“good steak dinner”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Park Ave.
Description: Come visit us and enjoy our brand new Gastro Pub concept where we have incorporated handcrafted beers, boutique wines, small batch bourbons and artistic culinary creations into a high end pub atmosphere.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I had a skirt steak , and it was quite delish... I had wine as well , and it was good, then i had baked alaska, and it was good

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Had dinner the night they opened and have been huge fans ever since. Jared, one of the owners, greets nearly everyone and sets the tone for friendly attentive service. Fabulous burgers and fries. Amazing double-handed BLT - on gluten-free bread. Dinner menu just as tasty with steaks, chicken, fish and pasta dishes on the regular menu and always enticing drink and dinner specials. Menu is eclectic, well-prepared and beautifully presented (the deviled eggs come in their own hand-made nests). Inside dining a bit noisy (that's what comes from always being busy) but wonderful patio when weather is warmer. From drinks to dessert - a winner.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I've been very excited to eat at Republic since it first opened; it comes from a group with a good reputation. The menu is not extensive, but has a nice selection.

We were seated in a small, attractive dining room in the front of the building. I gave the restaurant a noise rating of energetic. Truthfully, it was seriously noisy. The decor is casual and it has a nice feel. The space was full and didn't feel crowded. Unfortunately the size of the room made all the sounds just bounce around.

It was a Friday night so service a little too slow. It was about 5 minutes to be told "I'll be right back", and another 5 to ask about drink orders...and they another 5-10 to actually take the orders. All in all it took about 15-20 minutes to get a drink.

The food was very good. It was difficult to not pick a group of apps-they all looked good. We chose the calamari, which was terrific. The burgers and fish were perfect. My au poivre burger was the best that I have had in a while. It had a number of strong ingredients and they were all well balanced.

One comment, both our fry orders were chewy as soon as they cooled. My companion said that hers were that way as soon as they got there. Mine were nice and crispy when they arrived and got tough later. Since they are the standard offering with meals I think they should be perfect.

I'm not sure that I will be back for a regular dinner. It's pretty pricey for burgers and fish and chips. We'll definitely be back when it's warmer. Maybe sit outside with a bottle of wine and a mix of apps.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

My wife and I went on a Sat. nite with our teen grandsons. It was crowded, but our table was ready. The waitress was very helpful with the menu which was certainly eclectic. Lite bites, salads, med bites and full dinners. We had cheesesteak sandwiches, chicken parm and broiled salmon...all very good.
Dessert was baked Alaska, which was a new treat for the boys. All in all Republic has a great bar scene for those who want it, lots of energy throughout the restaurant, a varied menu, and somewhat reasonable prices. It all came to $125, including a very generous tip. Definitely worth a visit!

1  Thank alan c
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had heard it was really good and it sure was! Terrific food ("gastro-pub"), nice atmosphere (casual classy and fun) high-quality ingredients, well-prepared and attractively presented. There were five of us and all loved it...we shared two apps: chicken mole (!) nachos (unique and terrific) and calimari (the thicker kind, not for everyone). Then au poivre burger, patty melt burger (2), blue cheese burger and lobster mac/cheese...which we all sampled. Would be a great side dish for a group. One of us sprang the $2 for sweet potato fries and liked them...two did the same for parmesan fries and it wasn't worth it. Then we all shared two desserts...vanilla cheese cake (nice and creamy, not stiff/firm) and bread pudding ala mode. Terrific!

One word of advice...Make Reservations! We walked in on a Saturday at 530pm and there was one table available and we would have to be done at 7. So we looked in the bar area where you can be served at a few tables but none were open....so we sat at the small secondary bar they have that overseas the prep chefs / pizza oven. It made for a fun show! And we saw first hand the meticulous care the guys take in everything they do.

They also have nice selections of beer, scotch and bourbon! And service was good. We saw plenty of other things we want to try on the menu. Just wish it were in WHC, Hartford or Glastonbury!