“false advertising!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Acorn Acres Campground

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bozrah
Acorn Acres Campground
Hartford, Connecticut
“false advertising!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Never again will we go to Acorn Acres!!!!!! The website makes it seem "decent"..... We arrived on a friday afternoon. We decided not to pack milk and eggs...figured we would get from their "store" They didn't have ANYTHING.... the refridgerator coolers were unplugged...open... with old warm beverages still inside. The nearest store was 6 plus miles away. If we had known prior to arrival... we would of been more prepared. No ice. No campwood. Dirty and torn couches and chairs in their so-called rec hall. The pool is CERTAINLY not an olympic sized pool. You must wear a hair cap if your hair is longer than 3 inches... VERY limited pool hours. jacuzzi broken... . Hope your shots are up to date if you go on their playground. old...rusty.... they have very "odd" people walking around staring at your campsites. very "cult-like" no privacy at all in shower area. pond is a puddle. NOT WORTH the 50 dollars per night for a tent site with water and electric. The woman at the front desk isn't particularly pleasant,,,, appears she has been doing it for a VERY VERY long time.... losing her personality along the way.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank jn e

Solo
Business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Me and my family have been seasonal for over ten years in the beginning it was fun to be there and activities everyday. As the owner SIS got older the worse it got activities were delayed like hours and the rules don't get me started!! I got yelled at for letting my friends daughter walk my dad she was 16 what's the problem with that??? All the staff was drinking alcohol during a pool tournament around children EVEN THE OWNER!!!! The owner is like miserable and if u play the pool tournament agents her you could take a nap befor u even got to go maybe even befor she got to the table. A lot of the adults and kids are so rude the bathrooms are disgusting. I got planters warts from the women's bathroom floor. And when our camper got repossessed she charged us like 2,000 dollars to take the deck off the site that was there when we started. If you want your kids to have fun go somewhere else anywhere but here!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Momo042998
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I have camped in CT for the last few years and decided to try a new campground. I saw an ad in my local paper for Acorn Acres and decided to call. I should have known from my initial contact with the owner that this was not the place for me and my friends but I was going to give it a chance. When we arrive at 2:15PM (check in is 3PM), we were scolded for coming early (I wanted to set up my tent before it started to downpour and I offered to pay extra) and told that "we are not ready for you". OK we will sit and wait until the site is ready - mind you no one was at the site according to the neighbors around my site. My children were yelled at for asking to play outside because the basketball courts were not swept and if they were injuried, who would be responsible. All equipment needs to be signed out which is great; however, when I went to signout the items I was reprimanded for touching the wrong piece of paper and asked "who did I think I was". After waiting 1/2 hour, we were checked in and given the LONG list of camp rules. Looking around the campground, a few of the ammendities advertised were no longer available (hot tub) and the playground/mini golf areas were old and rundown. Although our campsite was large, there was no level area to put the tent. Although the restroom was very close, it was filthy and no one wanted to use it. There was no hot water for showers so we had to drive to another area to get clean.

The only plus was the pool - however, it opened at 11AM and closed at 5PM and unless your were with a married adult, you could not swim in the pool.

Bottom line - not my cup of tea and I do not recommend this campground. Try Hidden Acres in Preston - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Myschief2
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

When I read the reviews I was hesitant to go .the bathrooms were nice and clean a few daddy long legs in the morning but what do you expect its camp. I brought my 2 grands for the first time they loved it. the activitys were fun. The seasonal people were sooooo nice we took site 17 we met some nice people . my husband and I had one complaint is that they could be a little less strict with the pool rules . Other wise we realy enjoyed oir selves. The showeres were nice and hot also. We definatly would go again thank you sis we had a great time .
The ferris

• Stayed August 2010
7 Thank rencarmar
Manchester, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

We actually have been camping here for a few years now and each year gets better.If you are looking for rest and relaxation,this is the place.If you are looking for activities you can find that too.Our site is wooded with some sun and its perfect for us.There are other sites that have more sun.The entire campground is very well maintained and clean.
The pool area is very nice and there are rules and rules are necessary.There are two ponds with a walking path between them.The larger pond is stocked and in the sun,the smaller pond is shaded and very relaxing with a stone bench for sitting.
We have enjoyed camping at Acorn Acres so much that we have become seasonal.Sis and her staff are great-she runs a tight ship and I respect her for that.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mobetter1
Naugatuck, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

we were going to stay for a weekend but after looking at the reviews were very wary of taking our two small children there. the rules are worse than a communist country. i did get a full refund which was more than i had anticipated but we had to call and complain for almost two weeks to even get a response. The owner seems schizophrenic and talks about herself in the third person. if you are over 70 and want A QUIET PLACE with lots of rules, this is your campground. anyone else, go elsewhere. A shame, if they cared about making campers happy, they would have lots of young families.

Stayed June 2010
8 Thank czajczaj
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

We've been coming to this campground since 2001 when our youngest was 1. We're not seasonal. We come about 6 times a year. Maybe twice in our times of going was the bathrooms messy and cleaned right away. That's usually when the weekend is over crowded. That's the sloppy campers!!! Helmets are required by law and Sis's rule. Bike riding at night is dangerous and if parents were smart would listen to the rule. Bathing caps aren't required anymore because of the new pump. Anyone with a pool knows how long hair clogs the filter. My kids have been following the rule and love it here. Because they do follow the rules I don't have to worry about their safety. We love it and are planning on going here this weekend!!!

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank Caglerocks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bozrah
Mohegan Sun
Courtyard Norwich
Courtyard Norwich
#4 of 5 in Norwich
Comfort Suites- Norwich

Been to Acorn Acres Campground? Share your experiences!