that if more pressure was an upgraded treatment, I should've been told about this.

We stopped in New Haven on the way home and again in Greenwich (that town closes early for some reason??) We had a great time there.

All in all, the inn was good but not a place I'd return to. The value however, was excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spartanchick1
new haven, ct
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I live only a few miles from By the Sea but enjoyed my stay there - overnight at the inn plus spa the next morning. The room was clean, the inn lovely (I had it to myself and watched t.v. in the "den" while snacking on bowls of treats), the spa services delightful. Only slight drawback was that breakfast was decent but no more - Danish, cereal and fruit, yogurt - not that I expected more, I knew it was continental - but I think I expected the croissants in the web site photo!

All in all, highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2010

This was a the second year in a row that we had taken advantage of "By the Sea Inn & Spa's" "Mid-week Getaway". As Innkeepers ourselves we require rejuvenation every so often. "By the Sea Inn and Spa" is just the ticket. We arrived mid-afternoon, checked into the Inn and then each had a massage. The Inn and Spa is close to the center of town and we were able to walk to a nearby restaurant for dinner. By the time we arrived back from dinner the Spa was closed for the day and very peaceful. The next morning there was a continental breakfast in the breakfast room and we enjoyed our coffee on the upper deck. After checking out we drove down scenic "Rt 146" and took the Thimble Islands Cruise.

We had been only twenty minutes from our house and away just a little over 24 hours but we came back to our Bed & Breakfast completely refreshed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Went in for a massage. Very nice atmosphere and staff. Definitely recommend it!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I booked a pedicure with my mom at By the Sea a few weeks ago. Wow, what a great time we had! The staff was incredible, I felt like I was out with the girls. We all gabbed like we've known each other forever. The pedi was very well done and extremely relaxing, the whole experience was fantastic. I would absolutely recommend By the Sea for any excursion with your girlfriends.

Stayed January 2010
Connecticut
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Single mom, not a lot of cash on hand, decides to take a mini spa-vaca with daughter.
Boy did I pick the right one! My daughter and I were treated like royalty. We arrived a little early and the front desk woman let us check in with no fuss, she was so sweet and friendly. We stayed in the "Queen Room" which I thought was charming. After unpacking, my daughter and I decompressed from our travels with a cup of tea in their charming breakfast room and then it was on to our services. The pedicure was so relaxing. A warm soak, foot and leg massage and pretty polish - lots of good conversation and many giggles made this a great choice for us. Don't hesitate to book a service with Mandy - she's superb! We walked into Branford center for dinner. The town is very quaint, very New England. We were told we could light a fire in the lounge after spa hours, which we did, with another cup of herbal tea to complete the evening. Leaving the next day, both my daughter and I were restored and very happy we picked By The Sea.

• Stayed January 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branford
Holiday Inn Express Branford/New Haven
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Rodeway Inn Branford
Rodeway Inn Branford
#2 of 7 in Branford

Been to By The Sea Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!