“Bed Bugs, Filth, and a Total Lack of Customer Service - Better Options in Branford for Same Price”
Review of Branford Motel

Branford Motel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Branford
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 26, 2014

If you are staying in Branford, steer clear of the Branford Motel unless you really have no money, need to stay in Branford or need a long-term rental.
My first stay was for three weeks and after looking at three rooms, found one that was barely acceptable. Each of the rooms has flaws, all lacked a suitable level of cleanliness. Supposedly clean and ready to rent rooms had dirty floors, were not vacuumed, had stained towels, cigarette holes in all the bed spreads and sheets. When you pulled the bed spread down, there were hairs on the "clean" sheets. The rooms all smelled from cigarette smoke as it is clear that the mattresses, carpeting, drapes have not been replaced or updated in over ten years based on their smell and condition and the smoke is embedded into everything. The walls are also cardboard thin and the noise travels from one room to another as if there were simply open access between the rooms.
There was a distinct lack of customer service from housekeeping to the desk in dealing with an excessive amount of noise complaints. I left truly hoping that I would not have to patronize this motel, ever again.
I returned to Branford with a week before I could move into a roommate situation and trying to save for the security deposit, I reluctantly returned to the Branford Motel. Due to a late check-in, I didn't get to inspect the rooms and was not given a choice. The first room issued was in the back of the motel and on the second floor where they always try to place extended stay guests. It is clear more than evident that they don't maintain the upstairs rooms with the same caliber or enthusiasm as the first floor rooms.
The noise level was extreme from the time I checked in at 10 pm to when I started to dose off at around 2:30 am when I was awakened again by what sounded like a video game being played at an excessive volume. I tried to go back to sleep but found myself feeling discomfort from what I later discovered were approximately 25 bed bug bites on my body that were all swollen from an allergic reaction. I saw at least three bed bugs moving through the ribbon of the mattress where they like to hide when I examined the mattress closely. I called the front desk and I was asked if I would wait until the morning to change rooms. The night clerk finally relented and gave me another room. While this bed was visually without bugs, I found six hairs again on what were supposed to be "clean" sheets in a room ready for rent. The fridge in the room smelled so bad and was so filthy I had to leave my food in the car for fear that the food would absorb the odor. I wouldn't even store my shoes in the fridge, it was that dirty.
Despite the room change, I could not sleep and then was constantly disturbed by the same residents in the neighboring room who were now playing a Rock Band type video game from 8 in the morning. I made no less than a dozen calls to the front desk to the point where they would not take my calls anymore. As I write this review, I am now in a third room, having not slept for over 48 hours and if it weren't so cold I would have probably slept in my car.
It was clear that the motel was not interested in resolving matters and I suggested they refund my monies and I would just sacrifice the additional money for a different location. They refused any concessions other than to say, for next week if I didn't file a complaint with the health department I would receive a discount. After bed bugs, you don't want to stay another hour let alone a week. I showed them the bites on my arms and legs and face but without a refund I couldn't go anywhere else. So I suffer in emotional and physical distress because I can't sleep and I am trying to avoid scratching the welts on my body.
The nightly rate is $50 and with the coupons you can pick up at the rest stops on the highway, you can stay at a Baymont or Motel 6 for $57 on a nightly rate including tax. The weekly rate is $230 including tax, however they make long term occupants check out after four weeks for one day before checking back in as a long-term stay. This is so they can convert you to a long term guest and not have to collect the CT 15% lodging tax but instead of charging the $200 rate that you were paying for the previous four weeks plus collecting the $30 weekly tax, they raise the rate to $230 and pocket the $30 for themselves. Believe me when I tell you, they do nothing to deserve it. It should be viewed as a last resort as it truly is a "last" resort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor were noted to be better taken care of although no room in this motel merits...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank thepepperman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
East Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was going to stay here for about 9 weeks, but could only get through 2. I am a non-smoker, and everytime I walked into my bathroom, I could smell cigarette smoke. There were different bugs in the bathroom. The walls were paper-thin. People were inconsiderate by shouting outside at all times of the night. One day I had no housekeeping services and had to go get a towel at the front desk. The housekeeping was terrible - areas were not wiped down at all.

Room Tip: Choose another motel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Lady1963
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here once or twice. Great for us as adults, but not really a family place. A little "shady" - can't think of another way to put that. Good location though, near some great restaurants like margarita's and there is a subway in the parking lot for great snacks or lunch. Also just down the street from Stop and shop and a movie theater. Very convenient and inexpensive if that's what you need. Also just a block away from the highway onramp. Also a truck stop nearby for some great fast food and convenient shopping.

Room Tip: One of the room has a jacuzzi tub! That was fun!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was a terrible, terrible place. Very dirty and we could hear people having sex through the walls. The front desk man would not give us our money back. We left around 11pm after checking in at 9:30pm to find another hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank vintageblue
new haven
Reviewed April 1, 2012

the photo listed here is not the actual property, that is holiday inn express which strangely is owned by the same group, most of the guests here are live ins, it seems apparent that prostitution and drug activity are a norm here. i then found out that within the past 8 days 4 dead bodies turned up in the hotel, one was a small infant! the rooms are dirty, the walls paper thin. i found a broken crack pipe on my floor and roach traps not only under but in the bed. there were also definite signs of bed bugs. when i complained kenny told me that they didnt need my service and that i could leave but would certainly not be refunded. entirely unethical to the customer. they don't try to work with you nor do they solve any issues. this place should be shut down. absolutly disgusted that i even stepped foot in this place. what a joke!

Room Tip: DONT STAY HERE! SAVE YOUR MONEY! if staying in the area and looking for a quality budget hotel try d...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank lillypadcoutute
Reviewed January 25, 2012

During my stay my family got infested with bed bugs and we found many other bugs inthe room upon taking our mattress and box spring outside we told the worker named Kenny and the room service about the problem.needless to say we never got a new bed or box spring.

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank ihatebranfordmotel
New England
Reviewed September 29, 2009

This place is known to at least some locals as "Bubbles and Cuddles". We stayed not knowing better, and not being able to find any other place in town anyhow. Amazingly, we had generally speaking a comfortable and restful stay. Had a very large and comfortable hot tub in the room. The large room turned out to be very clean, but did need some airing out. However, the reading lights over the bed were missing bulbs, there wasn't any TV remote, and the front desk didn't have either bulbs or remote. (Maybe the usual clientel doesn't do much reading in bed.) Plus only one of the faucets for the hot tub had a handle. Needed to remove the handle from that faucet and screw it onto the other in order to control both hot and cold water. The bed was very clean and quite comfortable. The room was relatively quite, I've stayed in more expensive hotels where the walls were far thinner. There was however a 1/2 hour sometime around 3AM when all hell broke loose in the room upstairs, truly impressive. Probably a late night return from a wedding party. A Subway restaurant was basically located on the hotel grounds.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RedFoxNewEngland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branford
Americas Best Value Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Tower Inn & Suites
Tower Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Guilford

Been to Branford Motel? Share your experiences!