“Lovely Afternoon”
Review of Thimble Islands

Thimble Islands
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Branford
Reviewed August 13, 2014

So glad we did this trip! My husband and I have lived in CT our entire lives and somehow had missed this little gem. Another couple we know raved about it, so we decided to give it a try. When researching it beforehand, I checked out the website www.thimbleislands.com which gave some basics about location, times, cost, etc. The website is a bit disorganized and haphazard, I got enough info to head out. Since it was a beautiful Saturday afternoon in August when we went, there were plenty of people on the dock waiting to go on the cruise too. Yes, parking is a bit of a challenge, so I recommend just paying the $5 and parking across the street at the church. Or just "stalk" some people and hope for the best, but no one seemed to be leaving when we were looking for a parking spot! Head towards the dock at the far left of the area. There are 3 boats that do the cruise, ranging in size from like 20 people to 50 people. It appeared that they left approximately quarter of the hour, on the hour, and quarter after the hour. However, since there were dozens of people waiting on the dock, it appeared that people just filed onto the next available boat until it filled up, while the rest of the people waited for the next boat to show up. That being said, we only had to wait about 15 min to get on a boat. We happened to get the larger, two-decker boat. I originally thought I wanted to be on the top deck so I could take better pics (I take a LOT of pics!), but the top was filled so we had to sit on the lower deck. It turned out that this was better anyway. On the bottom deck I could move about and take pics off either side of the boat, while on the top deck you must remain seated at all times. It was a lovely and informative ride, going around each of the dozens of islands and admiring the amazing homes. Fun to learn about the pirates too! The entire cruise is about 45 minutes long, then allow a few minutes before and after for boarding. Afterwards, we walked around the dock and village and had an ice cream. Overall, a lovely few hours on the CT shore! If you haven't done this, don't miss out!

5  Thank IslandBride25

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I had never heard of the Thimble Islands, but a friend of mind found it in her guidebook. It was a bit difficult to find and parking is a problem, but once you get on the boat with the guide, all is forgotten. I found it so interesting and would never had discovered it on my own...Kudos to a lovely time! There is one small deli to grab a sandwich, and no restrooms, only portable toilets on the beach.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had an enjoyable 45 minute cruise around this cluster of rock islands with mostly luxury houses on them.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

The website was a little confusing. When we got to the location, we didn’t see anyone or a boat around. We left and drove around to see if we were in the wrong place. After not finding any other place, we returned to our original spot. This time a boat was docked and we saw a small sign (maybe it was a removable sign that wasn’t there before). Wanted Captain Bob but got Captain Mike. Afterward, as we were leaving, another sign was up for Captain Bob that was not there earlier. Maybe his tours were cancelled earlier due to dizzily weather. Although the weather wasn’t wonderful, we enjoyed our trip looking at the homes on the islands and listening to Captain Mike. Also, we appreciate that he didn't pitch for a tip like so many places do!

2  Thank katem j
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The sites are beautiful and tranquil. The narrator did a great job. This was my second time and I think I enjoyed it even more than the first time. Took my husband and best friends along.

I would like to comment on the web site though because it was very confusing, did not have quite enough information and the computer would not forward it because of too many "redirects" though I am not sure exactly what that means. I got the departure times from the phone answering service.

1  Thank Nancy V