“Sushi at Nellie Greens, ONE TIME IS TOO MUCH! ! !”
Review of Nellie Green's

Nellie Green's
Ranked #5 of 150 Restaurants in Branford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: It's located in a marina and has views of the water and boats with an outside patio. It can be hard to find with all the large boats in the yard.
Reviewed July 5, 2012

After much review on this site, my wife and I decided to have dinner at Nellie Greens for the first time. The wait staff is SUPERB and I have highest praises for our waitress who left NOTHING unattended to. We eat out at least 2 times a week at newly found restaurants. We ordered the Calamari appetizer, a dozen clams and Grilled Sea Bass. We've eaten Calamari in the best restaurants to the greasiest diners and THIS WAS THE TOUGHEST RUBBERIEST CALAMARI I EVER GOT ANYWHERE!!! The taste was good but my jaw ached after chewing just 3 pieces! The clams were "SO-SO". The grilled bass started out great, but as we ate it, (starting from the tail) we were horrified to see that the thicker part was TOTALLY RAW (NOT UNDERDONE!!) and we had just eaten some of it. When I showed our wonderful waitress the raw fish she grimaced at the obviously raw fish and graciously took it back, only to return with the chef's solution to my complaint. He was RECOOKING our chopped up partially eaten meal!!! That was the last straw,,, We LEFT!! We brought home the second time cooked (now overcooked) meal and fed the raccoon that lives next door! The bill was $60, of course we left our waitress a $13 tip, so she knew we weren't dissatisfied with her. Then we went to LENNYS on RT 146 for some good food (COOKED ONCE and DELICIOUS)
Sorry Nellie Greens, but RUBBER IS RUBBER AND RAW IS RAW!!
P.S. I have never written a revue before, "good" or "bad". This revue had to be done. I paid good money, I expected good food, not trial and error RECOOKING!! Come on Chef, if you screw up a meal AT LEAST OFFER A REPLACEMENT!

5  Thank Foodaholic56

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Nellie Green's is a family favorite and we also bring guests here frequently. The food is always beautifully presented, top-notch (love the Beef Wellington bites starter!) and consistent. The boneless "Wings St. Claire", their version of Buffalo wings, have a very crispy light crust encasing incredibly moist tender chicken. My favorite dish is their lobster roll. Large, tender, warm, reconizable pieces of lobster, served not on the boring standard hotdog bun, but on a flaky puff pastry shell. My husband loves the Kobe beef burger, also tender, seasoned perfectly and not needing any additional toppings. Salads are fresh and crisp and sides like their sweet potato fries are hits with us. There is a full bar available. Save room for dessert, especially the warm bread pudding. The servers are warm, responsive, but not intrusive, and Mike, the owner, is always attentive and professional.

Nellie Green's serves lunch and dinner seven days a week. Breakfast with a View on Sundays offers imaginative brunch dishes like Lobster Benedict, smoked trout omelette, and my personal favorite, French toast stuffed with Fontina cheese, Canadian bacon and maple glazed pears. They only use fresh eggs from Soffer's, a local farm in Branford.

The restaurant is in a marina on the Branford River, and takes a bit of searching, as the town of Branford doesn't allow large business signs. Look for the discrete green signs that are about the size of a street sign. Be prepared to linger and enjoy the food and the view of the river and pleasure boats from either from the dining room or the outside patio. As summer dining outside at any place near the water, we were more comfortable when we applied a light spraying of insect repellent before entering the restaurant.

3  Thank OwnedByCatsInConn
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We have been to Nellie Green's on numerous occasions and the food and service is always consistent. The view from the outside deck ( weather permitting) is great while dining. There are great appetizers to go with your entree. A must if you are in the area.

2  Thank xzoam
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Nellie Green's is a restaurant hidden in a marina @ 50 Maple street.

The chef is creative and the menu is gourmet along with sandwiches. I recommend the Portobello mushroom sandwich served with a green salad.

There is a patio to sit outside overlooking the boats and on weekends there is live music

The Fall & Winter is worth going and Happy hour 4-6 has all drinks half off.

4  Thank Barbara1369